Identification: Is this a Amanita muscaria, fly agaric mushroom?

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by urbanite, Nov 8, 2009.

1. urbanite

urbanite Member

I found s bunch of these mushrooms in front of my home in vancouver and am wondering if they are Amanita muscaria mushrooms?

thanks

Attached Files:

2. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Oh GORGEOUS! I'm moving to your neighborhood now! lol
    Definatley our wonderful Amanita muscaria. You must have some fir trees nearby?

3. urbanite

urbanite Member

yes.. there about 10 of them growing all together.. some of the caps are probably 7 inches long. I was speaking with a neighbour and she said that there were about 2 last year.. so i am drying a couple of them. are they the magical kind?

4. 1950Greg

1950Greg Active Member

Langley, B.C. Stones throw from old HBC farm.
    Just in passing my daughter and I spotted a colony of Amanita muscaria growing under a group of Birch trees in someones front yard near Manitoba and King Edward st. a few nights ago. We both spotted them when the lights from my car lit them up and we just had to stop and investigate.

5. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

The only thing magical besides the beauty that I have found in these is how much sadness occurs when someone decides to try them. Licking, eating or smoking these are all deadly choices that some idiots look for out there with this species.
    If only.........
    There is a REASON these were/still ARE used as fly killer.
    There are science organizations though, who still study them and ask for dried specimins.

6. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

That's the mushroom that got me interested in wanting to take photos of different mushrooms.

Oregon coast and coast range is one of my favorite spots to go looking.

7. sabetts

sabetts Active Member

Fly Agaric isn't deadly poisonous. However, you do need to prepare it properly (sun dry or cook it), apparently, to reduce the nasty side effects. And what's more the active chemicals pass into your urine unmetabolized! So save that urine for a friend! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2009
  8. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Luckily, neither any of my friends nor I would need someone else's urine for any usages...I'm just one of those who wouldnt' try it just because I prefer to be 100% THERE when the police come knocking on my door....
    ...and again? I just can't imagine eating something that is used to kill FLIES! Eeeww
    THIS really IS one of the most gorgeous mushrooms out there though...I understand completely M.D.....I'm a 'mycophile' mainly because of the beauty of this mushrooms' family.
    I've only seen these when other's have found them and hope one day to discover one of my very own...lol...however? I did discover my own Amanita species that is new to Kansas just this year. This family of mushrooms produces some of the most exotically beautiful colors not to mention the chemical make-ups of them.

9. sabetts

sabetts Active Member

AFAIK, A. Muscaria is entirely legal to buy, sell, possess, and consume in the US and Canada.

It's definitely one of the most stunning mushrooms I've ever seen!

10. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

I've never read that it was illegal? I just think of how I...me personally...would find it rather uncomfortable to eat, smoke, drink or consume in any other way...something that makes me do things I wouldnt' normally. I'm a diabetic/epileptic...I tend to avoid anything that happens to my body that I can't control...lol I'm already having enuf problems as it is. I dream constantly, have nightmares regularly, and tend to date and marry creatures that belong to imaginary realms. Sooooo....why should I try a hallucinagen again? lol....
    If I were healthier? It might have been one of those things I'd have considered trying at least once to see what the 'hype' is about. Especially when I was young and immature. However, I do know that these are studied extensively even as we type for all it's other uses.....
    (something I read once.....I think it takes about 15 caps to kill someone...that's a pretty healthy meal!)

11. sabetts

sabetts Active Member

I'm sorry, I misinterpreted what you meant by being all there when the police come knocking on your door.

12. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

lol...no problem. I often get teased by the locals about what mushrooms am I 'doing' when my blood sugars have dropped and I start acting goofy.

13. fish dr

fish dr Active Member

It doesn't kill the flies either, unless they drown in the milk it is traditionally soaked in.

They lie there "tripping" for five to eight hours and then fly away.

IMO this is a way to give the mushroom lots of time to coat the hairy, sticky fly with spores so that he will fly off and spread them elsewhere. Very clever way to spread your seed.

THere are at least eight genetically distinct species (that cannot interbreed) that all look pretty much identical and could be described as Amanita muscaria.

They all cause different types of sick and euphoric states. Vomiting is pretty much a characteristic. Reports to the Pacific Forestry Centre in Victoria would seem to indicate that those found in North America bring on, after a violent illness and tremendous anxiety, a kind of "thank GOd that's over and I survived it kind of elation" and some European and Eurasian lines are a less sick and more euphoric sensation.

Those grow all over the lawns at UBC under Pines and Birches.

We picked a lot there when I lived there and dried them for possible future experiments that we thought the better of.

No, I have not tried them.

Good Luck