container gardening.

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by sandpebbles, Apr 14, 2009.

1. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

No way!!! :O

2. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

Yes way!

: O

You must just insert the tips where they're broken off, into moist but not wet soil and then wait...

You'll soon see new leaves forming!

: )

3. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Oh, my... I'll be attempting this as soon as the daily drizzle stops.

4. The Hollyberry Lady

Jade leaves do the same, and 'pearls' that fall off my 'string of pearls' plant too. It doesn't have to be a whole big cutting with succulents to get them to root! I even root beads that fall off of my burro's tail too.

It's like every broken piece roots and becomes a new plant!

5. The Hollyberry Lady

By the way ShearMe - is that succulent you sent me a...

Mesembryanthemum/Delosperma cooperi ? Someone tells me it is, and that it will bloom? It's called winter ice plant or something? Do you know the name of it?

6. sandpebbles

sandpebbles Member

sorry shearme, i hadn't realized you're not much for tomatoes. for me, the typical tomato is better to cook with or used in a hamburger. however, i prefer a tomato to be flavorful, sweet and preferably low acid. it makes all the difference in the world. i grew all new tomatoes this year and already ordered seeds for next year. my family and i discovered a love for a few black/russian varieties. the best and most productive was black from tula which was rich, flavorful with a slightly salty taste, an unexpected find. yummm is all i can say. we also grew some pear shaped yellow cherry tomatoes that was nicely sweet and low acid called idli. and the orange permissions were just heavenly with a sweet slightly tart taste with low acid. a neighbor gave me a pineapple version that i will be growing next year (the only one i remembered to save seeds from). cayenne is a good pepper. there's so many varieties, even sweet. hollyberry grows alot of cayennes as you must know. the tam jalapeno is marketed as mild and is easy to pick up a plant in walmart. there's also biker billie which i understand losses most of it's heat as it ripens to a red. by the way, there are many non tomato based salsa you can google for recipes. i'd love to know more about your hydroponics system and set up. is it difficult, expensive. what sort of preparation would one need prior to starting.

hey hollyberry, have you ever done hydrophonics. it's encouraging to hear that you garden all year round. i believe you recommended a halide light. is there a specialty light bulb i can use in my overheat fixture to give coverage to the room. how do you keep light above your plants. is your bulb installed in some sort of floor lamp. hey shearme, chime in. i'm not sure why i have so much trouble visualizing a set-up. all posted pictures i've seen, seems to be attached to the ceiling in some way. i would prefer not to attach anything to the ceiling. what would you guys suggest.

7. The Hollyberry Lady

Well, no I wasn't suggesting you get a Halide because buying an HID (high intensity discharge) light system is a personal choice and you should really do some research so you can make an informed decision, and go with something that suits your needs best.

My bulb inserts into a socket with a reflector attached to it, and it suspends down from the ceiling, shining on my plants. They are best hanging from the ceiling, but there are vertical types that can be attached to the wall, I believe. The type of bulb you use, is also a personal choice, and there are many to choose from. I use a warm deluxe full-spectrum SunMaster bulb.

You can also buy fluorescent type coil bulbs that screw into a desk lamp type thing, but they can only support certain plants - not veggies I doubt. I like herbs under fluorescents and it is strong enough light to support a lot of them.

No, I have never grown hydroponics - yet. I know a lot about how it works though, because my ex was super into it and had a big set-up growing herbs and veggies. I may get into it later, but for now I am very happy and can grow what I enjoy.

Yes, cayenne is my most favorite hot pepper of all. So full of flavor, and heat too. Just love them. I am working on germinating some seeds as we speak!

8. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Sorry, I was out of town over the night and didn't have time to check my email much over the week.

That's exactly what it looks like to me!!! I wish I knew it was a winter plant, I'd have kept it inside and alive. :(

It does flower, usually only lasts a day like most big succulent flowers. I don't know the name, because the nursery I go to has either made up their own names for plants, or calls them by some unknown local-lanscaper-code.

I would recommend buying the latest edition of How-To Hydroponics by Keith Roberto for a basic knowledge of how hydroponics works. Keith includes the details and instructions of how to build your own system (he's even got pictures!). I'd recommend the electronic version because the book my dad got me had the pictures in black-and-white and in some it was impossible to tell what the picture was of. He also has an online store that supplies all the parts mentioned in the book as well as pre-built systems and other gardening goodies. (http://howtohydroponics.com/)

I have an 'Emily's Garden' by Hydrofarm which is another great supplier of hydroponic essentials - if you buy from them on Amazon.com (elsewhere it can be overpriced).

It is best NOT to get a vertical light, according to my research, because the light distribution on vertical systems is not distributed well enough across your plant area.

Though the easiest, and generally the cheapest, way to hang your light is from the ceiling, I wont get a light system if I can't find a way to hang it from some sort of stand. I have a shelf right above my hydroponics system, and am looking into getting a stand for my future HID, but I also have a shop class where I could possibly build my own stand for the light.

As far as the bulb to choose goes...

I found a response to HBL's post on another thread regarding bulbs:

Now, I agree with this guy that the best bulb I could find was the Hortilux Blue BUT, that's not to say that a cheaper bulb would be great for your needs. No light out there worth buying is going to be cheap, with exception to fluorescents which you wont want unless growing lower-light-requirement-needing plants, as HBL said: Herbs. If you're starting a hydroponics business, I'd go for the best equipment you can find out there, but if not, you must evaluate your needs for a custom solution.

I have a fluorescent "grow light" over my hydroponics system right now which has one pepper plant in it, and the plant is alive, but the flowers fall off rather than turn to fruit and ripen. I have to decide on 1) growing herbs in this set-up, 2) moving the system outside, and 3) buying an HID light. Each choice would have its own benefits and equally its own downsides, so I'm going to wait 'till next spring to make my decision. That also lets me see how good the pepper plant will survive over winter indoors.

P.S. I've had problems germinating seeds indoors due to fungus gnat larvae eating up my sprouts, but as far as I can tell, they're all dead after adding a penny(small copper coin [I don't know if you're in the US or not]) at the base of each plant bucket.

9. The Hollyberry Lady

I am actually sorry that you posted that quote Zac, because it is just a typical response from someone who thinks their's is better and that everyone else's light system is crap. Shame too, in all fairness that you didn't post my response to that post as well...

There's all kinds of 'information' out there - and most of it contradicting. I didn't buy a vertical light because I wanted more light distribution as well, but others may enjoy it and have different needs. It really is a personal choice, and people should refrain from telling others what to buy - and from putting down other people's systems as well.

Also, not sure what the deal is with suspending the light from the ceiling - unless a person is incompetent at putting up a proper hook that will support it strongly. Mine has been hanging for three solid years from a sturdy, expensive, and ornamental chain, so I can bring it up or lower it - totally convenient.

Especially beware of inexperienced supplemental light growers, telling you what to buy and giving all kinds of advice! They like to think they know what they are talking about, but in reality they really don't. Do your own research.

My pictures of my plants, under my so-called crappy SunMaster bulb this Winter, will speak volumes about the absolute quality of my bulb.

10. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Whoa! I wasn't dissing your bulb at all! I NEVER said it was crappy, just that the other bulb was slightly more "advanced" and had a wider range of light. All I said was that with the evidence I found online, if you were to set up each bulb over an identical plant, the plant under the Hortilux Blue bulb would probably be better; not that the plant under the sun master bulb would be bad, just not as great as the other.

This LGHT guy seemed very brackish to me as well, and the only reason I posted his post was because he had the graphs. I should have just copy-pasted the link to the images, but I guess I was lazy because I wrote out all that information.

With the whole ceiling hanging thing, pebbles said:
    So I simply stated what I myself have decided to do; nothing against your "expensive chain" or your own methods.

The only reason I said it was best not to get a vertical light system is because unlike what you said
    I've never heard of such a case. If I find someone with a good reason to get a vert. system which makes logical sense, I'll be sure to amend my statement so that I leave an exception for the case(s) in which it would be beneficial.

I completely agree and was only giving pebbles some options I myself have found out there.

11. The Hollyberry Lady

I wasn't neccesarily saying that you Zac, were putting down my bulb, but that guy in your quote definitely was and I hated the post the first time, and even more a second. I just was annoyed to see it again.

I do agree that the graphs are useful - I have pictures of those graphs on my bulb box. All I am saying is that even if you went and bought the very best light on the market, in a few months something else would come out even better.

Plus too, I know people with HP sodium lamps that have plants under them that look like absolute crap! A lot can depend on the grower and their methods - no matter how great the bulb.

I've even gone into hydroponic stores and grow light stores and saw some of the best supplemental light systems on the market set up, and the plants under them looked horrible! You just wouldn't have believed, and I thought 'now who the heck's gonna buy that, so they can grow ugly, spindly, sorry looking things like those'?!!!

