Papaver Somniferum Pictures.

Discussion in 'Photography and Art' started by Durgan, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

http://www.durgan.org/25%20Aug%202005%20PS%20Venus%20HTML/
    25 Aug 2005 Papaver Somniferum Laciniatum (Poppy Venus)

http://www.durgan.org/12%20July%202005%20PS%20Hen%20and%20Chickens%20HTML/
    12 July 2005 Papaver Somniferum (Hen and Chickens)

http://www.durgan.org/25%20Aug%202005%20PS%20Danish%20Flag%20HTML/
    25 Aug 2005 Papaver Somniferum Danish Flag HTML

http://www.durgan.org/25%20Aug%202005%20PS%20China%20White%20HTML/
    25 Aug 2005 Papaver Somniferum China White HTML

Papaver Somniferum is the poppy from which raw Opium is produced. Opium is the base for many illegal drugs much in demand in the Western World.

The flowers vary much in colour, but the vegetation is all cases appears to be the same. Here are five flowers. It appears they all have the shadow of the Danish Flag at the bottom of the flower petals. The vegetation is the main key in identification plus the shape of the pod in the case of Hen and Chickens. All other pods are similiar. Flanders fields poppy have completely different leaves.

The pods are lanced and the latex is collected over a period of days. It takes many poppies to make any reasonable amount, hence the large areas cultivated in the Eastern Asian countries.The dried latex is raw opium from which morphine, heroin, crack, and other drugs are made, legal and illegal.

Growing this poppy is illegal in the USA and Canada. The seeds are sold openly on many sites on the internet. Seeds are not illegal. This is a Catch 22 scenario.

Some other poppies contain some opium, but in too small amounts to be collected.

The most beautiful flower is the Danish Flag and the Peony shaped unknown name one. I have since found the name for the one marked unknown,after this original post. It is named P.S. Laciniatum (Poppy Venus).All the poppies grow with almost no effort in all types of reasonable conditions.

Often the papaver seed is mixed in with other poppy seeds when purchased. You suddenly see this strang flower and vegetation, which is different from the others
    Durgan

Last edited: May 30, 2006
  2. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

Are you sure that they are still illegal in Canada? I bought my seeds at a local nursery labeled Opium Poppies and have seen them in lots of places for sale. I have also seen the plants in many gardens.
    Carol Ja

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Looks more like a Swiss flag than a Danish - the white doesn't go out to the edge of the petals.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Switzerland_flag_large.png

The ones with single (4 petal) dark red flowers with a black spot at the base are by far the nicest. Sorry, but all those in the pics look hideous!

BTW perfectly legal to grow them in Britain. Our summers are too cold for opium production, so it isn't a worry.

4. Durgan

No, I am not sure about the legality. I fell in line with the view of various sources, who mentioned they were illegal. Maybe some-one knows, and can quote the facts with source. I placed the Danish Flag, because of the name of the flower. Maybe the person, who named it, was a bit under the influence of the latex.
    Durgan.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2005
  5. rxbristol

rxbristol Member

I did some research into federal drug laws and sure enough it is illegal to grow (or have the opium plant) in the U.S. but legal to possess the seeds.

Rex

6. Carol Ja

What about Canada?
    Carol Ja

7. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Last edited: Apr 24, 2006
  8. Carol Ja

anybody want some free plants?
    just kidding.
    I got the seeds from a big Canadian company www.richters.com they have a couple of types. Funny that they don't think to mention the legality of it. I guess next year that I'll plant them in the back yard instead of the front!
    I also noticed that they mention that they are the type that you use for cooking!
    Carol Ja

9. fourd

fourd Active Member 10 Years

Yes, papaver seed is indeed the seed sold in stores on spice racks as poppy seed ... and commonly used on breads. Can you buy a poppy seed begal in Canada? The cooking use is perhaps the reason the seed itsself is not illegal in the USA, but does beg the question, what came first the seed or the poppy?

10. Durgan

Quote "Yes, papaver seed is indeed the seed sold in stores on spice racks as poppy seed" unquote

I will take your word for it. These means the stores selling these procucts are illegal drug dealers. Possession of the seeds is apparently illegal if I understood
    Schedule 1 of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act correctly.

