Acer palmatum 'Filigree'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Elmore, Apr 14, 2004.

1. Elmore

Elmore Active Member 10 Years

Here is Acer palmatum 'Filigree'. I've had this cultivar for a couple of years now and it has never looked this good before. I may bump it up one more time but it is tempting to find a location in the landscape and plant this little one now. Photo made this evening, Wed. 4-14-04.

Attached Files:

2. MtnGato

MtnGato Active Member

This is a new one for me, but very promising.

Attached Files:

3. mjh1676

mjh1676 Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Spring foliage

Spring leaves lit by setting sun.

Attached Files:

4. jhayes5032

jhayes5032 Active Member

A cute little variegated dissectum, needs PM shade

Attached Files:

5. ShariN

ShariN Member

Here are a couple of pictures of my Acer Palmatum 'Filigree'. Took three years of waiting to get it. Had one for sale at the yearly Japenese Garden sale.
    Will post better pictures as I can.

Attached Files:

6. ShariN

ShariN Member

A little better over all view of the tree. All the weird stuff around the base is keep my miniature chickens off it until I can put moss and small rocks around it.

Attached Files:

7. mattlwfowler

mattlwfowler Active Member Maple Society

This is the only variegated dissectum I find attractive, the subtle pale coloration and the unusual serrations along the lobes give it a very soft appearance.

8. cherbstritt

cherbstritt Member

Hi Elmore,
    My A. Fairyhair is growing very slowly. Probably only 6 - 8 inches in the past two years. Do you think that fertilizing it with Micracle Fertilizer might help make it take off? I have been watering it during the droughts.

One more question... Do you know of any A. cultivars that have orange or pink leaves all summer? Without greening out? I bought one cultivar called orange dream and another pink from Waysid G. and they both turn green in the summer.

My coral bark A. is producing lots of seedlings under it... Any chance that some of these will have red bark. Guess I could just wait but that could be years.

Finally I have an A. Full Moon that produces lots of seeds but none of them ever germinate? Any ideas... is it sterile?

Thanks again,
    Chris

9. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

Finally got my grubby paws on one of these. Love the slight variegation and will post pictures in a couple of days. There is some new summer growth which is interesting because I read that it is very slow growing, so I will wait and see just how vigorous it actually is.

David

10. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

All right, here are some pictures. It appears to be growing fast and very healthily. It is a liner that I received from Eastfork Nursery just about a week ago. It seems to be in very good health. Pictures were taken within the last couple of days.

Attached Files:

11. sasquatch

sasquatch Active Member

May 2009

Attached Files:

12. nelran

nelran Active Member

Finally, this year, is the first time that I'm really starting to aprecciate this wonderful cultivar. I bought it two years ago as a one year graft (first picture). It was pretty small, and during this two years I never realized its quite uncommon leaves for a dissectum. Its unusual delicate texture leaves and the lemon green color (as it was painted with a highlighter) is an aye catching. Now is atracting such interest around people here, even with this little size and surrounded by others competing cultivars. According to the label, it is called 'Filigree Lace'.
    Except for the first pic (taken in 2008), the rest of pictures are from early Spring 2010. (Contrasting Background against a A.P. 'Suminagashi').
    Wonderful specimen. Enjoy.

Nelran

Attached Files:

13. cthenn

cthenn Active Member

My Filigree has done something pretty cool. I have it partially shaded, and it gets stronger sun on one side of the plant. The side that gets more sun has started to show a strong tinge of red on parts of the leaf. So I kind of have this cool color fade from red to green across the plant, if viewed from a distance. And the side that gets the least sun has the darkest leaves. So it really is an interesting contrast from one side of the plant to the other.

Attached Files:

14. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

Acer palmatum "Filigree". Planted 20th May 1998, so is now 12 years old. It has been very slow.
    It is planted under oak trees, so is in a lot of shade with just some dappled sun light.(It has the remains of snowdrops round it)
    Pic 2 is of the back of the leaf.

Attached Files:

15. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Silver, how big is it after twelve years in the ground? Looks about three feet wide in the photo, but hard to tell.

I have been growing one in a container for about seven years or so, and even slower than would have been in the ground. Hard to get the light balance right - too much sun and it burns, not enough light and it hardly grows. Pictures taken 28 April 2010:
    Filigree.jpg Filigree2.jpg

16. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

That was a pretty good guess.
    It is approx 4ft wide by 2ft tall.

17. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

The color of a filiree in the shade great.

Attached Files:

18. amazingmaples

Filigree is one of my favorite green weepers

Attached Files:

• 111.jpg
      111.jpg
      File size:
      282.4 KB
      Views:
  19. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

My new Filigree arrived yesterday. I bought a 4yr plant and, by sounds of things that's a good thing since it's a slow grower? Also read in previous posts about lighting... Does it tend to burn easily? Would bright shade for most of the day, with indirect morning sun and a little dappled, moving sun throughout the day be ok?

I'm loving the fullness of it, yet delicate and airy at the same time....

Attached Files:

20. amazingmaples

where i live, I have had them in full sun and only had slight leaf curl and slight burn by the end of summer. I recommend the tree for shade because the green/white coloration is more noticable. The tree in post #18 is is 90% shade. The tree in post #17 is in 100% shade.

21. amazingmaples

Here are fall colors of 2011

Attached Files:

22. maplesandpaws

Finally got my little Filigree planted before the insane heat wave hit; hasn't been there long, but I think it likes the spot, there is tons of new growth. I just love this cultivar!!! Wish more dissectums had leaves like this...

Attached Files:

23. maplesandpaws

Was at a local nursery yesterday and was shocked to come across some absolutely lovely maples from Iseli, all in 3g pots. I was even more shocked to find several Filigree in the mix (also had Omure yama and some GORGEOUS Ojishi with huge fat trunks for the size), so of course I had to pick one up since the dogs half destroyed my little guy over winter, making him even smaller.

Had a very nice rootball on it, a little potbound but not as bad as I had feared, and a superlow graft (the graft was actually buried under the soil, it might be 2" up from the root flare - score!), and trunk caliper of a good 3/4". But what is really impressive is the size - a little over 4' tall, and as you can see, nicely branched. I've removed the stake and will let it grow naturally for now and see what happens. Since I'm a little anal about my plant records, for those that are more familiar with the growth rate of this cultivar, based on the size, how old would you estimate it to be? 6-7 years? Older?

Attached Files:

24. mattlwfowler

mattlwfowler Active Member Maple Society

It is a little hard to tell with a plant coming from Iseli. They could potentially get a plant that size out in about 5 years, but it might take me about 10 years growing it here in South Carolina.

So, realistically 6 or 7 years sounds close to me.

25. maplesandpaws

My favorite green dissectum :)

Attached Files: