Identification: PLease help

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by alal150587, Aug 10, 2009.

1. alal150587

alal150587 Member

What is this plant, can it be someind of pereskiopsis. if not could it be used to graft cacti???

thanks in advance

alexei

Attached Files:

2. Lila Pereszke

Lila Pereszke Well-Known Member 10 Years

Crassula ovata

3. alal150587

alal150587 Member

can i graft on it??

4. Lila Pereszke

No!!!

What cacti do you want to graft on it and why?!

5. alal150587

alal150587 Member

i was planing to graft 4 weeks old seedlings lophophora williamsi on pereskiopsis plants (still in mail). i have previously done it with the myrtillocactus geometrizans and it worked just very well.

unfortunately my seedling are too precious to experiment with but if anybody know about grafting to this plant please let me know

6. Lila Pereszke

Lophophoras grow well on their own roots... they don't need any grafting!!!

(I personally hate grafted cactis (even though I'm a cactus-fan) , because I think they look very unnatural and ugly, but here is Mr. PlantFrankenstein's homepage, if you really want to graft your Lophophoras on a miserable Crassula, or on a cat, or on something else... : http://www.lapshin.org/cultivar/N30/hasan-e.htm)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  7. alal150587

alal150587 Member

wow, really not a grafting fan. no i wouldnt graft them on the crassula because they are too precious. but how am i to get good lophos in 2, 3 years max without grafting. i am young but i dont have the will nor patience to wait 15 years and see them develop on their own. grafting lophos on pereskiopsis save so so so much time that it is worth consideration imo.

8. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

i wouldn't think grafting anything to the crassula would be successful - i could be completely wrong about it, though.

myrtillocactus geometrizans is the standard thing to use to graft things like your lophos. it's really not all that necessary though, since they can grow (albeit very slowly) on their own roots.

9. Lila Pereszke

Hm... I hope you don' want to use them... or?! (Cannabis or Papaver can grow much faster! :)))

Of course you are right, they can't grow so fast without grafting, but at least -after 5-10 years- they will be really beautiful specimens (if you don't eat them...), and not Frankenstein-plants... :(