container gardening.

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by sandpebbles, Apr 14, 2009.

1. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

Sounds good, Sandpebbles. Good luck.

: )

P.S. Thanks, about Thanksgiving.

2. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

I don't trust vaccination companies with some of the stories I've heard, they have too much control over what goes into those vials. I'd prefer to catch the flu every few years than get a drug company's needle in me every single year and sometimes twice a year. There's also way too much hype about the swine flu - its not as horrible as the regular flu and they never make a big deal about that.

Got your email HBL, and thank you. I will be busy digging up some things and getting some potted plants inside this weekend; starting to get chilly down here.

3. sandpebbles

sandpebbles Member

a young girl just recently lost her life. it was reported on the news. i believe she was in the 5th grade. the old and very young are more susceptible. best to keep your hand sanitizer handy if no access to a sink. scary stuff. anyway, digging up stuff. do you have much humidity where you are. usually it's far from a blessing however, it's been a buffer for our 50's temp. amazingly, my plants are still outside and thriving.

hollyberry, i just realized i missed an opportunity. what are canadian thanksgivings like. is there a traditional meal.

4. The Hollyberry Lady

Same as everywhere I would think - turkey and pumpkin pie!!!

P.S. Sad about the young girl.

: (

5. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

That's funny, because hand sanitizer doesn't kill viruses (influenza is a virus). :P

Indeed, sad about those whom any type of flu kills, but it irritates me when people get so distressed over this swine flu as it has killed less people in its time than the regular flu has in half the same amount of time.

~*~

Boy, was it humid today!!! I felt like I was in a sauna every moment I spent outside. It has been swinging back and forth from chilly to blazing hot here and I shall be bringing in as many plants as possible from nature. Banana plants were not naturally selected to thrive in Dallas's winters. :P

SP, would you like some succulents? I will be making as many cuttings for as many people as possible for I know not how they will do inside for me. Best to let others have a go as well. ;)

HBL, one year we had sweet-potato pie and I swear it was just as yummy, and possibly slightly more nutritious. Hope your pie was scrumptious all the same. :)

6. The Hollyberry Lady

Thanksgiving isn't actually until Monday, but the feast has started early for me - like yesterday! I even made cinnamon rolls! Oh boy I am excited about turkey - yipppeeeeeeee!

Yeah Zac, this whole anti-bacterial this and anti-bacterial that, has got way out of hand. It is nearly ridiculous. How is the immune system supposed to get any practice? When I was a kid, they didn't have anti-bacterial anything, and we got through just fine. People are more sick than ever these days. I never get a flu shot, and I am rarely ever sick.

Anyhow, yes, it is Thanksgiving long weekend, starting tomorrow - I mean today...um...well you know what I mean! I am going to continue pigging out until I can't button up my pants anymore!

: O

I've been good all Summer, cycling like crazy. Now I just want to eat like a horse! I am picking hot peppers like crazy too, and giving them to tenants and also to my mom, and stuffing my freezer full of them!

Hope all is well.

7. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Oh yes, I know what you mean about thanksgiving. It usually ends up being the whole week rather than a single day! :D

My friend had a run-in with some hot peppers he just couldn't stop talking about. Said they were regular 'ole chili peppers but they were so hot that his whole face burned and the next morning when he rubbed his eyes they began burning again! Ever heard of a chili pepper being that hot?

8. The Hollyberry Lady

If I can stop laughing my a*s off, I will answer your post!

OMG, Zac, that is just hilarious about your friend. It was this part that threw me into hysterics...

Oh no, here I go, laughing again! Hold on....

As if that weren't classic enough, then you came out with...

Hahahahaha! That is one of the funniest things I've read in awhile. Thank you. Oh my Lord, that was so funny.

Ok, seriously though, the real reason that his eyes burned when he rubbed them is because he likely had capsaicum (chemical ingredient in peppers that produces the heat) on his fingers and hands from touching the peppers, and rubbed it back onto his eyes!

