Winter Colors

Discussion in 'Hibiscus' started by jazzy1, Dec 5, 2009.

1. jazzy1

jazzy1 Member

I have a yellow hibiscus that blooms bright true yellow in the summer. Since we have had cooler weather it is now a gold color.

jazzy1

2. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Hello Jazzy?

Image please!

3. jazzy1

jazzy1 Member

Hi Katalina, I don't have a digital camera. My husband took a picture of it, when we get the film developed I will attach a summer picture and a winter one.

Thanks for replying
    jazzy1

4. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

We can wait, its fine Jazzy

5. jazzy1

jazzy1 Member

The full plant is in the summer and the single is winter.

Attached Files:

6. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

7. jazzy1

jazzy1 Member

I'm glad you apprecited it! I'm partial to yellow hibs. There is one I want but I really have all I can handle right now. It's called Heart of My Heart and its all red! Let your little guy dry out some and don't set it on a heat source. If it were mine, I would put a space heater in the bathroom and set it in there at night and when you bring it out in the daytime don't set it close to a cold window and don't set it in front of a window that the sun is coming through without protection, put up a piece of white paper on the window since the suns heat will be magnified by the window panes. It will really appreciate the heat and light.

jazzy1

8. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Oh so my radiator is not ideal Jazzy?

I will sure follow the advice Jazzy I really want to see how this plant turns out. It was a rather large Hibiscus in its habitat so we will see.

Just remembered my sis I gave her a pink Hibiscus.

My goodness Jazzy, look at this red:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Hibiscus_yercaud.jpg

9. jazzy1

jazzy1 Member

If it was mine, I wouldn't set it on top of a radiator. That red reminds me of my Schizopetalis. Let me ask this, how hot does your radiator get? 70 degrees would be nice, if it's hotter than that, I wouldn't do it, plus (I think, since I don't have a radiator) that is a constant heat coming out right?

jazzy1

10. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Well, the dial says 30 max, that will be the very hottest to keep this softie warm lol

Yes Jazzy, hot air comes from the top as well as on the panels.

I am going to do what you suggested earlier about the bathroom. Maybe also move the Swan's Neck (Tenerife plant also) (brown on leaves before they open properly) would also benefit from a move away from that radiator.

Put it this way. If I allow my leg to touch the radiator to look in the back garden I would get a severe burn.

11. jazzy1

jazzy1 Member

OH MY GOSH, Please move those babies!!!!!!!! TOO HOT! Also when you water think of it like this. If the pot is real light it probably needs watering, if you pick it up and the pot is heavy, it doesn't need water. I can pick up a any of my hibs that are small enough and I call tell by the weight what condition their in moister wise.

jazzy1

12. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Yes Jazzy, I know about weight test but I think my plants were drying out too quick due to the heat.

Everytime I looked my Hiby was looking dry. Today whilst I was out I put it out in the drizzle rain. I can't do that to the Swan's Neck because that loves dry.

13. jazzy1

jazzy1 Member

Set your hib on a saucer with pebbles and enough water that it doesn't reach the holes in the pot. It might like a little misting with a seaweed solution too.

jazzy1

14. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Hm..will do Jazzy.

Its away from the room altogether to somewhere quite cool now..thanks!

15. jazzy1

jazzy1 Member

Just another thought. How big is the pot you have it in, it looks to be a 6in., you might want to downsize to a 4in, that way it holds a lot less planting medium and may be safer. A larger pot holds too much soil and therefore the excessive moisture content might cause your roots to rot before it can get rid of it.

jazzy1