Identification: Plant That Doesn't Like Light?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by plantchick, Feb 23, 2005.

1. plantchick

plantchick Member

I 'm SO glad i found this Forum!
    I have just got alot of plants and wasnt told what they are. some i know but others i'm stumped.
    I'll start with this one as i dont have much time this morning.

He's my fav and is growing well.
    But he gets REALLY droopy in the daytime. when i put him in the bathroom he seems alot better. I find he just doesnt like light? unfortunitly i have ALOT of sunlight in my place and no dark corners. which is great actually...

First i need to know what it is!
    Second. his soil seems pretty condensed and a "pit" is kind of sticking out of the soil. there is about 3 inches of room left in the pot. should i ad more soil or just leave him be?

Thanks so much!

Attached Files:

2. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

I think you have an avocado plant. If he's drooping in the light, check the moisture level in the soil, but try to get some more advice before watering or not, or re-potting.
    Ralph

3. shahwin

shahwin Member

There are two problems,
    1. Put the plant away from the window to avoid too much light or use venetian blinds on the window to get less light.

2. Pot requires more soil, keep it slightly moist

3. Room temp should not be less than 74F

Keep me informed

Regards
    B. Shah
    shahwin at gmail.com

4. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Your avocado plant needs as much light as you can give it. Hello to you Shahwin in Pakistan....Living here north of the 49th parallel, daylight hours are so short, most tropicals become leggy in low light .... also the baseboard heater is drying out the foliage... I've noticed mine drooping weekly when the soil medium becomes dry....

5. shahwin

shahwin Member

Since you have low light hours, you have to use normal 60 watt bulb away from the plant.

Secondly you have to raise temperature of the soil. No heater required
    JUst mix little clove powder in the soil, temperature will increase automatically

Keep me informed of the developments

B. Shah

6. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

If this is truly an Avocado you only find them growing as huge trees in direct sunlight in south Florida in porous sandy soil. The "bathroom" effect is due to humidity,not light. They love high humidity!

7. shahwin

shahwin Member

It appears the problem is from the temperature of the soil, check soil temperature ?

Do let me know with the pH content of the soil

Thanks
    B. Shah

8. 1950Greg

1950Greg Active Member

Langley, B.C. Stones throw from old HBC farm.
    A large flat container under the pot with water in it might provide some humidity and not a necessity that the plant can draw water from it.