Also, his face burning could be that he was touching his face and the capsaicum also got on there too. Heat producing creams to help relieve sore muscles are all extracts from hot peppers, of the heat producing ingredient capsaicum. Neat, huh?

Some hot peppers are really hot and can make you sweat profusely, but I tend to think that your friend had the chemical on his hands and just kept transferring it to his face. It can't be washed off, it just dissipates over time. Tell him to wear gloves when handling the peppers next time.

It really was so funny the way you described it, and just the innocence of how you asked about it. I am still giggling.

9. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Well, I know about those chemicals, but I've never heard of it being that bad with some every-day pepper.

'Twas rather funny when he said it too, the first time...

10. The Hollyberry Lady

Well, Zac, I hope you don't take offence, it was just the way you worded it - I can't explain it. It just struck me funny.

Honestly though, I even touch my face after I've been tinkering around with hot peppers, and it definitely makes your face feel real hot. Be careful not to touch other areas as well!

11. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Lol - other areas... :P

Hey, those chives you sent me aren't germinating. Any special requirements that chives require different than that of oregano or basil?

12. The Hollyberry Lady

Hmmmm, those chive seeds are fresh too - just bought them.

Um, no, not that I can think of, they usually come up pretty easily. Did you sow them all?

13. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

What does the bought pack say then HBL, how long to keep? That is always on every packet.

Apprently if older than one year they will not be viable, and can take up to two weeks to germinate.

Is it the right time to sow, you can't fool nature, I know I once tried with Calendulas...lolol

14. The Hollyberry Lady

I just said in the post above yours Katalina, that those chive seeds I sent ShearMe, are real fresh. I only bought them a few months ago, and I store them in the best possible conditions.

Not sure why they're not sprouting for you ShearMe, but have you fully taken care of those fungus gnats and their larvae? Other than that, I would just re-sow them.

15. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Oh hi HBL, I did'nt think you would be around to answer at this hour till this afternoon, thanks for that.

Yea true, But you/we can't gurantee 'live seed' everytime.

Good luck shearme!

16. The Hollyberry Lady

I can guarantee them when I bought them from an extremely reputable seed company, and have sprouted some of the exact seeds I sent ShearMe, myself.

Those are definitely fresh and viable seeds ShearMe - not from eBay.

17. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Hey lol

Nothing wrong with Ebay. But though I do buy from there I also buy from other sources.

I am about to order from a reputable Leweisa stockists, I never knew they sold seed in England till today. If they are cheap enough I would be trading if anyopne wants any seeds.

Attached Files:

18. The Hollyberry Lady

While eBay might be acceptable for some, my seeds are far too important to me to buy them second-rate. I must know that they're fresh and viable, with a guarantee.

This is not to put others down, that do order from eBay though, but it's just too risky for me.

P.S. Very lovely flowers, Katalina.

19. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Thanks about the Lewisa,

Its local shop bought I left one flower stem on another to look for seed before buying more seed.

Why is it risky? Genuine question HBL. I mean, is it a business at home as opposed to going out to work?

Most of us do the seeds for pleasure..least I do.

20. The Hollyberry Lady

I find it incredible that you have to ask me why it's risky!!!

LoL!

Anyone can sell seeds on eBay, and the seeds could be 10 years old for all you know! I am not saying that all seeds from eBay are not viable, but some of them are not.

We are just talking about seeds, but the truth is there are many items on eBay that are sketchy.I just mean that if a seed variety was very important to me, and I really wanted to make sure I got some plants from the seeds, I would not purchase them from eBay.

I need seeds that are new and very fresh, because I depend on good germination rate, and reliable vigorous growth.

Did you know that old seeds, even if they germinate, can produce slower growing plants?!!! Sometimes it might not be that noticeable, but I can tell the difference, especially after doing some experimenting.

Anyway, no worries, if you enjoy eBay seeds, you don't need to explain it to me. I am not judging others. I am a firm believer in the saying, 'to each their own'.

