Planted Lemon Meyers and Lime

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by lnewportTX, Feb 26, 2009.

1. lnewportTX

lnewportTX Member

Hi, An additional question to the one I posted here this morning. I hope it's ok to post multiple posts instead of adding to my already huge post :)

Anyways, after reading some more here I am wondering about my soil type around my house. The soil is very clay like and heavy. Do you think it would have better to keep my lemon trees and lime tree in a pot instead of planting them in the ground?

I had some workers come and plant the trees and I expressed that I wanted the holes to be large. They assured me that they were the appropriate size and they back filled the holes with my potting soil. My only concern is if the tree grows outside of the size of the hole will the clay be too hard for it's roots to grow.

Thanks for any opinions about this.

2. aesir22

aesir22 Active Member

Citrus need well draining soil. So, if you want them in the ground, improve the soil. If you don't really mind, they will do fine in pots - every single one of mine is containerized and they do great.

3. sugar land dave

sugar land dave Member

Here in the Houston area we have thick black clay. I plant my citrus trees in a raised bed of bagged home depot citrus soil. This procedure gives the trees a chance to get established before their roots have to deal with the clay. If you have a flying dragon or sour orange rootstock, the clay probably will never present a problem.

Best of luck to you!

4. lnewportTX

lnewportTX Member

Thanks to both of you.

Do you think it would be safe to try and dig around the plant and add better soil? My plant currently has baby fruit on it, some are getting large and I don't want to lose them.

Also do you think if I choose to do so it would be safe to dig it up and repot it?

5. StarLoc

StarLoc Active Member

If you dig around the plant and add better soil, it may cause problems with water collecting and causing root rot, you are always best not to add anything to the soil when planting in ground and to keep the hole as small as possible to the rootball of the tree,
    i think with bad soil you would need to improve a lot of the area around the tree to prevent it becoming waterlogged in the hole the tree is planted in , if its growing well i would leave it as it is, if not then i would put it in a pot or make a raised bed for it.

6. lnewportTX

lnewportTX Member

Hi Starloc,

So I've decided to leave it where it is and pray for the best. I realize the soil it is in isn't the best so I talked to my husband about it and we decided we will just make sure to becareful about over watering.

My question is now how will I know when this effort is a waste and it's better to dig the tree up and pot it?

Thank You!

7. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

The actual answer to your question, all depends on what type of rootstock your tree is growing on. Some rootstock do very well in heavy clay, some do well on sand, some do well on common soil, some on wet ground, and some on drier ground.. If you know what your tree's rootstock is, an answer can be readily given. - Millet (1,419-)

8. lnewportTX

lnewportTX Member

Hi Millet,

I was hoping you would come by and help me out. I've been following you around this forum for the last week lol.

How do I find out what is it's rootstock? I have all the tags still and I don't see where it says what my rootstock is. I also have where the plant came from, last resort is I could call them up and ask but is there another way to figure this out?

Thank You!

9. lnewportTX

lnewportTX Member

I might have an answer. I called the company "Saxon Becnel & Sons" and spoke to a lady there. She said it would have been rooted on Carrizo Citrange.

I hope she wasn't just trying to get me off the phone but that's all I know how to go by.

10. Millet

Most good nurseries, label their tree, giving the tree's variety name, and also the name of the rootstock. Other nurseries, paint a colored strip around the bottom of the trunk, which identifies the root stock. If neither is the case, you will have to contact the actual nursery and ask. If you purchased the tree from a retailer, I doubt that the retailer will know. - Millet (1.419-)

11. lnewportTX

lnewportTX Member

Well I did call and a lady said it was Carrizo Citrange but she was also in the middle of feeding her kids so she may have said anything to get me off the phone. I didn't feel comfortable with her answer so I have e-mailed.

If it is Carrizo Citrange, I have read posts where you have said that it does not do well in clay soil.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/citrus/msg1020301024054.html

So do I try and dig it up or just see how it goes? Thanks for your help Millet.

12. Millet

Carrizo citrange, and Swingle citrumelo, are generally unsuitable on soils with horizons containing >20 percent clay, and especially soils where such layers are close to the soil surface. Trifoliate orange, Cleopatra Mandarin, Shekwasha Mandarin, Cleo X Trifoliate Orange (X639), Sour Orange, Gou Tou, Kinkoji, Smooth Flat Seville, and Sun Chusha Mandarin are all good in clay soils. If you purchase more citrus trees, just make sure that the new tree is grafted upon one of these rootstocks. Take care and good luck. - Millet (1,419-)

13. lnewportTX

lnewportTX Member

Thanks Millet!! Mucho appreciated!