Post a peek of yourself here...

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by The Hollyberry Lady, Jun 10, 2009.

1. vicarious1

vicarious1 Active Member 10 Years

Burnaby North on a slope facing south & a view :-)
    Hallo Liz

What are tree loopers . Are these sort of lockus ? Never heard the term . Servus Vic

2. WillandLynn

WillandLynn Member

Hi everyone,
    Here are some pics of recent plantings.

Attached Files:

3. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Vic
    they are the men with a great big truck with a lifting arm and a bucket on the end that clear the trees from the electricity lines. The problem here is

a) I live on a dirt road so dust.

b) Every year they chop more and more till the trees become lop-sided and when the wind comes from the opposite direction to the prevailing winds over they go. Huge mountain ash (Eucalypts) and cypress. The more they cut the more they sprout unstable growth.

I know why they are getting more and more snip and cut crazy it's because of the fire danger but as far as I can tell they are actually making trees unstable and it looks awful after they have been through. I have mainly hedging type natives and they are usually tip pruned but they have damaged a pine inside my fence which now has 4 heads instead of one and they can't reach the top any more. So I suppose they will hack it down. Once our native blackwoods are interfeared with they become diseased and they have managed to cause that to another of my paddock trees. Fortunatly there are some young ones growing up. It is part of my native growth corridor which includes the footpath area. We don't have formal footpaths here. Just the reserve with a horse riding path meandering in and out.

Liz

4. tugo

tugo Active Member

Hi WillandLynn, it is nice to see that we share the same plant (If I am not wrong). Your last picture, the one in the middle, is called here "Red Baron" what a name..

Since 2 years it stays on my pond border and imo it looks beautiful. During the coming weeks it will bend over the pond water and will be another nice show:))

What is the other plant on your last picture, on both sides of Red Baron?
    Red Baron.jpg

5. eldumas

eldumas Member

Okay, my pic is of my favorite one right now, my puppy! His name is Sprocket, and my kids took that name from the TV show "Fraggle Rock." The second photo is of some Asiatic Lillies that greeted me when I came home from work about two weeks ago. The water was not a fake by me, it was exactly as you see it. I just did a "point and shoot."

Ed

Attached Files:

6. Nath

Nath Active Member

Hi Will,

The plants are looking great, I hadnt heard of those before, look like they could compliment some palms nicely. who did the planting you or Lynn?

Nath

7. vicarious1

Hello Liz sounds not very nice what they are doing. I understand the danger of fires as they were terrible how close is the next home ? Don't have any say at city hall where you can make a formal complaint ? It would be interesting to send us come pictures of the OZ outback I am sure many of us would like to see these path and your Australian garden. Servus Vic

8. vicarious1

Hello Tugo.I had several Red Baron plants. I collected all the seeds then shared them with HL but I am sorry to say I planted like 50 seeds and only ONE seems to have germinated and now is only 2 inches tall ( I am still worried will it mature) Do you know more of when and how to plant these seeds. In case I can get this plant to mature. I waited till it was late in the season and the brushed were totally dry ( as they look so nice and their near black candle structure) then I scraped off all the little balls within the hairy brush. Does it need the Freezer before planting ? Some told me here that it is NOT a perrenial but you say you had it for two years? I guess there in your area of Turkey you don't have a freezing winter. I LOVE " Red Barons"

9. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

Those red lilies are gorgeous, Eldumas! Thanks for sharing. The dog is adorable.

: )

10. vicarious1

Wanted to ask. What will bend the leafes only? right ? Did it grow bigger by iteself reseeding ?

11. tugo

tugo Active Member

Hi Vic,
    Red Baron is perrenial acording to many sources as well through some friends I know, living in much colder places than mine. In winter I cut off all the old grass away and from my notes, I see that it start giving new leaves end of March and now they are as you see in the photo.

Funny you ask me about the seed collecting yet, because this morning I collected lots of tiny seeds and potted them, but actually I am not sure if they are its own seeds or some wild thing grow through, but the stems looked very much like. So I cannot answer your question on how to germinate since it will be my first experience also.

Next to it, I had another plant, couldn't identified till now, had black seeds balls and now have white flowers on, today I was happy to see that they allready germinated after 70 days. Was a surprise for me:))
    1.JPG

2.JPG

70gün sonra.JPG

12. The Hollyberry Lady

Tugo:

The plant with the little black balls looks like 'blackberry lily'. The black balls are the seeds. Here is a picture of my young blackberry lily seedlings. Yours may not be the same thing, but the leaves sure look the same, and the black balls look identical to my seeds. This is how the seeds develop - on the branches, like yours in the picture.

