Sprouts in fall-Help please

Discussion in 'Maples' started by cafernan, May 2, 2009.

1. cafernan

cafernan Active Member

Hi everyone
    As you already know, I´m in the challenge of growing maples from seeds in Mar del Plata, Argentina.

The main issue is the all the seeds that I get, comes from the nice people of this forum, therefore they come in a different season. Once I put seeds in the fridge they start to sprouts in different time.

I have some 5" tall seedlings this year and now I have some new sprouts in winter´s doors.

This fall has been quite warm. In fact, we have summer days temperatures and cold nights in a range from 6ºC to 26ºC.

My question is, what do I have to do with this recent sprouts?
    Last year, I grow the seedlings indoors, with 2700º K light and 15ºC average but the outcomes was not as good as the outdoor growing I have now.

Thank you so much for the constant help and encouragment you give me.

Sincerely, Carlos

2. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Carlos,

Place them outside. You are in zone 9 or 10, so they will have time to harden enough for your winter. How many days with frost in your garden?

Gomero

3. cafernan

cafernan Active Member

Less than 30 in hard winters. Could be even less

Thank you!

4. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Could you place them outside on a porch? This might help condition them to the climate but at the same time afford a little protection from the worst of it...

5. cafernan

cafernan Active Member

Yes I can. But, this new gentle stems, are they going to survive the winter if don´t have enough time to harden?

6. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

That's why I'm suggesting the porch. Keep them from freezing solid, but let them be exposed to the colder temps and short days. Hopefully this will put them to sleep and get them on your timetable instead of the northern hemisphere timetable.

7. katsura

katsura Active Member 10 Years

Carlos, we all empathize. I had some seeds sprout in the fridge this winter as I cold stratified and
    I decided to leave them in the fridge. When I took them out they went about their business and
    started where they left off and they were fine. I know it is bothersome to keep them in the fridge
    when they look ready to take off but they should stay dormant. I would try that with some of them
    so you can get the seeds on your seasonal cycle. Good luck.