Kensington-Cedar Cottage

Discussion in 'VCBF Neighbourhood Blogs' started by wcutler, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Laura Blumenthal

Laura Blumenthal Well-Known Member 10 Years

Re: Kensington/Cedar Cottage

Ah - a previously undocumented Somei-Yoshino, I think, at 32nd and Windsor - a very young street tree I never noticed before:
    [edited 20090713 by wcutler: We've decided to go with Yama-zakura for these. We'll be pretty safe with that id, since it allows for a lot of variation. [edited again 2012jan05 by wcutler]: Now we're calling them Sargentii hybrids.We have a Unknown sargentii hybrid, was Syodoi - mid-season, single-white, double-serrated in the Cultivar IDs forum - see posting #4 for a description.]

20090410_4786Windsor_SomeiYoshino_Blumenthal_740.jpg 20090410_4786Windsor_SomeiYoshino_Blumenthal_745.jpg

... and the previously documented block of young Akebonos on 30th Avenue between Windsor and St. Catherine are now in bloom (or were when I took these photos on April 10th):

20090410_30Windsor_Akebono_Blumenthal_747.jpg 20090410_30Windsor_Akebono_Blumenthal_748.jpg

P.S. Anne, I think your "Sargents" are Somei-Yoshinos - it's too early for Sargents.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2012
  2. Anne Eng

Anne Eng Generous Contributor 10 Years

The Sargents on the east side of Windsor, north of E.33 were posted last year on April 16, 2008, page 3 of this thread. Here are photos taken this year on April 11, 2009. You can see the reddish brown of the emergent leaves. The bud scales are also sticky. They are blooming at the same time as the Sargents on E. 13 and Clark, and the ones on E. 26 and St. Catherines, which are dropping blossoms.

[edited 20090713 by wcutler: We've decided to go with Yama-zakura for these. We'll be pretty safe with that id, since it allows for a lot of variation. [edited again 2012jan05 by wcutler]: Now we're calling them Sargentii hybrids.We have a Unknown sargentii hybrid, was Syodoi - mid-season, single-white, double-serrated in the Cultivar IDs forum - see posting #4 for a description.]

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2012
  3. Laura Blumenthal

Ah - I guess I missed that - thanks, Anne, and sorry for doubting your judgment - apparently the time of emergence for the Sargents is very different from what the booklet says.

4. eteinindia

eteinindia Well-Known Member VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Anne, are you confident about the cherry you posted is Sargent? Sargent cherry in Douglas’s new handbook is pink flower and blooms later. I have seen the tree in Queen Elizabeth Park. It’s different from your tree.
    Laura, do you think what you post is Somei-Yoshino?
    I haven’t seen both of the trees, so I can’t identify them. But they look like what I called “Pandora” on 50th near Marine Cr.(Kerrisdale) All of them have reddish brown leaves together with white flowers.( As I saw last year, flowers will change into more pinky colors later.)
    I didn’t know “Pandora” at first last year. But Douglas told me that 3 ugly shaped trees on 50th were Pandoras, so I thought they were Pandoras. I saw same tree in many places. But when I saw the pictures of Pandora in new handbook, I thought I might be wrong.
    Also Wendy posted the trees on Arbutus near 51st (Kerrisdale) as “might-be-Pandora”. I went to check, but they were totally different from the ones on 50th. They are very beautiful pink tree without leaves and abundant flowers. Also they are very healthy looking. (One of the healthiest looking Ornamental cherries in Vancouver!!) Only common thing is they are very upright tree.
    There are threads related to Pandora in Cultivar Identification Blog. But I haven't read all yet.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2009
  5. Laura Blumenthal

I really don't know, Mariko - I checked the post about telling the difference between different similar varieties, and now I'm even more confused. Maybe I need to do a bit more homework. One thing I'm going to do later today if I remember is take a blossom the known Akebono and one from this mystery tree and put them in the same photo so we can compare. But right now I need to get ready for the Cherry Tree walk - see you there?

Laura 3:)

6. Anne Eng

The Sargent Cherry in our 2009 Ornamental Cherries Guide is the old-timer in Queen Elizabeth Park. It looks like it's growing on its own trunk. I've been trying to figure out a way to sneak up and get a twig for examination. It doesn't look like any of the trees posted here; these have all been grafted, and pretty ugly some of these graftees are too, not at all tall and graceful as THE tree in QE.

The stickiness of the bud scales and young sprouts is a characteristic of Prunus sargentii (Kuitert, p. 178). The buds from the trees on Windsor, E. 13 and E.26 were all quite sticky. The blossoms are also a paler pink than the 2009 booklet. However, the Sargent flower on page 20 of the 2008 booklet is a pale pink.

The flowers are in umbels of 2 and 3, therefore not Somei-Yoshino. There are no bulges at the calyx ends, therefore not Pandora.

The broad, rounded crown of the tree can be best seen in the photo of one of the grafted trees on E. 13. The shot of a blossom and leaf buds from the tree on St. Catherines is similar to that on page 20 of the 2008 booklet. You can see the 2 and 3 flower umbels, and the red-brown leaf emerging on the twig from Windsor.

