Acer Palmatum bright red

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Maggie Sproule, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Maggie Sproule

Maggie Sproule Member

I have seen an Acer Palmatum, similar to Atropurpureum, but it has mush brighter, redder leaves which seem to stay constant through the Summer. It belongs to a friend and there is no label so we have no idea what it is called (so that I can try to get one.) Any suggestions?

2. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi,

If you could post a couple of photos of the maple (leaf shape and colour, overall form) there will be a much better chance of identifying it. I couldn't possibly make a suggestion based on your description alone, and I doubt anyone else could either, there are far too many varieties of red Japanese maples.

Good luck

P.S.
    Just in case, you might want to look up Acer palmatum 'Fireglow' and A. p. 'Bloodgood' and see if they are similar to the tree in question. The palmatums with the brightest red leaves such as 'Shindeshojo' and 'Chishio improved' take on a greenish colour during the summer, but they might be worth looking at too.

3. sasquatch

sasquatch Active Member

My Oregon Sunset is a rich, bright red, and not the purple red or purple black of many red cultivars.

4. mattlwfowler

mattlwfowler Active Member Maple Society

'Crimson prince' has a "redder" color than 'Fireglow' during the summer, though it does bronze a bit in full sun (though less than 'Bloodgood'). The 'Emperor' trees are good too.

5. maf

Remember, the original poster is located in the UK, and recent American varieties such as Oregon Sunset and Crimson prince are not widely distributed or easy to get hold of here. If someone had gone to the trouble of getting one, they would likely know what it was called. (Incidentally, some nurseries in the UK offer a dissectum called Crimson Prince, which is a different tree entirely and probably an illegitimate name).

We really do need pictures in order to make a reasonable suggestion.

6. Maggie Sproule

Maggie Sproule Member

You are all absolutely right.......I will go and photograph it tomorrow and will then have to find out how to attach it to this site! Many thanks for the help so far.........plenty to look for but nothing close yet. It has much broader "fingers" than most I have seen....as I say, much more like the ordinary atropurpurecens.
    Will see if I can pass the photo test tomorrow!

7. Maggie Sproule

Maggie Sproule Member

I have now taken a photo of the Acer.............I have taken it with a normal Acer Palmatum Atropurpureum Dissectum behind it for comparison.
    The colour is constant throughout the season.

Attached Files:

8. kaspian

kaspian Active Member 10 Years

Nice color! Could it be 'Olsen's Frosted Strawberry'?

9. maf

Fantastic colour, and if it holds all season that is very special........don't know what it is though.

10. Maggie Sproule

Maggie Sproule Member

It still seems to be a bit of a mystery. Have sent the photo to the National Acer Collection at the Arboretum....see what they come up with. Will post it here if I get a response! Thanks for all the comments.........it's got me doing lots of research!

11. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

12. Maggie Sproule

Maggie Sproule Member

Thanks Gomero.........that is the nearest so far...but having looked at Yasemin on several different sites, there seems to be a huge difference in colouring......some look like the one and others are so different!
    Will be interesting to see what the arboretum has to say!

13. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

I meant, I think your plant is a shirasawanum or a shirasawanum hybrid.
    Is your plant a grafted specimen?, if yes it makes sense to discuss cultivars.
    'Yasemin' color changes throughout the season for a given specimen at a given location. It also changes for specimens planted at different locations. The most meaningful comparison of leaf color should be made early spring when the genetic makeup has not yet been modulated by local conditions.
    'Gloria' is also similar

Gomero