Please help: Cherokee Sunset Dogwood Not Flowering

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by mariav, Jun 19, 2010.

1. mariav

mariav Member

Hi All,

I bought a cherokee sunset dogwood two and a half years ago and it hasn't flowered. My understanding is that it should have red bracts before the leaves appear. The last two springs it hasn't flowered. It's about 6 feet tall. It looks healthy and it has beautiful variegated leaves. I bought it from a reputable tree nursery in Richmond, BC. Any ideas why it hasn't flowered?

Thanks for your help.

2. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

It may not be old enough.

3. mariav

mariav Member

O.K. I can't seem to find any references in my internet search that states that Cherokee Sunset Dogwoods will only flower once they mature. If so, how old does it need to be to flower? Anyone have a reference or link to explain this?

I should mention that the dogwood is placed where it gets 6 hours of morning sun and part-shade to full-shade from the afternoon sun.

Thanks for your help.

4. MarkVIIIMarc

MarkVIIIMarc Active Member

mariav, before you get worried, any late frosts or unusual winter weather?

Do you have other dogwoods which are blooming normally?

5. mariav

mariav Member

The cherokee sunset dogwood looks great and healthy. It just doesn't bloom. We do have a pink flowering dogwood (stellar pink) at the front of the house (full south facing sun) and it seems to be doing well. The stellar pink is still young (about 5 feet in height) and it does flower in May. I've had it for two years and it has flowered each spring. Although I'm surprised it doesn't have more bracts.

As for frosts, well I live in Vancouver, so we had that month long winter snow fall in January 2009. Other than that, this past winter has been mild. The cherokee sunset is located north facing so it doesn't get much sun until the spring and through summer (at which point it gets 6 hours of morning sun and a little afternoon sun).

Any ideas?

6. cindys

cindys Active Member

Have a look at this information:

http://knol.google.com/k/care-of-the-flowering-dogwood-tree#

It says: "Inconsistent Flowering -
    Weak or consistent lack of flowering may be the result of unique genetic variation. Dogwoods are reportedly subject to the influence of provenance, not blooming well if transplanted far from their individual ancestral location. Some dogwoods must reach a fully mature age to produce large crops of flowers."

I don't have that type of dogwood, but do have a Cornus Kousa 'Satomi' which is exceptionally beautiful this year (as are the ones at VanDusen Botanical Garden)...no idea why. When I was looking for a tree for my yard, the Kousa was recommended over the Florida by the arborists I spoke to.

That, of course, does not help you, but maybe you just have to be really patient until the tree matures. One other thought...have you contacted the nursery where you bought the tree to find out if that is a common problem?

Cindy