Identification: Kalanchoe luciae or K. thyrsiflora

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by elaine, Aug 6, 2009.

1. elaine

elaine Member

How do I tell the difference between Kalanchoe luciae & K. thyrsiflora, and what if any are the differences in care? What is the best depth and size for the pots they will be planted in (definately indoor plants where I live) so that they are happy & healthy? I am assuming like most succulents they should dry out between waterings?

elaine

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

rosemarie is better qualified to provide info about id for both these varieties - hopefully she'll stop in soon. one has a bit larger leaves than the other and i can't remember which is which.

as for watering, yes, they're succulents and should be allowed to dry out before watering again. also, a VERY well draining mix should be used. cactus mix (bark, peat, perlite) with additional perlite or aquarium soil or small stones should be added to provide additional drainage. also, unglazed clay pots with drainage holes are best since they allow for quicker dry-out of the growing medium.

both of these kalanchoe's are susceptible to overwatering and rot...

3. Rosemarie

Rosemarie Active Member

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Joclyn! :)

Elaine, It might be easier for me to direct you to a previous post here, with pix I posted of Kalanchoe luciae ssp. luciae & links to a pic of K. thyrsiflora:
    http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=14249&highlight=kalanchoe+luciae
    I believe both of these can grow rather large leaves, under the right conditions.

The short answer to your question as to how to tell the difference: flowers! :D
    IF the plant is not in flower when you get it, you probably won't know for sure until it flowers. Sad to say, they probably won't flower for you indoors. As their care would be the same...knowing the name might not matter...or maybe it does to you. Besides the good advice Joclyn gave you...Pot size--large enough so the plant won't tip over (without being too big). :) Pot up as it grows. Give it as much sun as possible!

4. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

/waves you're MUCH better at id's than i am!!

5. elaine

elaine Member

ok so probably wont ever know which one it is unless by some miracle it flowers. I know it may increase the number of times I have to re-pot but would a shallow dish be better than a deep pot to help keep it from rotting, or will the plant height make it too top heavy? Thanks for the assistance so far

elaine

6. Rosemarie

Rosemarie Active Member

I would not use a shallow pot. I grew mine in the ground & it wasn't in fast draining soil. Never had a prob with rot that way, but then, I didn't soak it too much either. It was on the SOS program with all the rest! (Sink Or Swim) :P But, then again, I don't live in your climate, either. I would just let it dry out completely between watering.

Waves back at Joclyn & thanks for that too!

7. kanchan

kanchan Member

can anyone identify whether the attached images are of k.thyrsiflora or k.luciae ? Snapshot_20090710_1.jpg

Snapshot_20090331_8.jpg

8. Rosemarie

Rosemarie Active Member

I cannot tell from the pic if any of the blooms are open. Are there any open? If so, it seems they are white. Can you see white or yellow blooms? If white, then it is Kalanchoe luciae ssp. luciae. If lemon yellow, then K. thyrsiflora.

Did you take a look at the other thread linked above?

9. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Kalanchoe luciae - Millet (1,094-)

10. kanchan

kanchan Member

yes..after reading about k.luciae and k.thyrsiflora in the thread, i posted the pictures.
    the flowers are white after blooming.
    thanks rosemarie and millet for your kind reply.

11. SusanDunlap

SusanDunlap Active Member

They are one and the same (synonyms). See
    http://www.smgrowers.com/products/plants/plantdisplay.asp?plant_id=1702

12. SusanDunlap

13. Rosemarie

Rosemarie Active Member

I think you are mistaken, Susan. If you read the info at San Marco Growers again you might see what I mean.

Excerpt from the site:
    "This plant has been sold for many years in California under the name Kalanchoe thrysiflora but is really Kalanchoe luciae. The true Kalanchoe thrysiflora has similar color foliage on shorter broad leaves and doesn't turn nearly as red in winter. The flowers on Kalanchoe thrysiflora are a darker yellow and are sweetly fragrant."

Yes, they wrote that the synonym for Kalanchoe luciae is K. thyriflora-mistakenly marketed as such (causing much confusion)-but they are not the same plant. If you read their description above again, I think you will see the "true" description for Kalanchoe thyrsiflora. There are several differing characteristics between these plants. :)

14. SusanDunlap

Thanks for pointing this out. Perhaps we can ask them. We now have a description of the distinction between the two plants. San Marcos themselves list the two names as synonyms.

Maybe someone can point to a site that shows K. thrysiflora is a legitimate name?

15. SusanDunlap

Looked again: there are plants in the trade are mislabeled/misidentified as K. thyrsifolia that are K. luciae. So the synonymy suggested by San Marcos applies at least locally (California) - that K. thyrsifolia is a legitimate species but not widely cultivated. This situation may or may not be an issue outside the U.S.