Goja Berries. (Chinese Wolfberry, Lycium barbarum)

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Durgan, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

Goji berry, Chinese Wolfberry, Lycium barbarum

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?OBPCS 14 October 2009 Goja Berries. Various views of the berries and plants.
    Inspecting the garden after the first severe frost, six goja berries were discovered on one Chinese Wolfberry plant. This is after 18 months from seed growth. There are three plants in the garden. Two are thriving and the other is healthy but stunted, since a rabbit ate the top in the Spring of 2009.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?EHWKI 26 February 2008 Chinese Wolfberry (Lycium barbarum)
    The Chinese Wolfberry pods were planted on 10 February 2008. Due to ignorance the whole pod was planted, but it is only necessary to plant one seed per plant. They were thinned and the stronger plant will be kept as they get larger. Germination was about 14 days and it appears maybe planting the pod is a good idea, since the germination was probably 100%. The plant is a perennial. Fruit production is in the third and fourth year, according to the literature.

2. wolf

wolf Active Member

You may try some blood meal to discourage the rabbits.

3. Durgan

If I use blood meal Neena, the dog, digs it up. Her job is to chase rabbits, which she does, but never catches one and loses the spoor often, since the rabbits are so fast. Even me watching, I lose sight of the rabbits running and hiding. I don't have rabbits very often, Thank Goodness.

4. seachange

seachange Member

This might be a little off topic, but I simply must mention how lovely it is to see your ADORABLE pet appear here and there in your garden photos!

On topic, what do you use the wolfberries for?

5. Durgan

Thanks for the comment about Neena.

I only got seven berries this year, and ate them raw like raisins. Apparently they are supposed to cure all that ails one. (Chinese Medicine).

They are grown simply as another bush berry for the home garden, along with currants, gooseberry, raspberries, and blackberries. There is enough room so I plant for variety.

6. wolf

wolf Active Member

Goja berries can be consumed fresh. The only reason they are cured (in fact just sun dried) is only for storage and requirements from Traditional Chinese Medicine. Goja berries are in fact slightly toxic, which means you should not consume maybe over 1 kilogramme.