My Poinciana tree is dieing

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by dhigel, Aug 7, 2009.

1. dhigel

dhigel Member

I have a 6 yr old royal poinciana that looks very sad this year. It has few green leaves and is always shedding some. What can be wrong? What should I do? Can it get to much water?

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

You can indeed overwater Poincianas - check that the soil around the base hasn't compacted or become waterlogged. If it has, move the tree right away (or if it's in a pot, repot it) into a drier location. Also check your soil nutrient levels, and fertilize if they're low. Poinciana are usually pretty hardy and hard to kill, but they can drown or starve just like any other plant.

3. dhigel

dhigel Member

WOW, Thanks lorax :I bet that is my problem. I can not move this 25 ft tree but I did have mulch on it and it was mildewed.. I have shut off the water to it and will dig up around it to get air. It will get fertilizer next week. I sure hope I don't loose it.

4. bokchoybritt

bokchoybritt Member

It also might help for you to remove anything from around the base of the tree. Plenty of sun and a dry period would help.

5. dhigel

dhigel Member

Thanks..I have removed all the mulch. Of corse then we got a rainy few weeks. I thank you for your help..

6. Dave-Florida

Dave-Florida Active Member

They seem easy to grow. With sandy soil, compaction shouldn't be much of a problem. Keeping mulch away from stems (shrubs, palms, trees) is always good advice. The recent dry weather should also have been good for the tree.