Acer palmatum 'Mikawa yatsubusa'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Themapleman, Apr 23, 2004.

1. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

OOh! Lovely!! Thanks so much for sharing. Mine got frozen solid before the leaves had a chance to turn...

:-(

2. cristina chan johnston

cristina chan johnston Member

Re: Acer palmatum Mikawa yatsubusa

Hi, I saw a Mikawa Yatsabusa recently that sold for $2500.00 It seems tp be single branched with twist and contortion it seems from the single branch and the leaf are kind of big. I have been looking for a smaller more reasonable price one but they all seem to be multi branch until I saw yours. Is it single branched or does the leaf sort of hide the branching? I understand that your picture was taken years ago. How does the plant look today? The nursery ordered one for me for $260.00 but says it is multibranched. I have not yet gone to see it . I hope you can answer my email ccj26@comcast.net

3. nelran

nelran Active Member

My tiny Mikawa Yatsubusa, starting Spring 2010. Very nice cultivar.

Attached Files:

BlackMaple likes this.
  4. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

Here is my acer palmatum 'Mikawa yatsubusa' leafing out.

Attached Files:

5. paxi

paxi Active Member

good gods! how old is that beauty?

6. amazingmaples

I bought that tree 4 years ago and it was already this size so I do not know the age. It is about 12' accross and 6' tall. Besides Talon Buchholz's Mikawa this is one of the largest I know of. Mine is a fraction the size of Talon's. I did get three from Iseli a few weeks back and they are big, two are 7' tall and one is more wide than tall which I have attached a photo .

Attached Files:

7. winterhaven

winterhaven Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

As an avowed color addict, I've been skeptical of the appeal of 'Mikawa yatsubusa'. But when hubby and I went to Charlie's the other day, my maple tolerating hubby jumped out of the truck and walked straight up to that large 'Mikawa yatsubusa' pictured in post 29 and said, "What's that?! I want one of those!"

So we looked at 'Mikawa yatsubusa' after 'Mikawa yatsubusa' until I was able to steer hubby in the direction of the extraordinarily large Koto no ito I posted earlier. While Charlie and hubby tied up my new baby, I went a poking around to see what else there was to see. And I came upon this glorious little tree with shocking lime green leaves. I bet you can guess what the tag said. Maybe I need one of these after all....

Edit: Um, one came home with me. The first picture is my new tree. The original photo did a better job of showing how the light shimmering through the tree made it look like Swarovski crystal. The second photo is a closeup of the leaves on Charlie's tree.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  8. amazingmaples

here is the my Ap Mikawa yatsubusa in its full spring color

Attached Files:

• Mika.jpg
      Mika.jpg
      File size:
      345.6 KB
      Views:
    BlackMaple likes this.
  9. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

That is an amazing tree Charlie, I can see why you chose your username ;-))

Seriously, it is a good example of what attracts many of us to Japanese maples and shows how beatiful the green forms are in the spring, holding their own against all the pink, red, orange and yellow types.

10. amazingmaples

Thanks maf

I was lucky to have found this tree a few years back, someone had done a great job growing it into this form. It is always funny how much I prune off this tree each year. The tree is most peoples favorite when they come visit my garden even when the pinks and oranges are in color.

11. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

I have always admired the shingle-leaf architectural structure of this cultivar. I can't think of any others that achieve this neatness in form. Mine is leafed out now (in a bonzai form) and I'll post another photo maybe tomorrow because I think Mikawa Yatsubusa is a sensational JM in any garden.

12. winterhaven

I may have been slow to appreciate the charms of this tree, but I'm a full convert now and sensational is right! Mine is planted right by the entrance to my house. I see it when I leave or when I come home. I see it when I drag my tired bones in from the garden. And even bone tired it stops me in my tracks.

13. mattlwfowler

mattlwfowler Active Member Maple Society

I would have a hard time imagining a dwarf that could surpass it. It may very well be my favorite plant period. I have my seasonal favorites, but every time I look at my two little guys I have trouble taking my eyes off of them.

14. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

If new introductions had to be as distinctive and ornamental as this plant the checklist would not be so dreadfully bloated.

Pic is from today.

Attached Files:

BlackMaple likes this.
  15. nelran

nelran Active Member

Very nice Poetry. Mine look a little bit different, (maybe because they're so young) but still they have full size leaves and samaras. Pictures were taken today with cloudy sky after a short light rain.

Nelran

Attached Files:

BlackMaple likes this.
  16. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

Few Japanese Maples have the architectural compactness, layering form, and grace seen in Mikawa Yatsubusa. It's charm is in its subtlety and form. While its color doesn't dazzle as much as others, it's form certainly does. If I had to pick a "Top Ten" JM, it would certainly be in that group. I have a fairly old Mikawa Yatsubusa in a bonzai container, and I'll post photos of it later. This is the one plant I worry about all year round because I'm so attached to it's beauty. I don't want to ever lose it.

17. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Quite showy the way the samaras are held so upright, nice photos. It has produced very little seed here so far.

18. Cirque

Cirque Active Member

I have two and love them. Last year I received a little one that I am attempting to bonsai. My favorite part of the spring growth....are the red ribbons!

Attached Files:

19. nelran

nelran Active Member

Thank you. I was asking myself the same interrogant. Maybe I have to change it to the shirasawanum thread, instead ;-).

20. brierphoto

brierphoto Active Member

Mine is exhibiting some interesting vein patterns that I didn't notice at all last year..

Attached Files:

21. amazingmaples

Here is one of my Mikawa yatsubusa beginning to change to its fall color

The colors of the Mikawa have been unreal. I have had a lot of red come out in many of them

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  22. winterhaven

My little MY has danced through a progression of color. My bigger tree is still a solid green.

Attached Files:

23. amazingmaples

My mikawa in the ground is the last one to change color, in all the mikawa yatsubusa were outstanding for fall color.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      335.3 KB
      Views:
  24. JazzUp

JazzUp Member

Spring leaves!

Attached Files:

BlackMaple likes this.
  25. amazingmaples