Propagation: Orchids

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by SvenLittkowski, May 10, 2010.

1. SvenLittkowski

SvenLittkowski Active Member

Hi,

I wonder if it is, somehow, possible to grow an orchid from a part of it's root. I saw this root on my photo around an orchid of a certain type (see the photo again), and hope the piece of root can be used to grow an orchid from it.

Anyone knowing?

Attached Files:

2. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Re: Orchids: Propagation

No. It is not possible to reproduce phalaenopsis from root cuttings. Generally it takes micropropagation in laboratory environment for vegatative propagation.

3. SvenLittkowski

Re: Orchids: Propagation

Ahhh. What a pity. But thanks for your assistance, Maf.

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2010
  4. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

Yes, the only ways to propogate orchids are by division, by seeds, or by cloning (meristems). Generally, though, types like Phalaenopsis cannot be divided, since they have monopodial growth, but you can sometimes get off shoots. What you might want to try, is leave the spike on the plant after it has finished blooming, and you may get a keiki (baby plant) growing from one of the nodes on the spike. This often happens naturally to some species in nature, and also on a lot of hybrids. These, then, would be clones of the mother plant. If you want better success, try using a rooting hormone on the node to encourage this growth.

5. SvenLittkowski

Hmmm, principially I understand. I might even want to try. However, I don't owe any own orchid.

Much more interesting for me would be, to attempt growing an orchid from a seed. But then again, in the country I am living (Jamaica, but I am a German) nobody sells seeds, and I don't know anyone who would be willing to exchange their orchid seeds with any Caribbean seeds I could send.

For heaven's sake, even something simple as a vanilla bean I can't buy here anywhere in Jamaica, ha ha ha! Would love to grow them, as well, from their seeds.

I wonder if there is anyone here who would be able to exchange seeds?

Maybe I should even launch an own forum, just for the purpose of seed exchanges, since that section of this forum seems to be discontinued. Would that be a good idea?

6. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

If you have the facilities to grow orchid seed in flasks, then how about trying to find some native species and get seed from them? There are lots of native orchids in Jamaica, although I have no idea how plentiful they are. Is there an orchid society on the Island? Check there.

7. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Seed exchanges are extremely popular (complete with nifty tracking) on Folia.

8. SvenLittkowski

Hi Daniel,

I checked the Folia link which you provided. Thanks for this interesting link.

I went to the Folia website and had a look to their Swap section. What I am not sure about is, if that Swap code is something like a postal tracking number which allows to see where the parcel has reached on the way to the recipient, or if the Swap lines on that map are just showing the network of seed exchanges going on. Do you know this?

9. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I strongly suspect it is the latter (sender address to receiver address).

10. SvenLittkowski

Daniel, I would like to get your opinion on something:

I feel like setting up an own forum strictly for plant seed exchanges of all sorts. Now, there is this Folia website which is not only about seed exchanges but also about many other things, partially even competing with your own forum sections.

I would like to develop an own seed exchange forum, which would even strongly promote the UBC website and UBC forum website. It might not have that fancy Swap feature, but it will have many different forums for all types of possible seed exchanges and seed sales.

What would you prefer - that the members here get linked to the Folia website, or that they can use my proposed seed exchange forum which promotes your website(s)? Please let me know. In the second case, i would need then promotion on your website(s). Thanks.

11. Daniel Mosquin

I just want to point out that my view is that we don't compete -- I'm happy to link to other forums etc. if it helps people get the information they need.

I have no preference. It would not be a problem to promote a separate forum here with a link from the "Other Forums" listing, nor would it be a problem for you to promote it via your signature.

Given that this discussion is now veering off-topic, perhaps if there's anything further to add, we can either discuss via PM or in the poll thread you started.

12. SvenLittkowski

Yes, I agree, to continue via PM.

I started a poll, because I want to find out, what all the other members think about this opportunity, before I make any further steps. If I see that there is a certain degree of support, I will go ahead.

I herewith close this thread and will PM you then, when more things come up.

13. DirOCRC

DirOCRC Member

I am the Director of the Orchid Conservatory and Research Center in China, we have a orchid seed bank we would like to trade for Jamaican orchid seeds.

Just contact me........