21. sandpebbles

sandpebbles Member

hey what's all that chatter going on in here...LOL. just reading what i missed. :)
    sorry about the grind about the anti-bacterial thing. my point was handwashing is key. so if inconvenient, it never hurts. the idea is to break the cycle. you'll be amazed at how many people don't wash their hands with any consistency. it was meant in good gesture. anyway, succulents sounds good. i'm not familiar though. i'm still at the tomato and pepper stage...LOL. thank you. you'll have to guide me on what i need to do.
    hollyberry, i've never been to canada so excuse my silly question. your talk of pie has got me hungry though :) sounds good. i saw some figs the other day so decided to try them. black mission and brown turkey are commonly planted here. well lets just say, figs are an acquired taste. so what to do when in doubt...i made a fig preserves. :) believe it or not, they were actually tasted good. perhaps that was the piece of the puzzle i missed...LOL. by the way holly, send me that package. it only took me five years to realize that it can't hurt. i may have some more for you as well. sorry about the back and forth. :)
    shearme, i agree with hollyberry, your friends story sounds hilarious...LOL tell him to add eyewear along with the gloves. it usually takes a couple of hours for the capsicum oils to wear off. applying yogurt preferably cold usually helps with the sting/burn. i somehow had juice from a pepper squirtted into my eye while in a hurry to deseed them...Yikes. it was mememorable. so yes eyewear wouldn't hurt. if that should happen just lean forward until the tears wash out the pepper. Do Not blot eye, it only makes it worse. another trial and error tip. :)

it's amazing my plants are still outside. i now have a new appreciation for humidity. go figure. by the way i found a closer hydroponics store nearby, which has got to beat shipping. so i'm suppose to meet with one of the saleman so he can walk me through. i believe the weather is forecast to hold next week. i was thinking of purchasing a dual bulb reflector however i'm being advised to get two systems. so i thought it best to go in for a visual / hands on interpretation. i can't decide between the hid/hps so i'm thinking why not get both in smaller wattage to total. does this make sense. man i'm hyper...LOL. hope i'm not driving you guys crazy with this stuff....

22. The Hollyberry Lady

Have had it happen too, where I was de-seeding a hot pepper and it squirted in my eye! Ouch. Thanks for that great yogurt tip - didn't know that.

No, it's ok about asking about Canada's traditional Thanksgiving meal. I actually prefer apple pie, to pumpkin, but it is traditional to eat pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving, so that's why I mentioned it.

About this...

Could you remind me what I said I'd send - just forget.

Yes, ShearMe's friend's story was just classic! I was telling a friend of mine about it tonight, and could not stop laughing. What a gas.

Anyway, glad the fig preserves worked out - sounds yummy. I love figs. My cuttings are growing!!!

23. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Succulents, SP are much easier to care for than peppers and tomatoes! Usually, they root in the mail even, and generally require very little water to remain alive while preferring direct hot sun for the most vibrant colors. All the varieties I shall send you can be grown in the simplest of pots - I use plastic cups and tin cans during the winter - and will flourish into large masses of plant material with little effort. I often find myself taking cuttings from cuttings of a cutting (if that makes sense). :)

24. The Hollyberry Lady

Yes, it is true - succulents are so easy to mail, and to grow. ShearMe is right, they often do root while in the mail! Thay are my favorite cuttings to mail to people, for sure.

Great you're getting some Sandpebbles! ShearMe's got some real cool plants, so I know you will be happy.

25. sandpebbles

sandpebbles Member

thanks shearme, succulents it is. i figure if you're willing to try tomatoes i can at least try succulents. :) they sound like indoor plants during the winter. since they root easily, do they require deep pots or a defined space. i like the fact that they're drought tolerant. the drought was really bad last year.

hey hollyberry, funny thing about tradition, we all tend to promote and maintain. :)
    i also eat pumpkin pie however i'm partial to coconut creme or key lime pie. Yummm.
    i do however look forward to that fried turkey. don't eat much fried, but...