Where can I get Holy Basil Plant in Vancouver or Burnaby?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by minujacob, Aug 17, 2009.

1. minujacob

minujacob Member

hi,

I am looking to buy a Holy Basil Plant (or Tulsi)? Any idea, where I can get it in the lower mainland?

Thanks

2. bob 2

bob 2 Active Member

3. bedixon

bedixon Active Member

I am growing 3 kinds of tulsi, it's flowering right now and I'll be saving seed. If you don't find your plant and want to try growing from seed, let me know. I'm on Salt Spring.

4. minujacob

minujacob Member

bedixon - Thanks.. I will be on the look out, if I don't.. I will have to contact you.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2010
  5. Chhaya

Chhaya Member

What kind of Tulsi do you have. I am looking for Shayma tulsi seeds and there is one tulsi that has very big leaves, do you have that too.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2010
  6. bedixon

bedixon Active Member

Chhaya: My book on Tulsi notes Shyama is the same as Krishna... ? I was given some seed that was apparently brought back from India from someone that had visited tulsi farms. He had 3 types, on the bags are marked "sanchi" Krishna, "camphor" Krishna, and Ram(a). the camphor germinated well and I am ready to harvest seed from this now from about a dozen plants. The sanchi I got only one plant, and the ram only 2 germinated... the seed was 2 years old and I think generally basil is viable for one. I also don't know the conditions (temps) the seed was kept at. Anyway, here are pictures of the different types and you'll notice the one in flower, camphor, has a smooth leaf, quite different from any pictures I've seen of tulsi. It has a strong scent that reminds me a little of licorice and I like the tea I've made from fresh leaves. The others are very similar to each other, and more what I expected from seeing pictures, but one is much more a purple stem and leaf vein colour. It is the Sanchi type. These pictures were taken when the plants were smaller, and they are just now coming into flower. The weather is cooling down, so I hope they keep going and make it to seed.
    Long story short, I have seed now for the smooth leaf "camphor" type.
    I don't have seed yet for the others, but hopefully will soon, but not as much. I can keep in touch with you on that, or, you're welcome to try some of the seed I do have, cuz I'll have quite a bit, I think. Haven't picked it yet.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  7. Chhaya

Chhaya Member

Re: Tulsi Seeds

Cool! Beautiful pictures. Tomorrow I will try to send you picture of my Tulsi plant. I live in Edmonton, AB do you think you will be able to mail me some seeds unless you know somebody coming here.

Chhaya

8. bedixon

bedixon Active Member

I can mail you seeds, maybe you can send me a SASE? can we private message for addresses?

9. Chhaya

Chhaya Member