Culinary: Help with Chives

Discussion in 'Herbs for the Kitchen' started by blynb, Mar 23, 2009.

1. blynb

blynb Active Member

I've been growing garlic chives for a little over a year and for as fast as they are supposed to grow and expand in girth, mine seem to be the same as when I bought them. They grow tall but that's it. Can anyone give me any tips or tricks on making these puppies grow?
    I'd appreciate any input
    lyn

2. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Hi blynb, I always understood garlic Chives were grown for their greens, and no bulbs were ever formed. I checked on line and nothing suggested a bulb forming? Unfortunately none of these files could be downloaded on this forum, but try and google Chinese chives pix.

3. Davidgriffiths

Davidgriffiths Active Member

Are you saying that your chives are leggy? Long and thin, prone to falling over?

\How much light do they get? Plants that get low light tend to get "leggy" - it's the plants natural response to growing in an area with marginal light - grow fast and tall to get above whatever is shading it.

It's the curse of growing in the winter.

David

4. Teddybear

Teddybear Member

I have been growing chives in Ontario, Canada for many years, and I have to do many things to contain them. Seeds spread everywhere and new plants are where I don't want them. They grow on the south side of the house in dry and unfertile soil, I only water ocassionally, they don't get much water because they are under the house awning. In short, take a seed pod and sprinkle around base of original plant. If you get seed pods.

5. blynb

blynb Active Member

David, that's exactally what I'm saying. . .they're -just- leggy and have never really got fat. . .I have them under a grow light now but they used to be rather low light. . .I think I'm going to move them outside this season on my porch (south facing) I don't think I have much else choice.
    Thank you for the tips guys.
    lyn

6. Mister Green

Mister Green Active Member

I've always thought long thin chives were what cooks wanted. When they're chopped finely or cut in lengths, they make a delicate garnish. And they taste good too!

7. blynb

blynb Active Member

They most certainly do, and I'm not complaining about the length by no means. . .I just kind of thought it would expand in width too. . .but i've (knock on wood) never -not- had enough for a recipe so I guess I'm doing pretty good, huh!:)
    -Lyn

8. MannieBoo

MannieBoo Active Member

I like many who have responded have grown garlic chives for many years, I have to have them grow in a in-ground pot to keep them from spreading to much, I also have to remove the seed heads just before they ripen so has to not let the seed fall, other wise I'm pulling chives out constantly from other areas of my herb garden, I've occassionally allowed the seed heads to mature and given those seeds to friends for ther own herb gardens.

9. Davidgriffiths

Davidgriffiths Active Member

My chives started out quite leggy, but have recently thickened up. I was at Garden Works a few months back, when my chives were looking kind of ratty, and I noticed that theirs looked no better.

I am going to leave a few to seed in the pot, and start another. You can't have too many chives, basil plants, etc, etc.

10. blynb

blynb Active Member

Well, go figure, I've repotted them (here's the twist) in a much smaller pot. I was giving them too much room. Now I'm going to let them become a bit rootbound before repotting because the more they do the fatter they get - anyway, that's the truth about chives and basil (and don't forget parsley to freshen your breath after all that chive eating ;)) I'm actually getting into thai basil (never thought I'd not favor regular sweet basil) but I find it can be used easilier in more recipes than it's sweeter cousin. . .if you haven't already, try it! it's good :)
    Lyn

11. JanR

JanR Active Member

I not sure how chives can be root bound, when they are planted in the garden. LOL I planted some last year. It came in a two inch pot and now it's about 6 inches around. We had a really cold winter and I wasn't sure that it would survive, but it has just started to grow.

12. Teddybear

Teddybear Member

Hi,
    Try garlic chives if you would like wider chives. Can you get these seeds or plant in your area ?

13. Teddybear

Teddybear Member

Just sink the whole pot in the ground and cover with dirt, may work well for potbound.

14. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

I too have grown chives in a pot, as well as in the garden, and mine were thin and leggy as well. It seemed as time when on, and the plants got established, the chives thickened up. I tried fertilizing too, with something high in nitrogen, and gave them lots of sunlight - this seemed to work to get them going faster, stronger, and thicker.

: )

Yeah, garlic chives are terrific - grew both kinds before. I especially love garlic chives in rice, served with pork. Mmmmm - all this chive talk is inspiring me to plant some! I know I have seeds for both kinds in my fridge. chives are also wonderful in scrambled eggs, cut up and put into soup, and even on sandwiches! Yummy!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2010
  15. MannieBoo

MannieBoo Active Member

Another great tip that can be applied to both garlic and onion chives, they freeze really well, when my are long enough, I cut them and put them in freezer bags,seal them up and store them for the winter months, only problem is, I never seem to cut enough, either that or the more I cut the more I use.

16. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

I hear ya, mannieboo!

I love to have fresh herbs to pull out of the freezer, especially in winter! It's so nice to drop beautiful herbs into your soups and sauces, when the so-called herbs at the grocery store are pathetic in comparison!

Thanks for the great tip!