Date palm self-cleaning - or decaying?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Anemtome, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Anemtome

Anemtome Member

Hi all!

Is there a sage who could tell me whether it's normal that an olde date palm tree drops off its leaf bases? I mean those short stumps that are left on the trunk after trimming it.
    The palm tree is at least 50 years old, majestic in appearance: not so tall but the thickest trunk I've ever seen, with an extensive crown of green fronds.

Until now, the trunk has shown no sign of decaying: the old leaf stumps used to form a regular diamond pattern from the base up until the canopy. But now they are getting soft from the very base, and I can easily pull them out. The trunk feels wet - but it's rainy season anyway. There is a little fungus on top of some stumps, but no bad odor. I haven't seen any bugs either, no weevils! The fibrous tissue is clean and odorless too. The canopy seems to be in excellent condition, with several new fruit stalks.
    The general rule is to prune off only dead/brown leaves - but this palm keeps them all green, and is still putting out more. For safety reasons, every year I have to cut off some of the lowest fronds, although they are quite healthy and green. I never used any paints or chemicals on the tree. No watering or fertilizing either. A local gardener came to see the tree, and said it's okay. But I wish to get a second opinion.

So did my palm tree just decide to get rid of the old skin, or is it soon time to say good-bye?

2. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Maybe just a natural occurance,

I would love to see such a majestic tree. I am hoping to germinate a seed from Tenerife soon from the date palm tree.

3. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Quite normal. Here in Ecuador, we hasten the process of petiole-stump removal by drenching the stumps.

4. Anemtome

Anemtome Member

Thank you so much for the replies, Katalina25 & lorax!
    I'm relieved. :-)
    Do you suggest any further measures as to complete the clean-up?
    What is your opinion on flaming the trunk surface with a blow torch? In some places it seems to be a common procedure, not here though.
    I did like the diamond pattern, now it looks, ehh, different.

What I still find strange is:
    a) why has the palm tree kept the stumps all its life, and now started a major turnout?
    b) myself I have never seen this happening, and according to the "dunnoes" from local people, it's not common here - unlike the date palm itself.

Thanks again. And Katalina, I loved your photostream!

5. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Its not easy finding the kind of imformation you need Anemtome,

You can see it here

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ep344

Also Google

http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF...gfns=1&q=shedding+old+leaves+on+the+date+palm

I am interested in the Date Palm after being in Tenerife...they are awesome trees

Thanks for visiting my Photostream I need to add more images. I never have the time somehow due to my web sites needing daily updates.

I think after growing my palm I just could'nt dare to set fire to it even with a blow torch. Just allow nature to take its course.

Watch out for any desease is all.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  6. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Lorax, what with?

7. Anemtome

Anemtome Member

Thanks again, Katalina!

You bet I spent a 'few' hours on the net searching for palm info - but didn't come across pages like "Normal 'Abnormalities' in Palms" ;-D

I knew some species are self-cleaning, but date palm was not one of them (?)
    I saved those links, for future reference...

Hey, the date palm in your pic is much like mine!
    When the night falls, the canopy gets very noisy: it's packed with birds dining on the dates and whatever-they-can-find there!
    Note: the dog in the pic is doberman-size.

Attached Files:

8. Anemtome

Anemtome Member

Water?

9. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Water. After about 2 months of dedicated drenching, the scales get slightly mooshy and soft to touch, and then they're simply pulled off by looping a piece of cord around them and giving a sharp tug.

10. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Just water eh..sounds good.

Wow those images Anemtome. If the dog one was mine as it is in the image I would have it enlarged and framed..its awesome.

You just got the lighting right at the entrace, and I love how the dog is 'framed' under the ' frongs' are they called?

Oh I adore Canary Date Palms..magnificent!

Thanks also to Lorax about the drenching.

Could I please have the image with the dog to frame at home please Anemtome?