No one, that's who!

I just know what I like and what works - for me. Hate it when people start comparing my bulb - I could buy any number of bulbs, but I chose this one because of the results I get. May try a gavita or a conversion bulb later, just for funzies. We'll see...

That LGHT guy, was interested in the highest yields and the biggest crops - not my interest at all.

No worries Zac - nice to offer suggestions and tips that you're learning, nothing wrong with that.

12. sandpebbles

sandpebbles Member

hello guys. it's amazing that this thread has been going for so long. i mean what number post are we on. i believe i saw posts by other members as well. it's just the coolest thing that you both created a truly great and ongoing resource that others can refer to (including myself). you both are to be commended. i often read and hear that many more people are turning to container gardening as it more convenient and can be done in the smallest of places. meaning, many more people are looking for a reliable resource/forum to which they can ask questions if not to exchange ideas. brilliant. i very much appreciate both of your ideas. it's amazing how much information has been provided. thank you :) i did an interesting thing today. i have two light fixtures that require specialty bulbs (something one notices only when the bulb has to be changed) so in the process of purchasing needed items, i noticed that the metal shelving unit i've had my eye on was on sale. hence between that and the very nice and knowledgable man that was assisting me, i purchased some grow lights and some other things to suspend the lights above each shelf. an impulse buy i know, but i notice that the night temps are starting to dip into the mid to high 60's. so i decided to act. the thing is, there's so much out there it can render one inactive. with that being said, and from reading the above information what else can i add to my light system (make shift as it maybe) to optimize it. my plants have several fruit on them. and did i tell you guys i have smaller plants that's now flowering. i often say i may have overdone it. but hollyberry and shearme..."i've overdone it"...LOL. i sometimes feel like i'm being chased by an avalanche. not a good thing. :o
    hollyberry, i sent you some seeds yesterday. i hope you like them. i changed it up a little. and shearme, send me an e-mail with your address i'm sure i can find something to send you.

13. sandpebbles

sandpebbles Member

oh and hollyberry, i'm glad i didn't send you the explosive purple ember as i see you already have that. i'll have to work harder next time. :)

14. The Hollyberry Lady

Thanks you Sandpebbles - I must send some special varieties your way as well...

Glad to hear you got a light system! Are they fluoresecent? The shelf set-up can be cool - I've done it with fluorescent fixtures before. You're going to have lots of fun. African Violets are a must have, under fluorescent lights and they bloom like crazy! The shelves willl be great, to put all your plants on - right nicely under the light!

I bet you are bursting with excitement. I was when I got my first light system. Good luck with it and have lots of fun. Keep us posted...

15. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Well sandpebbles, this thread is a tribute to HBL's genius, not mine. I simply follow her 'round the net soaking in as much information as I can to improve my own gardening skills.

16. The Hollyberry Lady

LoL, Zac! Too funny. I still have much to learn, but thank you.

17. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Don't be so humble... you know you're the best container gardener around!

18. The Hollyberry Lady

Always good to be humble, but it really is nice of you to acknowledge my container gardening talents, Zac.

Funny too, I was going to call myself 'Container Gardener' but I just love Hollyberry's too much and changed it to what it is now.

19. sandpebbles

sandpebbles Member

thanks hollyberry. i am very excited. yes, i bought #22 flourescent grow lights. my plan is to attach two lights to the undersides of each shelf to start. i suppose i'll have to figure out how to make them adjustable at some point. for now, while the flourescents are great, they're unable to generate any real heat. so i'll have to add another light that can add heat along with supplemental lighting not supplied by the flourescents. most of my plants originated from warmer climates. most are rather large plants loaded with lots of peppers. in addition, i have about 7 young plants now setting their first flowers. shearme, i should have your discipline (a good thing). i'm also thinking of purchasing a small heater to compensate for any drafts from my garage door. i saw some small models that use radiant heat or pre-filled oil heat. i'm just thinking out loud here but does this sound crazy. what do you all think. shearme... should i just check myself in. LOL
    oh and hollyberry, i agree with shearme, you're being too modest. your knowledge is extensive (i have to use skates to keep up) and your infectious enthusiam transcends any computer screen. :) shearme, you're also a modest one. somehow i find it hard to believe that your ability to keep up is accidental. it seems to me that you also have a good knowledge base. :) not a bad team, i'm just saying...hehe. good for you both.

20. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Well thank you, mam.

