Post a peek of yourself here...

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by The Hollyberry Lady, Jun 10, 2009.

1. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

Hahahahaha - that's hilarious LPN!

: O

2. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

As Lorax pointed out much earlier in this thread, personal photos don't really tell the tale. But for interest sake it will have to do. I doubt anyone is willing to divulge much more than that, but it's obvious most gardeners have more than that as a hobby or interest. Not sayin' I have a wrestling career in mind ;)

Cheers, LPN (Barrie)

3. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Well, I wasn't saying you are Hulk Hogan, I just wanted to point out you look like him. ;o

Yes, being a gardener isn't the only hobby one can have. You'd have too much free time and get bored when there's nothing growing in winter, and the same goes for when you're waiting for things to grow during summer! I like video games.

4. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

I have no winter, and I garden year round, but my hobby is white-water kayaking.

5. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

You lucky Equatorian. ;p

6. lorax

Yes, well, as I've said before, I was a Northern Albertan first. I have a complete understanding of winter and its many ills, and thus have an enthusiastic appreciation of a place with no snow. I'm just happy not to have frozen toes in January, truth be told.

7. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Yes I understand, the cold is a bit uncomfortable. However, me being from German ancestry, I like the cold. Walking outside and drawing in a great breath of dense oxygen-filled air and then blowing out a cloud moist freezing crystals just feels great.

But I'm weird too, soo....

8. lorax

Yes, -50 C is a bit uncomfy.

9. vicarious1

vicarious1 Active Member 10 Years

Burnaby North on a slope facing south & a view :-)
    stunning looooove the contrast..now I will be looking out for some small dark dark rocks to court my snow white cactees also...

10. vicarious1

I love that trailer too enough for 2 persons .. what's the make and +- cost of such a thing . Reminds me of race horse trailers .. at least its not one of these jumbo home away from home RV thing. Can it be pulled by a normal say Honda Accord ? That and a tent for the day one is set for anything ...
    Here are some pics of our favorite park near Vancouver GOLDEN EAR where we join our friends and THEIR RV as often as invited:-)
    http://visualsenses.smugmug.com/gallery/7410385_okh9C#477477258_gkNFr
    so it would be cool one day to rock up in something like your blue trailer and I LOVE the color...looks rich and not the usual dumb founded white with squiggles and sports wear pattern.

11. vicarious1

Dear Lorax.
    Waaaaaaaaouh WHO can compete with your EXOTIC location. When you write you not sound South American :-) are you originated somewhere else if I may ask ?
    Believe it or not my granny went to Cusco with 3 other lady friends at age 80+ came back and told me. The best thing on a trip like this is ... to be short like me 1.m52 as there is always a gentlemen ready to carry your suitcase she managed even to go to TiTiKaKa lake.. destinations I have not managed yet. She left on that trip WITHOUT telling the family as she knew we would have not recommended it to here. So one day we found the note in her apartment after my mother not hearing from her 3 days and no phone answer..:-) Cheeky granny:-)
    I did train and follow up with her well she went to Tibet Nepal Indonesia etc with me till age 95 :-)..I lived in China and Hong Kong 20 years before my 10 in South Africa :-) so travelling is a family hobby. Thanks for the GREAT photographs I would looove to visit ...will google for more.

You pics are stunning ! Few or more who cares its PICTURES we do not want to miss. I will get back to you later about your PROJECT .

12. vicarious1

THAT IS SO FUNNY:-) I thought this was really YOU with tha Hulk man:-).. For a second you had me there hahaah Bravo Humor is always welcome.

13. The Hollyberry Lady

My hobby is cycling, and writing letters to people in my family, and the little girl in Africa that I've been sponsoring for 2 years. Also enjoy cooking.

: )

P.S. That park looks terrific, Vicarious!

14. The Hollyberry Lady

Just came in from outside - here's a full shot of my recently beginning to bloom, lily garden. Many different colors of lilies will soon appear in this garden that I just cut out last Fall, but the variety that is blooming now, are called 'Lollipop'. I have an assortment of asiatic and oriental lilies.

