Peeved at CFIA bureaucracy

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by jaro_in_montreal, Feb 1, 2009.

1. jaro_in_montreal

jaro_in_montreal Active Member

Here's just one example of what, I guess, comes under the heading of government agency public servants not serving the public.
    In this case, the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) allows a certain number of Japanese Barberry varieties to be imported, cultivated and sold within Canada.
    This is their current list:

B. thunbergii Aurea Nana
    B. thunbergii « Monomb » Cherry Bomb
    B. thunbergii Concorde
    B. thunbergii « Tara » Emerald Carousel
    B. thunbergii « Monlers » Golden Nugget
    B. thunbergii « Bailgreen » Jade Carousel
    B. thunbergii Rose Glow
    B. thunbergii « Gentry » Royal Burgundy
    B. thunbergii Royal Cloak
    B. thunbergii « Bailone » Ruby Carousel
    B. thunbergii « Monry » Sunsation​

When I asked if they would extend their list to include another variety, which differs in physical form ("habit") and little else, the answer was that it can't be done.
    Probably not in my or your lifetime.

In other words, the CFIA knows how to ratchet up restrictions & regulations, but when it comes to accommodating the public (which pays their salaries, through taxes), its a no-go, regardless of how minor the change is.

Below is the response to my request, sent through the CFIA web site (in French).

Please feel free to add you favourite nonsensical horticultural CFIA restriction peeves.

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

3. jaro_in_montreal

Thanks.
    This appears to talk about the Common barberry (Berberis vulgaris).
    It is not included in CFIA's existing list of allowed plants: is anyone trying to change that ?
    If not, how is it relevant ?

4. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Change? Not that I know of offhand, I would suggest contacting the CNLA, they should be able to tell you if anyone is pursuing amendments of CFIA lists etc. Usually it would be something a grower or commercial importer would be spearheading.

5. jaro_in_montreal

Yes -- indeed, that is mentioned in the CFIA response I received (see initial post).
    Essencially, the commercial people gave up on trying to get the CFIA to change their list.

By the way, that USDA link you provided includes a link to another page, where seventy (70) varieties of Rust Resistant Japanese barberry (B. thunbergii) are listed, along with about as many more of other Rust Resistant species & varieties.

Most of that list was entered into US regulation in the Federal Register in 2002.

Here we are in 2009, seven years later, with the CFIA maintaining a list of eleven Rust Resistant B. thunbergii, and refusing to update it.
    That's bureaucracy at its worst, IMO.