Different Kiwi types, pollination question!!!

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by E.T., Apr 28, 2006.

1. E.T.

E.T. Member

Hi,
    Yes, another newbe......
    I have a Kiwi vine - male - blooming.
    Does it matter what kind/type/sort of female I get? Is cross pollination possible?
    Which gender carries the fruit?

Lots of thanks, for any help you can give me!

Sincerely,

E.T.

2. Tylerj

Tylerj Member

I assume this is the 'Hardy' kiwi variety you are asking about? The female produces the fruit. It depends which type of male kiwi you have to determine what female you should get. Some varieties bloom early and some later so you need the bloom to correspond with the male.

Do you know what male variety you have?

3. E.T.

E.T. Member

Yes, it is a harddy...very hardy!

No, unfortunately I have no clue which variety!

Is there a way to identify the varieties, besides your mentioned time of blooming? or are there only a few hardy and I should just try them all???

Leaves and stem very hairy/fuzzy. Hair on fresh growth is red. Leaves get up to approx 5" diameter. It is producing flower buds at this time (at 60-70) I think to remember that it is a male male. It was bought at a Home Depot in Southern KY. (oh, I could possibly research them, to se what they carry...?)

I knew nothing about Kiwis when I got the plant. I just thought it would be neat to have. Now I know almost nothing, so I am gaining on it..... LOL

I thank you for the input. If you have more, I will be very glad to hear it.

Again, Thanks!

E.T.

4. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

The hardy kiwi has a fruit like a large grape compared to the fuzzy kiwi you buy inthe grocery store. the leaves are also much different. there is a self fertile hardy kiwi, 'Issai' is the variety if I remember correctly.

5. Tylerj

Tylerj Member

I'm just getting into growing kiwi's myself right now so my knowledge is very limited lol!! In the last couple weeks I've bought the 'Issai', 'Anna' and 'Arctic Beauty' plants.

The one distinctive male hardy kiwi that would be easily recognizable is the 'Arctic Beauty' (actinidia kolomikita). Its leaves turn pink & white at the tips. It's the hardiest of the Hardy Kiwi. If it is this variety then you can get the female 'Arctic Beauty' match for it.

If its in bloom now I'd say its an early bloom variety and there are different varieties that bloom early. There is 'Geneva', 'Dumbarton Oaks', 'National Arboretum', 'Fairchilde', '74-75', and '75-8' that all ripen earlier than other varieties of Arguta. 'Issai' and 'Anna' ripen later.

Unless you know its the arctic beauty by the leaf colour I mentioned (in which case you'd get an arctic beauty female), you could get a late fruiting 'Anna' and an earlier fruiting variety such as 'Geneva' or 'Dumbarton Oaks' and your male will make at least one of them fruit. It could pollinate both if the blooms overlap too.

6. E.T.

E.T. Member

OK, I can see that it is not the 'Arctic Beauty' (actinidia kolomikita)! That narrows it down.

Are typically all hardy Kiwi "small fruit"? or is there a difference here too?

My mis-explaination: It is not blooming yet. The buds are setting. Right now in size up to 1/4" diameter - and no sign of opening yet........

Since I like Kiwi, and it seems like i can polinate what-ever female (as long as they are blooming at the same time) I think it is time for me to find out what time of year this thing is blooming. (I will say within a month from now) and go get some females that are tasty, "give well", and are good to eat and maybe can for the winter - in some years....!!!

Thanks again for all your information!

Sincerely,

E.T.

7. Tylerj

Tylerj Member

Yes all hardy kiwi are smaller than the fuzzy variety you find in a grocery store. They are not fuzzy and you eat them just like grapes, skin and all. I think they range from being just a bit larger than a grape to 1-1/2 inches long. Mind you I've never seen one yet as I'm only 3 weeks into my hardy kiwi experience! lol. If you google hardy kiwi you will find many nurseries that sell them with pictures and descriptions. Good luck!

8. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

for us in the fraser valley of BC, hardy kiwi usually refers to the smaller grape types. but, kolomikta and other 'new zealand' type kiwis can be grown here fairly easily. My inlaws have a great couple of vines high on the hills in Squamish!

9. Tylerj

Tylerj Member

Unfortunately, the fuzzy variety wouldn't care too much for our winters here in Ontario LOL!! I have about 100 seeds sprouting right now though from a store bought fuzzy kiwi so I'm going to try to grow one in a pot to move it indoors in the winter.

10. E.T.

E.T. Member

So.....I bit the bullet and bought 2 Females last night on-line.....!!! I am getting 1ea. Ananasnaya (said to be Russian and one of the best, but I know I can read anything I want....) and 1ea. Dumbarton Oaks will arrive in a few weeks. I ordered them from "Raintree nursery.com" They have several varieties, and they have written which type male piolinates the different type Females, so I will just try, and see what happens........!

This has been very interesting and a great help for me. I thank you all a bunch! Maybe in a 5 years I will get a Kiwi....! (I still wonder why we do what we do! "We ain't bright, maybe!")

Later guys, I will post a little thing, when I get the plants!

Sincerely,
    E.T.

11. tallclover

tallclover Member

I'm growing Fuzzy Kiwi here in the Puget Sound area, a more robust vine I dare you to find. This year I need to build a trellis for the two vines (male and female), a very strong trellis.

Photos of my Fuzzy Kiwis, vine and fruit.

12. northerngrapes

northerngrapes Active Member

Arctic beauty vines will survive a zone 3 climate. The big problem with them is they will break dormancy early so if you get a frost it will damage the crop. The male plants are not as vigorous as the female and will sometimes not produce flowers to pollinate the fruit. I grow my vines in a sheltered semi shade location and mulch the base of the plants this helps to prevent them from breaking dormancy early. I also have Issai
    here it needs winter protection and will produce better if you have a pollinator.

Cheers

KM