spring

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Blake09, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

spring is coming near, who is going to start a garden this year?....... Well I am one of them This is what I recently bought:

produse "seeds":

* sweet corn "yellow corn" "two packets"
    * sqush "dixie hybrid" "
    * zucchini sqush
    * tomato "roma VF"
    * tomato "better boy hybrid"
    *tomato "big boy hybred"
    * watermelon "ultra cool hybred" "it is seedless"
    * cucumber "burpee hybred II"
    * sweet pepper "big dipper"
    * birdhouse gourd
    * sunflower "mammoth"

Here are the flowers "seeds" that I bout to bring in bees:

* wisteria
    * morning glory "giant, mixed colors"
    * marigold "flower power mix"
    * wildflower garden wild flower seed mixture "bright, colorful mix of assorted annual wildflowers "seeds" "it sas it covers up to 1,000 Sq Ft. it ways:

Net Wt. 24oz. (680 g)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  2. galiano

galiano Active Member

I can almost see your excitement in that post. C'mon Spring ! !

3. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

spring starts for us in march :) and it is feb. now. I can't wait for spring to start! I just today tilled up the garden :) :).

4. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

IT just came in "I got some wisteria seeds"! :) now I am more pumped up!! So I am going to add that to my list "yes I know how to prune it"

5. JanR

JanR Active Member

I can't wait for spring. I have all my seeds and I'm dying to get planting. Unfortunately I have a least two months before I can plant the earliest things. This is what I bought this year and it doesn't include all the seeds I have left over from last year.

Beans- Royal Burgundy- bush
    -Kentucky Wonder - Pole
    -Pencil pod Black Wax - Bush
    Baking Beans - Kenearly
    Beets - Touchstone Gold
    Broccoli All Season Blend
    Brussel Sprouts - Jade Cross
    Cabbage - All Season Blend
    Carrots - Rainbow
    Corn - Early Golden Bantam ( SU)
    - Honey Select
    - Quickie (SE)
    Cucumber - Morden Early
    - Cross Country
    Ground Cherry - Aunt Molly's
    Leeks - Giant Musselburgh
    Muskmellon - Halona
    Onions - Green Banner
    - Red Baron
    Peas - Mr Big
    - Tall Telephone
    - Super Sugar Snap
    Pumpkin - Small Sugar
    Radish - Easter Egg
    Squash - Ambercup
    - Small Wonder
    Tomato - Sub Artic Plenty
    - Manitoba
    - Yellow Pearshaped
    - Amish Paste
    - Ildi
    - Sun Sugar
    Watermelon - New Queen
    Zucchini - Dark Green
    - Gold Rush

6. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

Wow my list looks small compaired to yours!! cool :}

" I just cant wait to plant my seeds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

7. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Blake and Jan: how BIG are your gardens??! Wow...to have that much space, and that much usable soil...! Even after years of effort most of mine would make better building material than growing medium.

8. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

My format of my garden is a

rectangle

length: 72 ft.
    width: 15 ft.

It is a big garden, I just got done plowing it today :}

9. togata57

Am looking forward to photos! It sounds great.

10. JanR

JanR Active Member

Then I would build some raised beds. You can then add lots of organic matter and build up the soil that you are going to grow in, without it disappearing into the surrounding soil.

My main vegetable garden is probably around 2000 sq. ft. It was in place when I moved here in Aug 2006, so I have had two growing seasons. Unfortunately it is too shady as it has trees all around it. I'm not sure why the previous owner put such tall trees, so close to the vegetable garden. :( Last year with the summer so cool and wet, some things didn't do well at all. Rather than cut down the trees I have decided to add some raised beds on the north side of the house. Last year I started with two 4 x4 raised bed and in the fall I started on three 4 x 10 beds, to which I still have to add the soil. That will be my first job once the snow melts, right now you can't even see where they are. The two 4 x4 beds were the only ones that did well last year, so I can't wait to get growing in the new ones as well.

I tend to get a little carried away buying seeds. I can't wait to get growing. :)

11. JanR

JanR Active Member

I am so jealous. I would love to have a longer growing season. You must be able to grow almost anything there. I have a good two months to wait before I can get into the garden.

