creeping charliy

Discussion in 'Organic Gardening' started by new at this, Jul 31, 2009.

1. new at this

new at this Member

First of all i must thank you & everyone who came up with this site. I came across a recipe for killng weeds the weed trouble i am having is called creeping charliy. They can cause a mess should i give them a good spaying the first time and then hit them with the spray again in a day or two?. And while i am on line is ther any one that knows of a home made remide to keep the wild life away from my garden with out harming them if so i sure could use some help with this problem as well.Thank You new at this

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

creeping charlie (ground ivy) is one nasty and persistant lil bugger!! hit it with your treatment - make sure to get the base of the stems/root area well - and then hit it again in about 3-4 days.

that's what i've done and it does get it. it can take a couple weeks for you to really see that it's biting the dust though.

i also found that, if i allowed it to go at will and then ripped up what i could easily get and then sprayed, that worked much better. removing the top growth and thus disturbing the roots (with not all being removed) allowed for the treatment to get directly on the roots and the stuff has NOT grown back in the areas i did that.

anywhere else it's been hit or miss with success - even with 3 or 4 treatments.

i'm not one, normally, to use chemicals. for me, this thing required it! we can still buy the really nasty stuff here, so, i got some and it did take care of the issue in the areas treated.

now, the problem is that there are still spots that need treated and the neighbors haven't treated at all, so, it'll eventually grow through to my side again...

3. bob 2

bob 2 Active Member

I would doubt strongly that anything available to residents of Ontario now will have any effect on Creeping Charlie.

I am hoping to be proven wrong but I hold little hope.

--- when good things go completely bad...

4. new at this

new at this Member

Thank YOU joclyn for your reply so fast can't thank you enough i sure will give your response a try

5. new at this

new at this Member

Thank you bob as well i sure wish i came across this site month's ago everyone is so helpful here thanxs once again bob