Bamboo root structure question

Discussion in 'Poaceae' started by Skeezix, May 7, 2009.

1. Skeezix

Skeezix Member

hello,
    Former posts pretty much answer what needs to be known regarding clumping, running, rhizome spreading roots etc. but.

I have searched for some time now and have been unable to find any reference to how deep or wide spreading the various plants feeder roots penetrate in respect to surface drains. I am particularly interested in how far one needs to stay from a house and surface drains with Thamnocalamus Crassinodus. I have a miniature dry pond arrangement and would like to plant one next to the house beside the "pond" Hence the drain question.
    I would hesitate if I knew they were willow like in their growth.

Unfortunately I lost my first three larger potted Bamboos to last winter's cold spell, not having the sense to bring them in under shelter. I feel mulched, in the ground, near a wall, will afford a happier home for one.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience.
    Skeezix
    (Victoria BC)

2. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

3. Skeezix

Skeezix Member

Thank you for the link K Baron, interesting, but I still would like to find a reply to my question pertaining to:

I am particularly interested in how far one needs to stay from a house and surface drains with Thamnocalamus Crassinodus.

I have a miniature dry pond arrangement and would like to plant one next to the house beside the "pond" Hence the drain question.
    I would hesitate if I knew they were willow like in their root growth.

TIA for an answer.

Skeezix

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  4. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

I didnt answer that question, because even if your Thamno.. is clumping, one would need a concrete perimeter to safely contain rogue rhizomes/roots... which is not great for the amopunt of moisture required, and it been located against your foundation... these reasons are valid and you need to speak to a landscaper who may have had a more practical application.

Personally, I would risk planting it as desired, but I also would design a containment field.

I hope this is food for thought, and partially answers your query.

5. Skeezix

Skeezix Member

Thanks again K Baron,

I have been giving your reply some thoughts.

I happen to have a blue plastic barrel approx 40 gallon size, that has been cut in two length wise. I have been thinking of cutting one end off and sinking it down to grade level with the open end away from the wall. The split/barrel will be filled with rich compost and the Thamno placed close to the closed end. I anticipate that as the roots expands and find the perimeter of the container they will naturally seek the path of least resistance and head for the open end. I water most of my plantings with a drip watering system and will arrange it so the plant is encouraged to grow away from the wall as it expands..
    The depth of the soil in the barrel would be approx 12". Hopefully with some extra mulching in the fall it would withstand our normal west coast winter.

Any comments appreciated,
    Skeezix

6. kaspian

kaspian Active Member 10 Years

Wait. I think we're worrying too much.

Thamnocalamus is a clumping (not a running) bamboo. Its roots will behave like those of any clumping grass. That is, they will make a dense underground mass directly beneath the visible part of the plant, spreading only modestly laterally -- unless they are absolutely starved for water and nutrients, in which case they might roam a bit farther. But they will not behave like willow roots. And the plant itself does not need containment.

Growing bamboo in containers -- unless you bring them indoors for the winter -- is probably more trouble than it's worth, in my opinion. Just plop this thing in the ground. If its hardiness is in doubt, you can protect it simply by bending the shoots to the ground in, say, November, and weighting them with evergreen boughs. They'll straighten up again when you uncover them next spring.

7. Skeezix

Skeezix Member

Thank you kaspian.

Your reply was what I was hoping to hear, re the roaming of feeder roots. Grass like shallow surface roots will be no issue for me here as the soil depth over that drain tiles is about 18" below the surface. If I can anticipate a root depth of a foot or so this site will be fine.

The tip re frost protection sounds like a great suggestion for me here.

Thanks to you both for helping me out here.

Skeezix