Acer shirasawanum 'Jordan'

Discussion in 'Maple Photo Gallery' started by Gomero, May 5, 2007.

1. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Introduced by Fratelli Girardelli and named after Giordano (Jordan) Girardelli. It was selected by its bright yellow color that can take full Souther European sun, just like A. palmatum 'Summer Gold'.

This is its second year in my garden. It is in a pot. The first year I placed it in dappled shade with morning sun, next to a shirasawanum 'Aureum' to observe comparative behaviour. It did not like it, leaves were a very pale greenish yellow and did not grow very much. Quite different from the 'Aureum' that loves that situation.

For the second year I moved it next to the 'Summer Gold' in full sun. It loves it. As 'Summer Gold', the yellow color seems to intensify with the sun as the pictures show. The first two were taken April 22 and the third one May 3, 2007.

Gomero

Attached Files:

2. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

my Jordan ,easy avaible in Italy
    one the best yellow maple
    pics last week

Attached Files:

3. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Alex, those are great pictures, I especially like the second one where you can see the samaras upright. My Jordan is new, and hasn't leafed out yet. The other shirasawanums are further advanced.

I ask because you post a lot of pictures, and it is a service to the maple community: is there a way for you to get increased resolution, maybe a little bigger? That would be even better... :)

-E

4. richardbeasley@comcast.net

richardbeasley@comcast.net Active Member Maple Society

What nice trees, Alex how old is your tree? Please can you tell me when in the day does it get sun?

I have an A. shirasawanum 'Autumn Moon' which I received while dormant October 2007. For two days more the a week past time, the temperature in Virginia was above 30 degrees. I looked to see the Autumn Moon leaves to be very wilted. It had water enough , part full sun, yet this sun was only for a couple of hours. I drenched the tree in fungicides and moved the tree into my home at temperature of 20 degrees. I noticed that the tree was recovering in just a few hours. It has been from then maintained in my home. I am using artificial light 3300 K plus 6500 K at 10,000 lux, if I pop it up to 20,000 lux it wilts again. I believe I measured lux on a sunny day at about 7000 lux, so as I write this 20,000 maybe a bit to much lux. It is doing well now as it sits in the lap of luxury. Is Jordan as sensitive as this tree?

5. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

@Emery ,i have pics with high resolution,(not VGA)but is very slow the upload and the delivery...
    @ Rich is my second years with this maple is in open sun in morning and in moderate shade in afternoon,have a good tollerance to dry wind (no leaves burned)and have moderate water demand
    Ciao a tutti

6. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Alex, you need a faster internet connection! :) Seriously it would be great to see the pictures as they should be.

Richard, I have Autumn Moon in full sun, but that is Normandie sun not Virginia. The two are not the same. Autumn Moon is certainly much more tolerant than Aureum.

7. richardbeasley@comcast.net

richardbeasley@comcast.net Active Member Maple Society

Well I guess I have to take the plunge and put it back outside. Now you know part of the reason why this colony failed so often, plus why the natives didn't really want it all that badly.( that is locally here in Richmond Va, that is.)

8. b3bowen

b3bowen Member

Does anyone know if this particular cultivar is available in North America?

9. grdnrman

grdnrman Member

northeast of beautiful Finger Lakes region NYState
    I have the same question. Is Acer "Jordon" available by mail order by any nursery in the U.S.? I would like one for my home landscape. So far I have Bloodgood, Fireglow, Peaches and Cream, & Autumn Moon and they all do well here in hardiness zone 5 in the Finger Lakes region of N.Y. State. Thanks for any help. grdnrman@aemail4u.com

10. NJACER

NJACER Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I will be down in Baltimore next week at the MANTS show and check on availability. Many of the large Maple providers in the US will be at the show. I think that this may be a cultivar that Shadow Nursery, All Things Acer is bringing to market in the US. I will follow up next weekend.

Ed

11. b3bowen

b3bowen Member

Thank you. Keep me posted.

12. NJACER

NJACER Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

13. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Thanks for the heads-up. I just ordered one! :)

14. iwaymark

iwaymark Member

I have just received confirmation that an Acer shirawasanum Jordan is available for me and will be shipped to a nursery near Ottawa. Apparently, I will be the first person in Ontario to receive such a specimen, although that would have to be difficult to confirm. The person who is making this happen for me, is Tom Intven (see contact details below).

Tom Intven
    Canadale Nurseries Ltd.
    A Field of Quality
    Phone: 519-631-1008
    Fax: 519-631-0818
    tji@canadale.com

15. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Would be nice if they had an online catalogue.

16. iwaymark

iwaymark Member

I believe that they are Wholesale Suppliers to other nurseries, since Tom mentioned "delivering" to the nursery near Ottawa. You could also ask him for something specific - just like I did. If you are not sure what type of Acer you are looking for, the URL below may help identify a particular specimen.

http://www.amazingmaples.com/TreeList.aspx

Good luck.

17. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

Thank you for the publicity. I am still in the process of finishing up that page on my website. I was hoping to have it done by now but ran short of dollars (spent them all on trees). When I am done I will add a link to one more nursery reference library and i will also add my person photos of the trees.

18. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Iwaymark, thank you, I thought a catalogue might be interesting to local retailers as well, will inquire.

19. Gomero

Even though Alex already posted pictures of the samaras, 'Jordan' is so pretty with this red winglets on top of the yellow leaves that I cannot resist the urge to share (LOL). This striking combination is rather unique in maples ('Aureum' is much more subdued).

Gomero

Attached Files:

20. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Stunning! What kind of sun exposure does that one get? I got a 3ft. plant, but have not decided where to put it yet...

Thanks!

21. iwaymark

iwaymark Member

What beautiful photos! Thank you for sharing them. The "Jordan" is such a striking specimen.

I was able to purchase a "Jordan" via a wholesaler in Ontario and have it potted on my deck. It is a tall specimen (6.5 ft) in full leaf but I have not yet seen the red seed pods. Regular maples flower before the leaves appear and I would have thought this to be true for Japanese maples as well. In any case, I am currently the first person in Ontario to have one (according to the supplier) and am looking forward to pretty Fall colours and, hopefully, flowers and seed pods in the Spring of next year.

22. Gomero

Full sun in my place. In fact I have two and this one is in a big pot next to the swimming pool, probably the hottest place in my whole garden. In late July I push it to a corner where it is protected from the sun starting around 16:00. As I have explained above, it requires full sun for the true colors to come out.
    May I also say that its samara crop from last year has been almost 100% fertile and now I have lots of Jordanitos displaying an amazing range of yellow and orange hues

Gomero

23. timnichols

timnichols Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Here is my recent addition of 'Jordan' in July. It has put on nearly 2 1/2 - 3 foot of growth this year. When I acquired this maple, it had already passed through it's golden stage. I can't wait to see it next spring!

Attached Files:

24. Gomero

Something strange happened this year. My first 'Jordan' (the pictures of which are in the first post in this thread) has turned green, no yellow at all this year!!. My second 'Jordan', shown in post #19 of this thread, is still full colored, as shown in the pictures of the post. Has anybody seen this kind of 'reversion' for yellow cultivars?

Gomero

25. iwaymark

iwaymark Member

I received my Jordan after the Spring colour had changed to green. I have it in morning and late afternoon sun which may not be enough for it to maintain the pale Spring colours. I was hoping it would, but it also looks green right now. However, new shoots have the beautiful yellow colour. Could it be that the sun in Ottawa is not hot enough?