Identification: One for the cherry scouts - Pendula, white blossoms

Discussion in 'Ornamental Cherries' started by Vdunne1952, May 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vdunne1952

Vdunne1952 Active Member

This Cherry is just out of flower here now. I don't have an name for it. Any offers?

Attached Files:

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Re: One for the cherry scouts

Thanks for the great photos. We've been having a hard time identifying pendulous cherry trees with single white blossoms, but the narrow petals lead me to think it's some form of 'Pendula' (Prunus pendula 'Pendula'). Maybe 'Snofozam'?

It's hard for us to imagine this cultivar being in bloom at the beginning of May, when our 'Pendula' were in bloom this year at the beginning of March, but we had an early year and you've had a late one. We just saw a tree labelled 'Pendula Rubra' in full bloom on May 5 at Westonbirt Arboretum north of Bath in England.

3. Vdunne1952

Vdunne1952 Active Member

Thanks for the reply. I don't know that species at all as we have don't have a large number of Cherries here. Usually just 'Kanzan' and some of the whites. This was taken in Glasnevin Botanic Gardens but had no label. Their labeling leaves a lot to be desired.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Their catalog is online

http://www.botanicgardens.ie/nbg/cat.htm

but I'm not seeing any presentation of its contents other than a goofy spreading out of the plant names across the pages, with hyperlinks to the map locations of the specimens. Multiple Japanese flowering cherries are shown, however none of the names I recognize as being single-flowering white weepers. It is possible, of course, that they have your tree recorded under the wrong name.

5. wcutler

Great sleuthing, Ron. They do have Prunus subhirtella 'Pendula Rosea' C6 (32) - maybe it came in as a white one instead of pink?

Vdunne, is that the area where you saw the tree?

I see that they have Prunus padus 'Waterer... [edited by wcutler 2010may16: I should know better. I've moved the rest of the discussion regarding Prunus padus to a new thread: Prunus padus - tiny white blossoms in racemes].

Last edited: May 16, 2010
  6. Vdunne1952

Vdunne1952 Active Member

Good one, Ron B and wcutler.
    I also have seen the the 'map' and it is, indeed, shown on the map as P. subhirtella 'Autumnalis Rosea' but, to be frank, I believe very few of their labels, unless they are obvious, without checking somewhere else first.
    Plants discovered wrongly named before include Cotoneaster frigidus, Berberis prattii and Spiraea arguta.
    So I don't have much faith in the map either.
    I have seen a few of these in gardens. P. pendula 'Pendula' may seem a better bet but I am not well up in Prunus.
    wcutler, I will check that thread as I have photos of those as well.

7. wcutler

I just asked one of the gardens we visited to look up the id of a tree that turned out to be 'Autumnalis', which I only seem to be able to identify in Vancouver, but the tree you're asking about is definitely for sure not 'Autumnalis' or 'Autumnalis Rosea'.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.