Let me know what you think, Tugo...

Attached Files:

13. Liz

Vic I am still working on the camera other costs have come into play like my car breaking down. [LP gas/petrol switching mechanism] off road for a week then nearly a $1,000 with service. I am not in the outback but the green costal area where most of the Australian population live. At the moment it is beautiful and green but by summer it can turn very brown and dry. Also a lot of state forests around here.
    A pic that I got off a house for sale add. My property is just below the cream shed on the left centre with grey roof. The water in the back ground is a storage dam for the city. Much much lower now. Right in the distance is the 2nd bay the city is situated on from there to Tasmania then Antartica. This is the way the very cold weather can suddenly come. The 2nd photo is looking back up to the area from where the first photo was taken. It is in the paddock next to mine. They are ploughed fields of daffodils on the hill side. The 3rd is the local steam train doing it's tourist thing down below our slope in the forest coming across the trestle bridge

Liz

Attached Files:

14. Joey D

Joey D Active Member

Hey Liz,

Where does that train go? It looks similar to one I rode when I was 'down under'. Or maybe it was the other train we didn't ride...hmm. This is why, left to my own devices I wouldn't do all the touristy things and would just wander through the country gypsy style :)

J

15. tugo

tugo Active Member

Seems not so, dear HbL. Leaves are very soft and weeping. Also when I rub out the soft black coating of the seeds, seeds it self looks like pearl, hard but you can see some inside. Wish I had a good camera to get macro pics of the flowers.

16. Liz

Joey it is in the hills at the back of Melbourne
    Liz

17. The Hollyberry Lady

Tugo:

Don't forget that my plants are just young and short - the leaves will weep as they get longer and bigger. If they are not blackberry lilies, they are strikingly similar. The black balls are why the plant is called 'blackberry' because they are said to resemble little blackberries on the branch and be very ornamental, like yours.

Thanks for sharing Tugo, and please do let us know when you find out what they are...

18. tugo

tugo Active Member

19. The Hollyberry Lady

No problem, Tugo. Amazing that they are from the iris family. I shared some seeds with Vicarious, and hope he was able to get them to sprout. They can take awhile.

Oh, I am so excited Tugo! Today is the day that I sow the 'Dissectum weeping crimson queen' Japanese red maple seeds in soil and put them in the fridge! Most people might think 'so what', but to me, it is the 2nd stage of the germination process which is bringing me another step closer to enjoying these stunningly gorgeous trees! I cannot wait to see sprouts. You gave me 11 seeds!!!

20. The Hollyberry Lady

By the way...

I am told that the flowers on my 'blackberry lilies' are supposed to be bi-colored. I think orange and purple, or white but speckled with purple. The person who sent them to me told me they got them from a flower shop and was led to believe they were called 'toad lily' seeds, but when I googled them, they looked nothing like toad lily seeds at all.

I then realized after gazing at a few more pictures that they were in fact blackberry lily seeds. She did not believe me though when I tried to tell her, I don't think. I got my seeds from a trade from another forum, and they proved to be extremely viable. I am so thrilled to be growing them.

= )

21. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Just don't make it cry too much, HB.

22. The Hollyberry Lady

Am I missing something, ShearMe? I only ever make my plants smile.

P.S. I think I shared my blackberry lily seeds with you too, didn't I ShearMe? I am going to go take a shot of your Loquat seedlings. They are still quite small but you'll see they are growing...

23. The Hollyberry Lady

Ok, here are the loquat seedlings, the 2nd shot is where I covered the seeds over with soil so the roots don't heat up in the sun.

The third shot is a baby spider plant that someone from another forum sent me in the mail, from the States! It is growing like crazy. This variety is special and stays like a dwarf type with curly leaves. It is said to resemble a wig.

The fourth pic is my 'string of pearls' cuttings that I took from existing plants to make a new plant, now growing and thriving.

The 5th shot is my one of my Goji berry shrubs I just got through a mail order.

The last shot is my seed grown Maverick pink geranium that is just beginning to bloom for me...

Attached Files:

24. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

I want some of them pink one please lolol

How pretty!

25. The Hollyberry Lady

It just so happens that I have lots of the maverick pink type, so if you're serious, I could be persuaded to mail ya a few seeds!

: O

Typically though, geranium seeds should be sown back in February when the weather was still cool, and they usually take 3-4 months to bloom from seed.