Black bamboo from root cuttings?

Discussion in 'Poaceae' started by xman, Mar 11, 2009.

1. xman

xman Active Member

Hi,

Last weekend, I got some root cuttings from a friend's black bamboo groove. I dug out some runners that were close to the ground. These are 8 - 10 inch root cutting, I have planted them in containers. Will black bamboo grow from root cuttings? It was impossible to dig out a culm as was the initial plan as the bamboo culms were so tightly packed in a small area.

How long before I see something from the root cuttings? Do I need to fertilize now?

thanks,
    xman

2. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

It will shoot from sections of rhizome without attached culms, depending on which part you've dug. If you've only taken sections that were exposed on the surface, these won't have roots or nodes from which to shoot. I'm assuming you've taken sections that were primarily underground. In this case, you're looking for swollen nodes (small bumps, usually reddish coloured) along the length of the rhizome, these are where shoots will emerge. Generally speaking, an 8-10" section of healthy rhizome will be adequate to support shoots. Just plant and keep them from drying out: no fertilizer is necessary at this point. Don't know how your season work in Texas, but they send out shoots in spring, the timing depends on the species. Black bamboo typically shoots mid-late spring.

3. DGuertin

DGuertin Active Member 10 Years

I've got P. nigra shooting already... You'll nee dto wait until your bit o'rhizome actually gets roots first, but I think you'll likely be in for a shooting around early to mid July.

4. xman

xman Active Member

thanks for the replies. I took sections that were underground at about 3- 4 inches in the ground. Most of the cuttings had swollen nodes or small bumps white in colour. Some had the nodes that were about 1/2 - 1 inch long. Are these the shoots?
    will these shoots be sustained by the roots on the rhizome? the rhizomes had about 3 - 4 inches width of root hairs in either side along the length of the cutting. Most of these lateral root hairs were still covered with soil when I dug them out. I have planted these as is in containers.
    I do not know if they will take or not.

thanks,
    xman

5. DGuertin

DGuertin Active Member 10 Years

Sounds to me like you've already done far, far better than many, if not most. If your rhizome sections were already rooted, and you kept the roots and soil, you're in for a heck of a good chance to have some serious pots full pretty quickly. Well done there lad!

6. xman

xman Active Member

DGuertin,

Thanks for the optimism. The waiting game begins, I will post back when I see something.

xman

7. xman

xman Active Member

I checked today, and saw tiny pencil thin clums about 1/2 inch above the soil level. The rhizomes were planted in pine bark with not fertilization, should I use some dilute liquid fertilizer like dynagro? or should I let it go for a few weeks?

thanks

8. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

Mostly, just keep them well watered now that they're shooting. I'd also plant them into something besides pine bark, any decent soil mix would do. Give a good mulching as well; you can use the pine bark for this.

9. xman

xman Active Member

Ok, I have a number of shoots coming up, they have reached about 18 inches. All the new shoots are real skinny and soft, and all of them are bent over. What is wrong??

thanks,
    xman

10. vicarious1

vicarious1 Active Member 10 Years

Burnaby North on a slope facing south & a view :-)
    Hello You seem to know well Black Bamboo.
    I transplanted Bamboo with 24 hrs with clumps of roots and feeder roots. I kept the root ball UNDER very wet earth for the only night 1/2 of them were not replanted yet.
    90% of all my replants the leaves have sort of rolled up like a cigar.
    Someone told me that is sort of a " survival mode" for many plants .
    Today (2 days after replanting) all looks very dry..nothing green anymore only 3-4 out of 30 bamboo branches some up to 15 feet tall.
    I am VERY worried although I did take great care NOT to let them dry out and kept thme in a 100% moist ( away from air ) environment ...
    What can I do to HELP the plants .. its not every day one gets the chance to get free tall black bamboo . I am in Vancouver Canada.
    Before it grew in a quite shady alley between two houses and garden and was free.
    Now it's in full sun and in big pots .
    Shall i add a big dose of Miracle Grow fertilizer or else ????
    Thank you for any help.

11. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Just wait a bit and keep them damp. They will probably reshoot. I thought I had lost a pot of bamboo which Ithink is the non clumping kind. It rolled the leaves and looked very dead. Lo and behold some rain and it's off again.

Liz

12. vicarious1

vicarious1 Active Member 10 Years

Burnaby North on a slope facing south & a view :-)
    Hello Liz

Ok you give me hope .....at least one positive sign
    when you say reshoot does it mean it will make NEW leaves on the existing stem
    or make new stems from the bottom ?
    How are you ?.....Spring here gardenign frenzy for past 304 week
    the KALE as everyone said will rot turn to compost
    NOT TRUE we started cutting short some of the stems with no more leaves
    and it starts making new fresh braches from the bottom Yee haaa 61 plants.. thats promising
    now I have same amount more of seedlings of curly kale the one with the frilles
    ..I think I have to mix them into the middle of the red russian as i don't have enough ( or more)
    plots to plant.. they just will have to grow closer than the usual...
    beside the I am on a www.myfreecycle.org trip to get what ever I can ...
    all my recycled day lillies are growing
    my seeds received from different people are seedling and hoepfully many IN the soil
    will grow..
    Have a look at my Paroot or Peony ( someone said its called ) TULIPE visual love story ..
    at
    http://visualsenses.smugmug.com/
    its the featured gallery on the top left I hope you like it .
    Regards
    Vic
    THANKS for the bamboo advise rain is not whats missing here but lately was quite nice no HUGE rain but I watered to add some moisture
    also made a 100% new shade garden that will be on the gallery soon one or two days more to arrange it all
    HAPPY MOTHERS DAY enjoy!!!!!!!