Are the store bought poppy seeds viable, meaning will they germinate? Does anyone know do I have to make the experiment myself?
    Durgan

11. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I reread the Act, and notice now that I was originally incorrect - poppy seed itself is not illegal, but the plant is. How confusing.

12. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

And plants are still easily found in garden centers, despite being illegal since 1969.

13. Durgan

Schedule 1 refers to Poppy Seeds. Item number 37.
    37) Poppy seed

I interpret this as being illegal to have possession of the poppy seeds.
    Durgan.

14. Ron B

Poppy seed buns are sold in stores.

15. dghicks

dghicks Member

Everywhere I've lived, I and pretty much any one I've known with a garden have grown them, often in the hundreds: beautiful, and it seems after three or so generations of growing and saving seed, one inevitably ends up with a stunning deep purple strain that comes true from seed. I've heard, anecdotally, of friends who have had the RCMP visit their field and inspect pods for evidence of scoring: no scoring (an obvious pre-requisite to resin harvest), no intent. Apparently, there's a thriving internet trade in the pods through e-bay, and though listed as available for the florist trade (a common use), most end up in the tea-pots of opium tea drinkers: a couple of interesting on-line testimonials are out there about folks who've become rather addicted. When I lived on Saltspring Island some years back, I recall a rather wise, or perhaps a rather oblivious, landscaper planted the meadow in front of the RCMP detachment with thousands of the things: a beautiful sight, in so many respects.

16. Ron B

A field of them would seem more like a commercial or at least agricultural endeavor, unlike the usual clumps and dribbles of suburban gardens.

17. dghicks

dghicks Member

Not a field of poppies exclusively: this was a dried floral/garlic/cut flower farm field, a substantial amount of poppies (hundreds) but equal amounts of various other things in rows...but certainly enough to arouse interest. Point being, even then, there was no problem: home gardeners in Canada (Probably very different in USA) are growing this in profusion with zero problems.

18. Carol Ja

Its funny that you mention the RCMP on Salt Spring having them, they still have them on the front lawn mixed in with the seed mix someone planted for them. Maybe it is time to change the law as it doesn't seem to be doing anything anyway.
    Carol Ja

19. Daniel Mosquin

Yes, so did I originally, but then I noticed the "But not including" between items 31 and 32, which I now understand to mean that 32 through 37 are not included.

20. GRSJr

GRSJr Active Member 10 Years

I've tried poppies of several kinds and I just can't get them to survive, let alone grow and bloom. I've tried partial shade, shade, full North Carolina sun (makes you dizzy in short order), dry , wet, damp conditions, soil from sandy to clay. All to no avail. I'm not talking about growing from seeds. although I tried that too, but rather growing established plants from reputable nurseries.

It's to the point where I'm practically obsessed with the need to grow a poppy.

Your helpful suggestions are welcome.

21. Durgan

Thanks Daniel:
    You are right - possession of the poppy seeds is not illegal in Canada.

My interpretation is it is not illegal to grow the plants. Th only thing illegal is when the produce is made into one of the forbidden drugs. It is unfortunate lawyers are involved in formulating laws. A layman could and probably would produce simple English that could be understood by most. Of course, there would be no money in that. Just a passing thought.
    Durgan.

22. Durgan

I can't imagine what you are doing wrong. I simply throw the poppy seed on the ground, and the plants thrive. In fact they often self seed. Thinning them is the major problem. I have read somewhere where the seeds can be thrown on snow and they will sprout when the warm weather arrives. One plant will produce up to 50 or more flowering buds if given enough space and no crowding. I buy as many types as possible and grow them in various places throughout the garden. They are probably my favourite flowering plant. Every flower looks so delicate and beautiful.
    Durgan.

23. GRSJr

Lucky you!!!!! Even with care the plants won't thrive here and seed growing is a waste of time and resources. Better to use them on bread or rolls.

24. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

GRSJr,

Poppies do not like shade, clay, or acid soil, which you probably have in abundance in Raleigh.

25. GRSJr

Right you are, except on the shade. We have lots of full sun spots.

My last try was in sandy soil prepared behind a rock wall for drainage, in full sun. The soil is at least 18" deep, but I didn't think to measure the pH. It's probably too acid too.

What pH should I strive for? Is the sandy, well-drained soil suitable? Will they stand very dry conditions?