Morels

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by KUBruceIII, Apr 14, 2009.

1. KUBruceIII

KUBruceIII Member

Anyone finding any yet? Went looking last friday and we didn't find any, but I'll be back out tomorrow!

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

I don't know about Leavenworth (WA?), but I checked some likely looking spots in BC's Fraser Valley yesterday and only found Verpas. Morels should be coming up soon.

3. KUBruceIII

KUBruceIII Member

Leavenworth, KS, no WA. It was 60 yesterday and sunny, the overnight low was around 40, and today it is sunny and 60 again, so we'll be going out in a couple of hours to see if any are poppin' up yet.

4. KUBruceIII

KUBruceIII Member

Got 2 1/4 pounds on monday, I know people that have gotten 13 pounds so far this year.

5. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Have been having mild luck this year. I've never seen so many HUNTERS as I am this year though. I went on a far off trek down a creek along a field and found my biggest yet. A patch of 5 that were over 12 inches i height each. I took home 5.7 pounds and left some behind for further growth.
    I've been keeping a log of my areas and finds? Kinda looks like this........
    Day 1. Found 1 tiny mushroom. Felt sorry for it so left it there.
    Day 2. Found 1 med-tiny mushroom. Had no sympathy and brought it home.
    Day 3. Found 7 med. mushrooms. Immediatly tore the area up looking for more. Failed. Took my host home and happily cooked them up with the wimpy 2nd day find. Feasted like a king.
    Day 4. Found 6 med-large. I know my luck is changing. How do I keep the others away?
    Day 5. No luck. Found too many hunters. Must come up with ways to evade them.
    Day 6. I think they're following me. I can't look over my shoulder without seeing hunters. Must contact cannibal pigmies to help me in this quest.
    Day 7. I feel like my sanity has left.
    Day 8. I'm selling my house and pawning my cat for money so I can purchase morels to appease my obsession.
    That was my last entry till today. :o)

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      319.9 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      119.2 KB
      Views:
    • 1fullmoon.jpg
      1fullmoon.jpg
      File size:
      102.9 KB
      Views:
  6. KUBruceIII

KUBruceIII Member

Love the narrative (though I hope it's not true!).

7. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

It's kinda hard to find good man eating hunters at this time of year. So no...not true. :o)

8. KUBruceIII

KUBruceIII Member

Good to know! ( :

9. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Haha, that closeup pic with the morel is great!

10. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

lol...thanx Daniel....sadly I think our local Morel Season is over. I'm still finding my Oysters though so I guess I'll just have to settle till next year.

11. mrsrhooms

mrsrhooms Member

So have you found any black morel's yet? I think it's still too cold and wet... atleast thats my reasoning for not finding any :P

12. vitog

Actually, I found my first black morels a week ago. I only got about 20, but it was still early for the elevation: about 500 m. This weekend, I went back to the same area and got about 5 litres of nice natural black morels. There were still some very small ones just coming up; so they should be good next weekend. This is in the Vancouver area. Some low elevation areas farther from the coast usually start producing a week or two earlier than here. Of course, if you go into the higher inland areas, the black morels will be coming up throughout June.

13. Joel Bolete

Joel Bolete Active Member

I am rehashing this old thread because I am desperate to find morels. I found 1 in my yard as I mowed the grass yesterday and It was the first one ive ever found in the wild. I live near Rolley Lake in the district of Mission BC. (290st and Dewdney trunk Rd) I need some help in the areas where I will find these little lovely mush. I get depressed when I cannot pick all year round and this si the only one I know of that is readily available and in abundance prior to chantrelle season.

HELP thanks.

14. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

It is still 25 degrees at night in upstate NY. =/ But i like seeing these pictures, makes my mouth water!

15. vitog

Joel, as you've noticed, black morels are up in lower elevation areas of southwestern BC. My experience after 40 years of searching for morels is that they are very scarce in the Lower Mainland, but are easier to find in drier areas to the east. Your best bet is to look in a forest that burned last year. Unfortunately, 2011 didn't produce any sizable forest fires that are reasonably close to Vancouver; but there's always next year. Here's hoping for a hot, dry summer.