The last shot is my little 'Musa Basjoo' banana pup, that I just planted outside last night. No words can describe how excited I am to see this thing in action. I cannot believe how it has taken hold in less than 24 hours! It already looks like it's growing.

I have plunked my banana pup right down in the middle of my lily garden! My logic is that it may provide some much needed shade to the lilies, this year, and years to come. Plus, this is a spot where I have a full view of it from my living room window! Yippeeeeeeee!

I intend on 'de-pupping' each Spring and transplanting the new little banana plants to other areas around the apartment building I live in. I am the gardener here, and have full permission to do whatever I want, where I want!

Attached Files:

15. lorax

Vic, I'm Canadian to begin with. English is my first language, with French, Latin, Cree, Spanish, Portuguese and Italian coming after it. However, you all are my connection to English conversation! If I use odd constructions, it's because I'm thinking them in Spanish and translating them back out to English....

I'll take a boo through my more recent shots... Ah yes, here we go.

1. Alto Chocó, in the northern province of Imbabura. This place is one of two remaining large forests that are the habitat of the Andean Spectacled Bear, which primarily consumes the native bamboo. A friend has a large ecopreserve here.
    2. A short family of Black Vultures, on a dead tree above Mera, Pastaza province. This is the second of the two forests where the bears live.
    3. Sunset over the Rio Puyo, some 1500 meters of elevation below the shot in Mera, but only about half an hour distant.
    4. The Te Zulay plantation, where 95% of the black tea that Ecuador and Colombia consume is grown.
    5-6. The moon over Vilcabamba, in the southern province of Loja. The moon rises in different positions every day, is visible in the afternoon in June and July, and also rotates so that about half the time it's upside down. In Loja on a clear night, you can lay in the grass and watch the entire milky way go by.
    7. The Rio Pastaza, a major Amazon tributary. In the province of the same name, it's known for class III-IV rapids, and further downstream it becomes sleepier and safer to navegate.
    8. A moonrise over Quito's Guapulo valley, looking out into Tumbaco.
    9. A small waterfall in the Rio Blanco area, on the border between the provinces of Tungurahua and Pastaza.
    10. A larger waterfall at Merazonia, Pastaza.
    11. The paramo in the Kiss the Sky / Papallacta pass, at 4,000 meters above sea level.

Attached Files:

16. The Hollyberry Lady

You never seize to amaze me, Lorax! Wow! Those shots are just fabulous.

I am requesting for you to post your stunningly gorgeous banana plant with all the awesome bananas dangling from it. OMG - I nearly fainted when I saw it! Holy @!$*!!!

When and if you feel like posting them, I am sure everyone here will feel the same way. Hats off you, Beth. Your pictures are gold.

17. Joey D

Joey D Active Member

Wow Sherry! I wish my apartment complex gave me free reign :P

Not much of a chance with that though, I live in Irvine Company housing.

I agree about your pics Lorax! Amazing :D

So here are my contributions:
    1. Me in a park nearby
    2. Where I keep my elves ;-)
    3. A picture of some sunflowers in the foothills of the San Bernardino Mountains near where I grew up

So fun seeing people that look nothing like what you think they look like!
    (i.e. Lorax looks nothing like the Lorax!)

Attached Files:

18. The Hollyberry Lady

I know, Joey, I hear ya! I hope more people will join in and not be chicken to show themselves. It is nice to see people and notice that they're not at all like you imagined - I agree.

You look great, Joey. So awesome to see you, after all our chats, emails and trades! I appreciate you joining in the fellowship.

That sunflower pic is way cool.

Yes, it is nice to have free reign here with the gardening - if they would only stop renting to questionable characters! I had to delay and almost cancel entirely, my outdoor gardening this season, while they were in the middle of evicting certain parties on out of here. They were stealing and destroying things - I had to bring potted plants inside that had been in their spots for years.

Although they are now gone, I am reluctant to do the full scale gardening I was going to do, because I need to see who they are renting to next! I am still reeling from the last tenants, who were fall down drunks - 24/7.

