Identification: Dog needs help PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by rydewil, Mar 31, 2009.

1. rydewil

rydewil Member

We have these long vined type plants thru-out our home. Recently my 5 month old puppy ate one. The Vet needs to know what kind of plant it is. Let me know if there are any questions.

Attached Files:

2. Lila Pereszke

Lila Pereszke Well-Known Member 10 Years

Epipremnum aureum

3. Laticauda

Laticauda Active Member

It's a golden pothos. Every part of the plant is poisonous and if eaten in high enough amount, can cause poisoning. How much does your puppy weigh? how much did he/she eat?

4. rydewil

rydewil Member

She weighs about 25lbs and ate a lot. Should I go to the vet or is their something I can do at home?

5. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

even if this was a pet-related forum, i'd still say: call your vet for advice about medical treatment!!

actually, you should have called the vet first thing once you realized she'd eaten the plant...

6. rydewil

rydewil Member

May not be a pet related forum, but is plant related. And if you read my original question, you would see that I did call the vet right away. They told me I needed to identify the plant before they could give her any help.

To those who actually had something constructive for help Thank You Very Much!!!!

7. rydewil

rydewil Member

Would it be all right if took some pictures of the rest of the plants in my home and you tell me what they are? Maybe you know of a good site for me to go to so I can learn for myself? When I googled searched today it was hard to find any that were any good.

8. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Please do -- you may like to start a new thread for it, though.

9. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

my reply was in regard to THIS statement, not the original one at the beginning of the thread. stating that you should speak to your vet about medical treatment for your pet IS constructive help.

and, yeah, i DID miss the statement about 'the vet needs to know'. no reason to be rude to me about it though.

10. onesunlover

onesunlover Member

A pothos for sure!! How is your puppy doing? Good luck.

11. Staghorn

Staghorn Member

Golden Porthos is poisonous? I had no idea. I've been keeping it in my tree frogs' cage for almost a year now. They love sitting on it's leaves. One of my frog books recommended Porthos but now that I look at the book, it appears that they recommended Scindapsus aureus. I guess I should have looked at the Latin name. I'm glad that I looked at this thread. Is it only poisonous if ingested?

12. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

Scindapsus aureus is a synonym of Epipremnum pinnatum 'Aureum', which is pothos. Yes it is only poisonous if ingested but you would need ingest quite a lot...

Ed

13. Laticauda

Laticauda Active Member

It won't bother your frogs. They don't have any interest in eating it.
    I bet your terrarium is beautiful!

14. Staghorn

Staghorn Member

Well that's good to hear because they really like that plant for perching on. The terrarium is small but the porthos is growing beautifully.

Attached Files:

15. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

it sure makes for great shots .... the plant wont hurt them at all .. it sure makes them feel at home in the jungle ... :)

Marion

16. Lisajo

Lisajo Member

I have several of these plants. They are a "hypothos ivy" I don't think it will hurt your pet. We also have two small breed dogs in our home and they have never been ill from the ivy's.