I don't quite understand what you are proposing with the space heater for garage drafts, our garage door has rubber seals around the base. Installing some of those would be more cost effective than a space heater I'm sure. Heating mats might also be more energy efficient than a heat lamp, but I'm not quite sure of the advantages of each over the other.

If you're leaving these plants on the shelf, a cool idea popped into my head that you could secure some sort of plastic mat over their openings and create a little greenhouse for winter times. Not thin plastic like cling-wrap or tape, but something thick that you could attach some hinges to would make a nice little environment. Just an idea (worthless things ideas are).

21. The Hollyberry Lady

Awe thanks too, Sandpebbles - very kind. I just don't want to toot my own horn, you know?

Regarding your new fluorescent light system - after awhile you may get sick of adjusting your lamp, so you can just adjust your plants instead. I use empty pots to stick my plants on top of, books or whatever, to bring the plants up to the light. This way the light never has to move, just the plants do - much easier.

Yes, look into what would be the most energy efficient to run over the winter, to keep things warm for you. That's right, fluoresecents don't give off much, or any heat at all, but my other lamp definitely does, because it is high intensity.

Well, I am glad my enthusiasm is contagious - I've been told that so many times throughout my life. I think positive encouragement is the best thing for new gardeners. So many others ramble on about technicalities and details that just boggle a new gardener's mind and can totally discourage them from even trying!

With gardening, there is no right or wrong, because there are many ways to do the same thing and it's ok. I like to encourage experimentation too, and allow others to see for themselves what might happen. Keeping it simple is best, and not getting too caught up in technical details when you're first attempting gardening, is the best way. This will build confidence and make someone want to try something a little more challenging next time.

Good luck, Sandpebbles - hope it all works out great for you. I can just imagine all your beautiful and lovely plants this winter - oh how exciting!

22. sandpebbles

sandpebbles Member

cough...cough...cough...MaM. :o LOL... shearme, i'm thinking of warming the overall space as i have over 30 plants and not all will fit on a shelfing system. not to mention that they'll need air. the garage tends to be cold in spite of garage door seals hence draft. most heat mats i've found tend to have smaller dimensions. i would need one equivalant to at least a twin size bed. if the dimensions of that greenhouse/hothouse doesn't work (thanks for the link), i may have to look into some sort of make-shift plastic/vinyl curtain. silly question hollyberry, but does your high intensity light come with a low, med or high type of control. you'd never believe i researched this stuff some time ago and read a multitude of other approaches. since i'm far from technically inclined i'm always in search for anything visual. you're so right hollyberry. it really can be a bit overwhelming at times. and thanks to your encouragement, i've graduated from pro-mix. LOL. hey shearme, just think, if it wasn't for ideas....

23. The Hollyberry Lady

By the way, Zac...

I have mailed you 16 different seed varieties tonight! Decided not to wait on the seeds until next weekend, but the cuttings I will, if that's ok.

I sent you a tomato variety called 'sweetie' because it's the sweetest one I have for you to try. If you don't like this one - you won't like any of them, so we'll see.

Don't know if you're into herbs like chamomile, chives, parsley, basil, etc. but you will be receiving these, and then some shortly! I also sent some flower seeds and veggies too. You'll be surprised. I just thought you could use a little package from the Hollyberry Lady, right away. Hope you enjoy them. My way of saying 'thank you'.

Included a few Bay leaves for you to try as well. The smell is so amazing. Be sure to rub the leaves and have a whiff when you get the envelope.

Not to worry Sandpebbles, I didn't forget you, just need a bit more time...

24. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Something wrong with me calling you mam? :o

Well since you have 30 plants and not jsut the few on the shelf..... maybe a space heater would be great for where you keep them. If you keep your house too cold during winter months for your tropical(?) plants you could put them in a room with no vent connected to your central heating, enclose the space with some sort of, like you said, "make-shift plastic/vinyl curtain" and stick the space heater in with them.

"ShearMe, just think, if it wasn't for ideas.... "

If it wasn't for ideas some of the worst tragedies in history would never have happened. Sure you could argue that there are still good ideas, but when do all the good ideas combined in one make any horrible idea seen through justified?

Very cool HBL, and thank you. I think I might just have to use my hydroponics for herbs since you've sent so many different ones, just hope I can actually germinate them without any bugs eating them away...

25. The Hollyberry Lady

No Sandpebbles - there's now low or high setting for my HID light. Sorry - just read your post now.