[edited 20090713 by wcutler: Regarding this and the previous two posts, in discussions with Douglas Justice, we've decided to go with Yama-zakura for these. We'll be pretty safe with that id, since it allows for a lot of variation. We have a Yama-zakura thread in the Cultivar IDs forum - see posting #4 for a description.]

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2009
  7. Laura Blumenthal

Pendulas! One dark pink one documented last year, behind a private house at the southwest corner of 29th Avenue and Elgin Street:

20090412_29Elgin_Pendula_Blumenthal_753.jpg 20090412_29Elgin_Pendula_Blumenthal_754.jpg

... and a white one, which may not have been noticed before, in front of a private house at the southwest corner of 29th Avenue and Inverness Street:

20090412_29Inverness_Pendula_Blumenthal_755.jpg 20090412_29Inverness_Pendula_Blumenthal_756.jpg

Laura 3:)

8. Laura Blumenthal

Here are some more pictures of the tree we've been discussing, which is at 4786 Windsor Street, just north of where 32nd would be if it went through at this point.

20090413_4786Windsor_Sargent?_Blumenthal_834.jpg 20090413_4786Windsor_Sargent?_Blumenthal_835.jpg

Anne is right that the stems are slightly sticky to the touch, but they are not hairy. Could they be Oshimas? They are definitely white, which the Sargents are not described as being.

[edited 20090713 by wcutler: We've decided to go with Yama-zakura for the ones described above. We'll be pretty safe with that id, since it allows for a lot of variation. We have a Yama-zakura thread in the Cultivar IDs forum - see posting #4 for a description. I have seen white Sargent blossoms though].

And here is a comparison of this blossom with an Akebono blossom from one of the trees on 30th Avenue between Windsor and St. Catherine, which have certainly come into their own this year.

20090413_4786Windsor_Sargent?_Blumenthal_831.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2009
  9. Anne Eng

Oshimas have umbels of 4 to 5 flowers. The Windsor tree, as in your last photo has umbels of 2 and 3.

10. Anne Eng

The two Yoshinos in Brewer's Park, in bloom on the west side of Victoria at E26, on April 13, 2009.

Attached Files:

11. Anne Eng

The Pendula with white-flowers on E.29 and Inverness that Laura posted earlier is probably the hybrid Snofozam, Snow Fountains.

Attached Files:

12. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

Re: P.serrulata var.spontanea - Single pinky white, early mid-season, round shape

For sure, this is not P. sargentii. I can certainly understand why it's a favourite. These are beautiful trees. Unfortunately, I need a bit more time to work it out. It would be nice if I could see some fully expanded leaves.

13. lishirley

lishirley Member

East 19th Ave. Hull to Nanaimo Street. Four blocks of Akebono!
    I wish they are planted on both sides of the street instead of one side only, but they still look stunning.
    Time: April 16th, 2009 at around 6:30pm
    Blossom %: 100%

Attached Files:

14. Joseph Lin

Joseph Lin Active Member 10 Years

On April 16 reported by Arthur Ching,

Accolade bloomed on Lanark St. from East 21~22 Ave.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2011
  15. Joseph Lin

Yae Beni-shidare and Pendula bloomed beautifully on East 35 Ave. Culloden to Knight St.

Attached Files:

16. Joseph Lin

Sargent bloomed at East 13 Ave. at Clark St.
    [edited by wcutler 20090417:] We're re-identifying these trees, but we don't know what they are yet. Douglas Justice assures us they are beautiful but not Sargents.
    [edited 20090713 by wcutler: We've decided to go with Yama-zakura for these. We'll be pretty safe with that id, since it allows for a lot of variation. We have a Yama-zakura thread in the Cultivar IDs forum - see posting #4 for a description.]
    [edited 20110727 by wcutler]: well, now we think they're 'Syodoi' hybrids.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2011
  17. Joseph Lin

Akebonos bloomed on East 19 Ave south side from Victoria to Garden St.

Attached Files:

18. Joseph Lin

Somei-yoshino bloomed at Fleming at East 22 Ave. (off Knight St.)

Attached Files:

19. Joseph Lin

Three Somei-yoshino bloomed on Victoria Dr. at East 16 Ave. SW corner

Attached Files:

20. Joseph Lin

Akebonos bloomed on East 22 Ave. from Windsor to Inverness

Attached Files:

21. Joseph Lin

Akebonos bloomed on East 30 Ave., St. Catherines to Windsor

Attached Files:

22. Joseph Lin

Accolades bloomed on Dumfries St. from East 32 to 33 Ave

Attached Files:

23. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

It's a riot that these trees are taller than the house, so will have lots of room to spread. Are they really double blossoms? It would be nice to have a blossom shot.

24. Anne Eng

The two Pendulas on north side of E. 35, west of Knight Street, in full bloom April 17, 2009. One is Beni-shidare, the second is the double blossom, Yae-beni-shidare.

Attached Files:

25. Laura Blumenthal

There's another beautiful Yae-beni-shidare in bloom on the southwest corner of 33rd Avenue and Somerville Street, but I didn't have a camera with me when I saw it - will try to get a picture today.