I live in a very small building with only 12 units total. My mother just moved into my building about 9 months ago. So nice to have her here - we live in separate units but she is on the same floor even!

If it wasn't raining right now I'd go take a shot of the building.

19. vicarious1

Lovely pics. MAY I advise or comment when one puts stone around or anywhere spend a tiny winy energy and dig 1inch down and sink them into the ground they will look much more real than lying in top of the soil..:-) try it you will see the difference and try to make a pattern with roc shaped that are ROUND GEOMETRIC etc ...mixing them looks a bit odd ...Just my designer pennie's worth :-) haha..Try some shapes that are a lill' more creative diamonds, half circles , triangles ...split shapes ( easy to walk in middle ) two 1/2 circles with rock path in the middle etc if you send me your building layout I make you some idea sketch at no cost :-)..if you want some ideas..
    Planted all my swiss chard green , red and multi color and lettuces I though I have shrunk to ground level hight surprise I still could stand up haha....now it time to GROW GROW we want some sweet stuff also.. enherited nearly 20 Terra Cotta pots from friend closing a flower shop snif sad no business they are going back to Montreal. after one year in Vancouver.. so not only I say its difficult to make friends and spending is more than frugal even in the BEST addresses...with stunning flower shop and real flower ART.
    What can we do the 9.00 - 19.00 flower bouquets at the supermarkets seem to the norm in this town...

20. The Hollyberry Lady

No, I did not want the rocks sunken down into the soil - wanted to see them fully and completely. I deliberately didn't want them sunk down - nothing to do with spending the energy.

The rocks were collected from the beaches of Nova Scotia, and are quite special. Everyone has their own idea of how they want things to look, I guess. I love it that the rocks are all different because it gives it character.

Besides, in my opinion, what's in the garden, is far more important then what's enclosing it. Certainly, if this were my own home though, I would have everything just perfect. For now however, this will do.

People notice the lilies, not the rocks anyway.

21. lorax

Joey - That's almost purposely why I use the Lorax as an icon. People here generally assume I'm a guy, which tickles me.

HollyBerry - Ask and Ye Shall Receive! The first one is the Oritos, and the second the Dwarf Cavendish.

Vic - don't get me started on Stupidmarket flower bouquets! I have huge patches of Cartuchos (Zantedeschia) and Lilies and Canna for my table, just to avoid having to look at those sad little things. Unfortunately here, the best bouquets at the florists' are all funeral arrangements. On the upside, two dozen grade-A roses are normally $1.50.

Attached Files:

22. The Hollyberry Lady

I need to get more kleenex to wipe the drool from my mouth because those pictures are absolutely spectacular, Lorax! A zillion wow's! Holy !$*%.

I am in utter awe and amazement, every time I see those peeks. That is just way too cool.

Hats off to you, Beth.

23. Joey D

Joey D Active Member

24. The Hollyberry Lady

Great info, Joey - thanks for sharing. I don't even have any kleenex - was actually just teasin' but have used it in the past, so it's surprising to find out all that.

When it comes to the environment though, I want to be a part of the solution, and not part of the problem. Kleenex is obviously no good.

: (

25. Nath

Nath Active Member

Great fotos Lorax!! you're making me homesick, Liked the bananas too, we have found a shop here in Nottingham that sells Mexican Papaya and Platano macho, I had platano macho frito con chorizo, cilantro y limon con salsa ranchera y tortillas as we brought back some maseca from Spain. Almost like being back at home, but your fotos reminded me of the Cordillero outside Mexico City on the autopista del Sol that goes from Mexico Df to Acapulco, there is a whole series of expansion bridges and tunnels either connecting one mountain to the next or going under the picos. The Bananas remind me of wandering around the Yucatan jungle in little Mayan villages where bananas and papayas grow outside Mayan Palapas, a simple but great life. All the food you could want at your own front door and plenty of boar in the forest for when you have a yearning for bacon. Not that I'm a big meat eater myself but I do like Tocino y Chorizo to go with my black beans and epazote.