When Lady Slipper finishes blooming

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by gallina, Jun 5, 2009.

1. gallina

gallina Active Member

I noticed that the flower started to wilt. I bought it in early April, and it was already blooming. Is it about time to wilt? Oterwise, it looks healthy.
    Anyway, what am I supposed to do with the stem once the slipper finishes blooming?

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Clip it off when it gets yellow-brown and shriveled-up-looking.
    What variety is it, if you know?
    And yes, I'd say that it's probably just the normal life span of the blossom---plus it was already blooming when you got it, so it could have been in flower for a while.
    Post a photo if you can! I love slipper orchids. I was out at my local nursery this aft. and could not resist visiting their tropical room...where I have found many an orchid now living with me! Saw a GORGEOUS phragmipedium...arrgh! Wish I had a wad o'cash. Beautiful!

3. gallina

gallina Active Member

Hi togata57.

Thank you for your advise. Should I cut off the whole stem or just the wilted blossom?
    It is Maudiae variety. I bought it at the Toronto Orchid show, in early april. It comes from Hamilton Greenhouse.

Attached Files:

4. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Lovely!
    I have a Maudiae (green and white) that I got several years ago at the aforementioned nursery. It is a great plant---healthy and a good bloomer. Plus, I found it on the markdown rack for $10! ---Another thing I like about slipper orchids is their pretty patterned foliage. Some fabric designer should print cloth that looks like it. Wallpaper would be good too.

With paphs I clip the whole stem, leaving about an inch or 2 just so I don't accidentally nick a leaf. One stem=one flower, so when the flower is done so is the stem. With my phalaenopsis orchids I clip the flowers as they wither and leave the stem until it's obviously done---sometimes the plant will decide send out a new stalk from the old!

Paphs can do with pretty low light: if your photo shows it in its usual home, make sure that the light isn't too direct.

Good health to both you and your orchid!

5. gallina

gallina Active Member

Thanks again!

6. arcticshaun

arcticshaun Active Member

As an added hint, I generally move my Paphiopedilum blooms to shadier conditions to prolong the life of the bloom. I have had them last 14 weeks. Hopefully your plant will produce multiple growths as a clump forms the floral display with multiple flowers is spectacular. Be careful Ladyslippers are the most addictive of all orchids :)

Shaun

7. gallina

gallina Active Member

Like what? Mine is on the east window. The sun is only in the early morning.
    Once the blooming period is over, should I reduce watering?

8. arcticshaun

arcticshaun Active Member

East window should be perfect. I don't usually adjust my watering regimen for Maud-type Paphs other than by season (less in winter when sun is weaker, more in summer to reduce temp stress). I keep these type of Paphiopedilums slightly damp and never soggy.

Shaun

9. gallina

gallina Active Member

Thank you Shaun.