Miscanthus: Wrap, Cut, Divide

Discussion in 'Poaceae' started by M. D. Vaden, Nov 15, 2009.

1. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

One of my favorite ornamental grasses are the big miscanthus. Tried out something for the first time on our own this weekend. Pre-bundling the stems before taking the hedge trimmers out. I tied to a handful of stems, walked around a few times and bundled the tops. Tops layed like felling a tree. Used natural twine.

I divide mine for extras or for gifts to friends and other gardeners. The best way I found is to chop the center through with an axe - too hard for a shovel. Easily could have made the half into two quarters.

Planted this one June of 2008 as a 5 gallon plant. This is one of my fun things in the year.

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Isn't Miscanthus showing up on various invasive species lists?

3. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

Give Miscanthus giganteus a try...if you like the big ones, hard to beat this one.

4. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

Maybe elsewhere. In 10 years I've never seen one seed sprout in a west Portland landscape. But maybe down in parts of California, I may have heard reports of germination. Locally, not just 10 years, but I've never seen one grow from seed. Blue fescue a few times. Pampas for sure near Brookings, OR and north CA.

Just looked that one up on Wikipedia - sterile it says. There's a promotional aspect for several regions. Yeah, I'd love to try one over 10 feet tall.