12. togata57

Agree with you, Jan! Took a walk around my garden this afternoon...in my big winter coat, wrapped in scarf, gloves, earmuffs, among the snowflakes...to assess what tasks I need to do first...in about a MONTH when the temp. might just get above freezing!

13. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

I defanally will post photos of when I get plants down there, Heres what it looks like now:

14. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

Heres my future garden "just tilled it up" We have alot of land.

Attached Files:

15. togata57

N-i-i-i-ce! Would love to grab a handful of that soil. Your garden is gonna be beautiful.

16. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

it is just some o'l clay soil, I hope my garden will look beautiful. :}

17. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Hahaahahaha galiano..blake is like an excitable kitten in every post I have seen...Blake is passionate like us all.

llmaoooooooooooo at ploughing...give it up bragging about your size..lolol

Shant show mine its far too smal...heheheehe

18. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

I just got done planting all of my seeds except for the birdhouse gourd, watermelons, sunflowers, yellow corn because I dont have enough room in my min. greenhouses. "I did not plant any flowers in there only the produce seeds", "those are two different photos of different min. greenhouses". and I added more space to my garden maby a 15 foot extension to put my strawberrie row in "see pictures". by the way they just came up, the black stuff is compost that I mixed in. I will take a picture of the hole extension.. ;) :)

Attached Files:

19. galiano

galiano Active Member

My seed order has just arrived from Vesey's. I bought my onion sets and my seed potatoes should be here in a week or two. I have limed, and dug in compost. Added topsoil where needed.

I have the first of my peas and spinach planted but it's still cold here at night getting down to freezing. Today it's 10 C so the seeds should be happy. This is an exciting time of the year if you a gardener. I'm on southern Vancouver Island and this year I built a cold frame so I can start things like tomatoes, squash etc ahead of time and not have to buy nursery plants. I have lettuce just up in the cold frame. It's hard not to rush the season.

I agree with raised beds as being a good way to go particularly if you haven't got a big area with good soil. I have 12 raised beds and this year have also dug up part of our lawn for a 10 x 12 potato patch. The soil in the raised beds will be ready to plant probably a month before the in ground patch which doesn't drain as well.

My goal this season is to grow almost enough to last through the winter and into next season.

Blake I am envious of the size of your garden. Where are you located ? If everything grows well you should have enough for the whole neighborhood. :-)

20. JanR

JanR Active Member

It is still way too early for me to plant anything. I still have a foot of snow on the ground and it is frozen rock solid, I won't start my tomatoes and peppers until early in April. I will be lucky if I can plant anything out before May 25th of so. Actually I should be able to plant my potatoes early in May and hopefully broccoli and other hardy vegetable a little earlier. I can't wait for spring. I start a lot of my veggies in Jiffy 7's too.

21. soccerdad

soccerdad Active Member 10 Years

Here is Vancouver, 2000 sq feet would be about 1/2 of an average lot (33' x 120'). I imagine that a lot could be bought for only $800,000 - I assume that one can buy a bare lot that cheap in some areas although with a house on it you sure couldn't buy anything for a mere $800,000 anywhere - at a 1.25:1 exchange rate the lot would be a mere $625,000 or so U.S. and so the 2000 sq foot garden could be bought for a mere $315,000 US.

Alas that is not in my gardening budget this year. My garden is a 20' x 15', so the land is worth a mere $100,000.

Not that I have any idea who can afford to buy property here today - I bought my house 30 years ago when prices were sane - but I die with envy to hear of what I regard as enormous farms. How I would love a 500 sq foot garden!!

Factoring in the cost of the land, each tomato that I grow costs me well over $100.

22. JanR

JanR Active Member

The reason that I moved to Manitoba from Burnaby B.C. was so that I could buy a house with some land. It was never going happen in B.C.

23. galiano

galiano Active Member

Jan R : how long is your growing season there in Manitoba ?

24. JanR

JanR Active Member

We can easily have frosts in May and September. I figure I can only count on 100 days or so.

25. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

that is not verry long :(