spots on schefflera

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by kluni, Feb 10, 2009.

1. kluni

kluni Member

Hello!

I have problem with my schefflera. It grows nicely but many new leaves look like one on the photo below.
    Can anyone tell me what's the problem?
    I repotted it, cut it back, but those spots appeared on new leaves.

Attached Files:

2. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Is there anything on the underside of the leaf? It looks a little like rust spots, check and maybe post photo of underneah leaf if there's something there. If it is rust there'll be some rust coloured dust under the leaf.

3. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Septoria leaf spot?

4. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Definitely suggest removing the worst and spraying the rest with a fungicide.

5. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

You don't want to mist if you have been, it can spread around the disease.

6. kluni

kluni Member

This photo shows the underside of the leaf. There isn't anything.
    I already cut off not only leaves with spots but olso the tip of the stem for couple of times. At first, new leaves where healthy, but eventualy spotted ones appeared.
    So nobody have seen it on shefflera?

7. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

looks to be some type of fungal thing. is there good air circulation in the area the plant is kept? what about humidity levels?

a combination of too high humidity and no air movement is prime conditions for fungus to multiply.

definitely treat with a fungicide. and do something to create air movement...either move it away from a wall or add a small fan to the area and keep it going all the time.

8. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Rust is probably one of the most common problems in our area not just on umbrella trees. Joclyn's right need better air flow.

9. Davidm

Davidm Active Member 10 Years

I had the same thing on mine but it just went away by itself.Never did find out what it was and it didn't seem to hurt anything.
    [​IMG]

10. kluni

kluni Member

I'm so glad I finally met someone who actualy has some experience with exactly this problem. :) Spots on your pic are just like "mine".
    So you say you didn't change anything (fertilization, watering ...) and it went away by itself? Was your schefflera young plant or ... it had some millage? What were it's growing conditions?

11. Davidm

Davidm Active Member 10 Years

That's right .Didn't change or do anything.They just went away.I know it sounds weird.
    That was last fall.I took pics and put them on here and noone could tell me what it was. So I thought I would just see what happens. It is growing in a large south window partial shaded by palms.It gets sun most of the time,when there is sun.I would be interested in knowing what caused that myself.
    It didn't seem to hurt the leaves.The leaves didn't die or turn brown or anything like that. And the spots eventually went away and I have not yet seen anymore.