pumpkins and squashs

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by greenboy, Oct 12, 2009.

1. greenboy

greenboy Active Member

is that time of the year again, I am having pumpkins and squash like crazy, how about you guys?

2. JanR

JanR Active Member

I have lots of small pumpkins this year, but only three Ambercup Squashes. The vines are all dead now from the freeze we had on the weekend. It's a good thing that I brought them in. :)

3. LilSprout

LilSprout Active Member

Lots of flowers this summer, but not many fruits
    We were very warm/dry this summer (Higher temps. than usual) and then we got very cold over night.

4. 2annbrow

2annbrow Active Member

North Bend OR US;Oregon coast, just N of Coos Bay
    The last time I grew squash, people in our neighborhood started believing in the "Zucchni Fairy," because something would creep up at night and leave bags of them on their porches!
    Didn't do a veggie garden this year [had a back operation - whee!] but my friens had to do some hand-pollinating! The lack of honeybees around here is becoming a real problem.

5. greenboy

greenboy Active Member

I love Zucchini bread, LOVE IT!

6. 2annbrow

2annbrow Active Member

Yes, me too, but with 6 loaves already in the freezer, and nobody - even our postperson - willing to accept more - well, the Zucchini fairy had to appear!

7. JanR

JanR Active Member

I have lots of shredded zucchini and chopped zucchini in the freezer. Already to make soups, stew, casseroles and of course zucchini bread, and muffins etc.

8. 2annbrow

2annbrow Active Member

Has anyone tried drying zucchini?

9. theodora

theodora Member

zucchini bread

Hey, I am an American in France and my in-laws have been inundated with zucchini from their very large "potager" garden.

I told them that you can make zucchini bread, even chocolate zucchini bread, and they think I am nuts. Can you guys recommend a good recipe or recipes? I'd like to astonish them!

I've already got them eating the little pumpkiny-squash they grew, but they're not convinced about pumpkin pie, so next time I visit them I'm going to bake one & hope they like it.

I also gave them some watermelon seeds, but the melons never quite got large enough this year; I think they don't get enough sun near Paris.

Thanks!

10. Dana09

Dana09 Active Member

No
    but
    It can be grated and frozen as I recall from my zuc days.
    I found out that it disappears in spaghetti sauce without turning it all watery as I thought it would.
    It makes for a great disappearing addition, grated, in soups and adds a wonderful flavour.

Hey, one could be left at my door!

I had only one aerial spaghetti squash plant in my small veggie garden this year, festooning the forsythia the back of which it had crept up.

Pumpkins are appearing on many porches around here as Halloween approaches.

D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  11. JanR

JanR Active Member

Re: zucchini bread

This is one of my favorite zucchini breads. I also make it with cranberries instead.

http://www.grist.org/article/zucchini_bread/

Good luck!

12. runningtrails

runningtrails Active Member

Often the production of winter squash is low due to poor pollination. You can have lots of blooms and very littel squash. I hand pollinated all mine this year and the numbers were much improved. I grew ambercup too. They are one of my favourites! After this year compared to previous, I am sold on hand pollination.

13. emandeli

emandeli Member

When you grate and freeze the Zuch'a...does all the moisture etc clump into ice? Do you let sit on papertowel or something first?

14. JanR

JanR Active Member

You can let in thaw in a strainer and then most of the liquid will drip off. I also will try and squeeze as much moisture as I can out of the zucchini before I freeze it.

15. Vancouver Island

Vancouver Island Active Member

Originally Posted by theodora View Post
    I told them that you can make zucchini bread, even chocolate zucchini bread, and they think I am nuts. Can you guys recommend a good recipe or recipes? I'd like to astonish them!

Don't forget chocolate zucchini cake! Cooks.com have some great recipes and a fabulous search wagon! Enter the ingredients you want to use and bingo, they provide the recipes. Hope this helps!