Rope Hoya Help again

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by AbbeyLee, Jan 30, 2010.

1. AbbeyLee

AbbeyLee Member

I got a new Rope Hoya plant and it was doing pretty well however now it is starting to shrivvel up ( I know I spelled that wrong). I watered it today and I know that they don't like to have the roots wet so I let all the water drain out of the pot. I haven't had much luck with these plants but I love them. HELP! How do I keep my plants alive in the mid-west? I even put them in the shower with me for weeks for the humidity and the sun from the window.
    Any suggestions?

2. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

AbbeyLee,

The leaves could be soft either from lack of water, or over-watering causing root rot, and not being able to take up water. You may have to take cuttings if you find that the roots and stems are soft and mushy.

I keep the root-ball of my hoya compacta/rope hoya on the root-bound, or snug side in their pots with good/fast draining soil in pot just about large enough for the roots, giving them an inch of room using reg soil and perlite added, or, an orchid mix and perlite.You only want to water when the soil is completely dry.

If you need to take cuttings because the roots ARE rotting (better done in spring) but to save it, you may need to try now.

Cut 5" - 7" tips, as long as the stems are firm. You'll want to take off some of the lower leaves to make at least a 2" bare stem (s) for planting, watering once and not again until dry.
    You DON'T want to keep the soil moist while rooting them! Give cuttings some direct sun. The closer to the window the better, the leaves will be clumped closer together and not have big gaps between them. It may take a few weeks if not longer to see the leaves firm up, it can be slow with this hoya.

Your hoya does not need any extra humidity. Treat it more like a succulent then a fern:)

3. daisydee8

daisydee8 Member

I need to move my hoya rope to a smaller pot. It is dying and it is in a pot that is way too big. How do you transfer to a smaller pot? Mine seems to be shriveling up too. I need it to stay alive because it was my Gramma's! H

4. Bluewing

Tip the pot over so you can slide the plant out of it's pot, you may need to rap the side of the pot lightly to loosen it. Gentle pull away most of the soil away from the roots without disturbing the to much, leaving some soil close around them. Use a pot that's got about an inch of root room for the roots.
    Use a well draining soil to fill in around the sides if the currant soil is heavy. Water it in and put it where it will get good light close to a window, otherwise the leaves will grow far apart on the stems instead of growing together tight.
    If the roots are rotting, you'll need to take cuttings. (read above post for cuttings) I had a cutting that was severely wrinkled and it took months to recover and now it's doing great! just don't over-water. Only water well when the soil is dry, the pot will also feel lighter when dry.

5. daisydee8

daisydee8 Member

If you were to see a picture would you be able to have an idea of what is wrong with my plant.

6. Bluewing

A photo is always good.... From what you described though, whatever the problem is, the problem is most likely with the roots/soil from either under, or over-watered I suspect.

7. daisydee8

daisydee8 Member

How can I get a picture to you?

8. Bluewing

9. daisydee8

daisydee8 Member

My sad plant

Attached Files:

10. daisydee8

daisydee8 Member

I should mention that since this photo was taken last weekend the plant in the pot is way less green!

11. Bluewing

WOW! That is one BIG pot! All you can do is try to save the ones in the pot. Take them all out of the soil and check the roots for rot, you may have to cut all the roots off up into the healthy part of the stem (s) which either dried, or rotted, keep cutting the stems back in 1" sections until you see them "bleed" white sap.That's were the healthy stem begins, anything below that is damaged and will not take up water. You'll also want to take off any brown, or yellowing leaves.
    The one in the water, take off a few more of the bottom leaves to reveal more stem, a couple of inches at least you'll want. Cut the long stem in half or make four stem cuttings if you like, making sure each has a couple inches of bare stem for planting.

You might want to try a 4" pot for all the cuttings you have. If they all can't all fit, go up to the next size, or use two pots, either 3" or 4" size pot, In my opinion, the smaller the better!

Orchid potting soil is well draining soil you can use, or add "Perlite" to the soil you already have to lighten it up for better drainage.Water ONLY when soil is dry, every 7- 10 days is when I water mine

Here's a couple of cuttings, 4"-5" I had taken from the mother last year.
    Notice the small pot? It's only 2.5" inches for (two cuttings)

Attached Files:

12. daisydee8

daisydee8 Member

This plant used to have 4 long ropes. LOONNNG before knowing these plants do welol root bound we transplanted it to this pot. Slowly since then it gone down hill. :) Thank you soooo much!!

13. daisydee8

daisydee8 Member

I am so new with plants. How do I know if it has root rot?

14. Bluewing

Roots, as well as up into the stems some will feel soft and mushy.

15. Bluewing

Using a bigger pot before it need one does not mean a plant will grow faster! Your right, your hoya will do better if the roots are a little on the snug, or root-bound side.

Your hoya is swimming/suffocating in "unused" volumes of wet soil.

16. daisydee8

daisydee8 Member

Should I keep them warm and by the window? Should I keep my place humid?

17. Bluewing

Yes, keep at reg room temperatures close to a bright window that gets some direct sun if possible.
    No need for any extra humidity.

18. daisydee8

daisydee8 Member

Ugh .. I misunderstood what you meant by cut the long stem in half. This is what I ended up with. No root rot. Totally dried up this plant was ... :(

19. daisydee8

daisydee8 Member

The result

Attached Files:

20. Bluewing

Is that all you were able to save? Is the photo above the one that was in the glass of water? You might be able save a couple more 3"-4" "tips" of the that were in the soil, and it looks like you would have plenty of room for a couple more in your pot.

If the roots are all dried up, did you cut them off before potting them up? It would be the same operation if they were rotting. Cut off the roots and keep cutting up the stem an inch at a time starting at the root area until you see healthy stem and white sap.
    Remember, don't keep the soil wet, let it dry out between waterings.

21. daisydee8

daisydee8 Member

The photo is of the one in the water and potted one. That is all I was able to save from the potted one. The plant was sooo dry. I cut until the white sap showed and even that was minimal. Unless I misundrstood something. That was all I could keep. I am sad, but hopeful that these will do ok.

22. Bluewing

All you can do is cross your fingers at this point and hope for the best, there isn't much more you can do now but wait and see.

Hope everything works out:)
    Good luck!

23. daisydee8

daisydee8 Member

Thanks again!