tangerine tree in southern california

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by cdinh, Jun 10, 2009.

1. cdinh

cdinh Member

Hi all,
    We just recently moved in to our new house last August. I don't think our tangerine tree had any fruits at that time. But by February of this year, the tree was filled with really beautiful sweet tangerines.

We did not do anything to the tree. We hardly water it. We only water it when we see the soil is really dry. So far this is June and we only see some very little flowers. Hardly any flowers at all. Is that mean we won't have much fruit this coming year. If it is true, is there anything we can do to salvage our tree???

Sorry we are very new at this. Any helps would greatly be appreciated. Thanks,

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

What you're experiencing may be normal as many mandarin varieties are alternate bearing. If this is the case then a light crop this year is expected after last year's heavy production.

3. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

see below

4. cdinh

cdinh Member

Thank you for your reply. Do you know how often we need to water it? Should watering be enough or do we need to use fertilizer?? I heard pruning will stop fruit production. Is this true??? if yes, what do we do if it grows out out proportion???

Thank you for all the replies.

5. Millet

JK could very well be correct. However, not watering a citrus tree, and not fertilizing a citrus tree is certainly not the way to treat the tree if you desire a healthy, productive fruit tree. An older tangerine tree, in California, such as yours, should be fertilized three times a season, distributed evenly between the first of March until the end of August. You can apply either a fertilizer with a formula of 8-8-8 at the rate of 5-lbs. per each application, or a 10-10-10 formulated fertilizer at the rate of 4-lbs. per each application. Spread the fertilizer evenly starting 1-foot from the tree's trunk, in a circle around the tree out to the drip line. Never apply fertilizer directly against a citrus tree's trunk. If the tree become too large you can prune it, however, your tree will skip a full year of fruit production by doing so. If you absolutely need to prone the tree, prune one side of the tree one year, and the other side the following year. This is how commercial citrus groves prune. In this manner they still receive some fruit from the one half of the tree every year that was not pruned.. .- Millet (1319-)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
  6. cdinh

cdinh Member

Thank you Millet. What is 8-8-8 or 10-10-10 mean??? Is that the name of the fertilizer? Can I get them at any nurseries??? It is June now, can I still use your recommendation and fertilize them until October?

I am really into organic stuffs. Do fertilizers carry any bad chemicals??

Sorry for the basic questions but I am new at this. Thank you,

7. Millet

Yes, 8-8-8 and 10-10-10 are types of chemical fertilizers. 8-8-8 is the formula, standing for 8 percent nitrogen, 8 percent phosphorus, and 8 percent potassium. There is nothing in the two fertilizer formulations that contains harmful ingredients, but of course they are not organic fertilizers. You can certainly purchase organic fertilizers to nourish your tree if you wish. However, citrus are very heavy feeders, requiring a lot of nutrition. Citrus trees that are fertilized organically, will always produce a smaller crop of fruit, but organic fertilizers are better than apply nothing at all. If you use an organic fertilizer you will need to apply a higher amount of fertilizer with each application, because organic fertilizers are a lot weaker than are traditional fertilizers. You have missed the time for the first application. Apply one application at this time, one application in the latter part of August. Do not apply any fertilizer during the Fall and winter months. Good luck with your tree for years to come. - Millet (1,319-)