Propagating Eucalyptus

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by filfilksq, Apr 2, 2008.

1. filfilksq

filfilksq Member

Do you happen to know how difficult/easy it is to propogate eucalypts? Can you do it from cuttings?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2008
  2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Re: Need identification help..

Eucalypts I've always purchased as seedlings from local nurseries. The best way to get them going is by seed; I know that once they're about a foot tall (6 months to 1 year old, depending on conditions) nothing short of pulling them out of the ground will kill them. Seed's pretty easy too, so long as it's fresh it germinates readily.

But if you really want a rundown on gum trees, send a PM to Liz, one of our resident Aussises. She knows WAAAY more than I do, as she's from the original range of the Eucalypts. (I'm somewhere that they've been introduced.)

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

(moved to its own thread)

4. gadjett

gadjett Member

Re: Need identification help..

where do the seeds hide on the eucalyptus tree? I have one and have a friend who wants one - can't find any around here in a nursury or plant shop (like Home Depot) Am in E. Texas. Was hoping to propogate mine for her, but if I can find seeds..... If I do, should I start indoors or outside?

5. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Seed pods from Eucalyptus look like this. They're very easy to germinate if you use a scoop of the same soil where the tree is growing, and give them a bit of water. You don't get all that cold, so you can start outside, but if you want to give the plant away I'd do that in pots.

However, if you've got a mature Eucalyptus, why not just root a cutting?

6. gadjett

gadjett Member

So you can root a cutting? Any special instructions to do that?