Identification: Old Plant Finally Blooms!

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Zelda, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Zelda

Zelda Member Maple Society

I have a very old plant that used to belong to my mother. It has never bloomed, even when I was a little girl. A few months ago, I trimmed a few pieces that were too long and straggly. I put them in water and now they are blooming!

I need help identifying this plant. It is an ivy type plant, with dark green leaves that are wavy and have white spots as they mature.

Here are some pictures. Any help would be very welcome.

Attached Files:

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Hoya, most likely H. carnosa.

3. Zelda

Thank you so much for your quick reply! Very much appreciated.

4. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

Boy ive had mine planted for a couple of years now and it has not bloomed .. you cut yours stick it in water and you get blooms ...lol... how lucky ..
    i love seeing them in bloom when someone can finally get one to bloom .. they are sooo pretty ...

Marion

5. Zelda

You know, the original plant is beautiful and grows a lot every year, but no blooms!
    Try cutting yours and putting it in a window that gets the evening sun. It may work.

I'll post more pictures once the buds open.

6. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

could be hoya pubicalyx.

most hoya take years to bloom. they like to be rootbound before they do. they also need just the right light (which can be different for different varieties) as well as moisture levels (which, again, can be different for different varieties).

you need to leave the penducle's on after the blooms are done because the next set of blooms will grow right from the same spot.

i wouldn't cut anything...just allow it to grow as it will and it will eventually bloom.

i thought my krimson princess was growing penducles (finally, after almost 4 years). turns out it was just a couple new leaves...

7. Zelda

Thank you very much.

This is very useful information and exactly what I need since this is the first time the plant blooms.

I have it in water right now. Should I plant it in earth? It won't have nearly as much moisture then, so I'm not sure what I should do. I won't change its location. It's in my kitchen and gets only the evening sun for a little while.

Thanks again for all the information. It is greatly appreciated.

8. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

I have one like your carnosa, it's been called the "old fashion carnosa" the one grandma use to have:)
    I should try a cutting in water because mine hasn't ever bloomed either.

Looking forward to more pic!

9. joclyn

bluewing, it's not h. pubicalyx? the spots resemble it a bit...

zelda, right now, you want to leave the plant as is...no moving, no watering, no changes to temps...until the flowers have fully opened (any disturbances right now could cause the buds to blast). once the flowers have opened, yes! please post more pics :)

then, once they've died off, you can plant it in soil. something really well draining with a bit of moisture retention. i use a mix of orchid bark bits, peat, some regular potting soil and either perlite or aquarium soil. container should be small - to keep the roots a bit bound - so, depending on root ball size at the moment, a two inch or maybe a three inch pot should probably be more than enough - make sure there are drainage holes in it, also.

10. Bluewing

Joclyn,

The carnosa has are more randomly spotted, but sometimes the spots can be concentrated in certain area's,, dark green in color, shorter and wider compared to pubicalyx.

H. pubicalyx is more heavily ''splashed" with silver, leaves are thinner and longer.

H. carnosa & H. pubicalyx

Attached Files:

11. Zelda

Thank you so much for your input.

I believe you're right about it being H. Carnosa. I've looked at your pictures and at images on the Web and they match my plant perfectly.

I need to know exactly how to care for my plant now that it is blooming. I've put the big original the pieces came from together since the environment is obviously good for blooming.

But I'm worried about transplanting the pieces, which are now in water, into earth. Should I leave them as they are?

Any help in this regard would be welcome.

12. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

Like it was mentioned i would get it into some dirt but wait untill after the blooms are done .. when plants root in water .. there roots seem to be more softer and smaller then if they are rooted in dirt .. so it is not good to leave them permantly in water ..
    wait untill the blooms are done then get it in some dirt and put it in the same location ..

good luck

Marion

13. Zelda

Hi!

If you had mentioned putting the plant in dirt before and I missed it, I'm sorry. And thanks so much for replying again.

The pieces that are blooming have been in water for a while and have a lot of roots, so as soon as the blooms are done, I'll transfer it to some good potting soil and put it back where it is now.

Thanks again! You've been a big help!

14. joclyn

15. Zelda

This is excellent information. Especially about not disturbing the plant. I'm so tempted to hang it somewhere so I can show off its beauty, but I'll hold back.

I have some good potting soil that has peat in it (produced locally), so I'll try to follow your recipe and come up with something really good for the plant. I' glad you're telling me that it likes to be a little bit root bound. Excellent point for the size of the pot.

Thanks very much. This is getting to be so much fun! I'm really glad I found this forum because everyone seems so knowledgeable. I love plants and am good with them, but I know so little ...

16. Bluewing

The cuttings for this hoya shouldn't be a problem transplanting to soil as long as the medium is fast draining and does not stay soggy.
    For future reference, if you ever want more cuttings for say a Friend, or to start another plant, they will root rather quickly in a small pot of soil....

17. Buddleia

Buddleia Active Member 10 Years

This brings back memories LOL
    These used to be so popular back in the 70's. I remember having several different types and it was so special when they bloomed, the fragrance was wonderful.

18. bedixon

bedixon Active Member

memories for me too, I had a hoya from my mom's years ago (70's) and had to give it up when I moved. some called it the "waxflower" plant. I took a cutting of another a year or so ago, and waited months before it did anything... and then it just took off. Right now there's about 18 inches of new growth headed out into open air, looking for something to climb on... I'm keeping it in a smallish pot with hopes it'll bloom soon, my old one didn't flower unless it was potbound.
    I have another cutting from another hoya plant, a really tiny one, and wonder what it's called... it has pointier leaves that are only an inch or so long. It has already bloomed, very similar flower to the hoya carnosa but miniscule in size. It too took so long to get started, and is only now showing signs of growth, after several months.
    Would anyone know what this one is called? I've taken a picture with cherries for a size reference... it's a tiny pot.

Attached Files:

19. Zelda

About your tiny hoya. Years ago, I had one similar to this started from a cutting. It was called "hoya bella." I'n not sure it's the same one and would like other people who are more knowledgable to comment, but it's a start.

I had the plant in a hanging pot in my kitchen window (indirect sunlight) and it bloomed every spring/summer. White flowers with pink centers. It seems there was always an odd number of flowers rather than an even number.

Hope this helps.

20. Bluewing

Zelda is correct on the id of your ''hoya bella" I have a very small one I'm nursing along.

Buddleia, I wonder why mine never have a scent???:( I was always told they smelled great, so I was looking forward to the flowers opening, but it turned out to be a little disapointing.

There are variegated versions as well if you didn't already know:) of the
    hoya compacta (hindu rope) I just purchased the one on the "right" a couple of weeks ago at Lowe's, (reverse variegation) it was the only one they had which I grabbed up quick, lol.

Attached Files:

21. bedixon

bedixon Active Member

many thanks to Zelda and Bluewing, it's nice to know who I've got growing... and I've become really fond of h. bella - it was a cutting from someone I think of whenever I look at it, which is a nice little bonus when you collect plants that way!

22. joclyn

very nice bella and that reverse variegeted compacta is fabulous!

23. Bluewing

Thanks Joclyn:)

I don't know if I will be able to find another one or not, but I'll keep an eye out for ya on the "reverse variegated compacta" if you like. It wouldn't cost you all that much either, only around $6 for a 4""pot. Not bad huh???

24. Zelda

My hoya has finally bloomed. As promised, here are some pictures. I am delighted!

Zelda

Attached Files:

25. Bluewing

Very, very nice Zelda! Thanks for posting the pictures!