General: Is anyone growing herbs indoors this winter?

Discussion in 'Herbs for the Kitchen' started by Davidgriffiths, Oct 27, 2008.

1. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

3) Vesey's seeds - P.O Box 9000
    Charlottetown, P.E.I., Canada
    C1A 8K6
    Toll free: 1-800-363-7333

4) West Coast Seeds - 3925 - 64th Street, RR#1
    Delta, British Columbia, Canada
    V4K 3N2
    Orderline: 604-952-8820

2. The Hollyberry Lady

Oh, you are most welcome rudell! Hope these four will come in handy. Keep in touch. Would love to know when you start your hot pepper seeds...

3. rudell

rudell Active Member 10 Years

I've been to walmart like 3 times and keep forgetting to buy my earth ....grrrrr!!!
    gonna have to tie something around my finger or a even better a post it on my forehead !!

4. The Hollyberry Lady

I use sticky post-it notes, and I put them right on the front door. I always see them when I leave, and I take it with me to remind me further. Good luck with the hot pepper seeds - you are going to love them!

5. rudell

Hi Holly ...guess what I got today...yes finally my earth and here are pictures of my "aurora" and my "firecracker"...so excited...now you see the third picture ...all these dishes will eventually dissapear..why because I want to grow my very own herb garden..because I can't cook doesn't mean I can't have an herb garden right...ahahhaha
    will keep ya posted on any leafy green popping up...!

Attached Files:

6. rudell

oh Holly I forgot to mention I also saved seeds from a grocery store red pepper ...they've been drying for a week now...how long to dry them before I can plant them ???

7. The Hollyberry Lady

Hi rudell!

They say to dry the seeds for about a week, but I make it two, just to be sure. Then I store them in my fridge to keep them fresh, for three times as long than if you don't!

Thanks for the shots - they look great! Normally when you plant from seed, you begin the seeds in a very small container, then wait for the roots to fill the small container first, before transplanting to a bigger pot. I think you will be okay though, because vegetable plants will usually thrive regardless.

If you find when the seeds sprout, that the seedlings are just dwindling along - put them in small little pots, and wait for them to outgrow it, before putting them back into the big pot. How many seeds of each variety did you sow?

I love how you are going about everything - I'm sure it's going to work out for you! The seeds should start germinating in about 7-14 days. Get a spray bottle to mist the top of the soil everyday with warm water and encourage the seeds to pop! Keep everything very warm, and you'll be just fine. I am so excited for you!

Yes, yes, keep us posted, please...

: )

8. rudell

I poked 4 holes 1/4" deep then put like 2 seeds in each so 8 seeds I guess ..got it..next time will plant in smaller pots

9. The Hollyberry Lady

Hi again rudell:

Okay, my seeds are extremely fresh, so no need to put 2 in each hole because they will likely both come up! I like the "2 seeds in one hole" practice, on older seeds only, with the assumption that one of the two seeds will not germinate. Next time, plant 2 seeds in a 2-3 inch pot, spaced 1 inch apart. Keep the most vigorous seedling from each pair.

It's okay how you've done it though - so do not worry! My seeds are so viable, that you will succeed anyway! I just like to pass on easier ways to do things, but I also respect that each gardener is different, and may have their own way of doing things, with their own set of preferences : )

Just wait and see what happens - you'll see green sprouts very soon...

10. The Hollyberry Lady

By the way, rudell:

Both of these varieties are quite small, so you could even keep 4 plants in each of your big pots! you'll have tons of peppers! Be sure to turn the pot every other day, to ensure all sides get sunshine. Have fun.

Feel free to ask me anything further, when and if you need to...

11. rudell

do these plants live a couple of years or I think I read somewhere to start new ones in the spring???
    questions ...goodness I can't type fast enough ...
    another I'm interested in is pomegrenade ?.... :) :) can I see another pic of that ...how big does that get and you can start this also with seed ..I think I read somewhere if you try and plant seeds it won't fruit???

12. rudell

13. The Hollyberry Lady

Hi rudell:

Wow - thanks for the great link! I have a feeling I will be ordering from them very shortly! Yes, pepper plants are perennial, and will live on. However some varieties just dwindle along, not producing as much, so it can be much more rewarding to just plant new ones every Spring! I have carried over pepper plants successfully though. Judge it by how well it seems to be growing and producing.

I am growing dwarf pomegranate in my living room window. Unfortunately, at this point, I only have the pictures in my profile, for you to see of it. I am going to put mine outside in Spring, so the bees will pollinate the flowers and produce fruit. I am growing a type called "nana". It's a dwarf pomegranate, so it won't grow more than 2-3 feet inside. I did not get the seeds from grocery store fruit though, I ordered them from California - J.L. Hudson seedsman. I do not know if pomegranate seeds saved from grocery store fruit will produce or not.

14. rudell

I want the star fruit....

15. The Hollyberry Lady

I want some kind of passion fruit...

16. The Hollyberry Lady

Hi again rudell:

You know, I meant to tell you - I would have offered you some of my dwarf pomegranate seeds, but I just don't have many left unfortunately, after all my trading! When my plant gets some fruit on it, I will surely share some of the seeds with you, if you remind me.

17. rudell

that's fine...I think I will have my hands full for a bit....with all my peppers...

18. The Hollyberry Lady

Yes, you will be busy with all your little pepper seedlings! Please keep me posted as to their progress - I enjoy knowing.

The seeds for the dwarf pomegranate are very hard to germinate - mine took 4-5 weeks! I will definitely share some with you soon...

19. The Hollyberry Lady

Some information for rudell:

"Fire Cracker" ~ This plant is small and tends to trail, which makes it very attractive in pots, as it spills down the sides! The peppers start out yellow, ripening to red! Very ornamental and edible. Said to be one of the hottest in the world. Allow peppers to get deep red before harvesting, for full heat impact!

"Aurora" ~ This little plant is my most favorite hot pepper plant of all! It goes through so many colors during the ripening process that it looks like a rainbow! The peppers and the plant are upright. The fruits start out bright purple, then whitish, mauve, yellow, orange, and finally red! They all turn at different times, so it is very pretty. The peppers are very hot and tasty. An amazing little plant!

Be sure to collect, dry, and save more seeds from inside of a few of the fruits!

Enjoy...

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  20. rudell

so one could use these peppers in cooking recepies or are they just tooo hot ?

21. The Hollyberry Lady

Cooking? Oh my goodness yes! These peppers were made for eating! I was just saying they're both very hot, but absolutely you can cook with them. Eat them dried or fresh.

Enjoy...

22. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

I can save seeds for Granadilla and Maracuya, if you like, and also Taxo which is more cold-hardy...

23. The Hollyberry Lady

Thanks so much lorax!

I am so glad we are involved in a seed trade together! Whichever one you think will be suitable, will be fine with me.

Keep in mind I have a huge plant light system, so I can start the passion fruit plant indoors to give it a head start. I like dwarf or smaller plants, however I realize this may not be possible with passion fruits. Chat soon...

24. Davidgriffiths

Davidgriffiths Active Member

Unfort, the seedlings I started got about 2 inches tall, and then promptly fell over. I'm starting again, this time with a seedling mat and some grow lights (to get them started).

I have two jalapeno plants that are doing ok, so I expect that chives and basil should as well. Just waiting for the sprouts to pop up, and once they have their true leaves, I'll move to a window sill (we have a south west exposure sun room, and there are sills right above the old fashioned cast iron radiators.

Those firecracker peppers are beautiful - going to keep my eyes out for them...

David

25. rudell

I think I see something...out of my Firecracker...a little something from my Aurora also

Attached Files: