general info search...

Discussion in 'Plants: Nomenclature and Taxonomy' started by Wolvie150, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Wolvie150

Wolvie150 Active Member

I've actually tried, but feel I'm only getting a part of the picture. Some of the fact is my general biology ignorance...
    I'm looking to develop a general taxonomy tree. I've goton Kingdoms, of course, and the Phylums/Divisions, but when I get to classes, that's when I start having difficulty. Add my lack of formal education...
    Can anyone send me to a site or book (actually, books are prefered) that would give an 'non-biology educated' professional/personal enthusiast an intermediate intro to taxonomy and related material?

Appreciate any suggestions, search terms, authors, textbook titles, etc.?

Peace,
    Wolvie

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  2. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Although not brilliant this site is good for typing in a genus then getting the whole tree down to that genus it does not go too much further than that but it's handy if that's all you're after. It's not all that complete and you'll not find everything here.

http://taxonomicon.taxonomy.nl/Default.aspx

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  3. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Botany in a Day---The Patterns Method of Plant Identification
    Thomas J. Elpel's Herbal Field Guide to Plant Families of North America

5th edition, May 2006
    ISBN: 1-892784-15-7
    www.hopspress.com
    www.wildflowers-and-weeds.com

This book is supremely user-friendly: it presumes no prior knowledge; it is organized in a simple, clear way; and the author is enthusiastic about his subject. I like it a lot---currently have a copy from the library, but would like to purchase one of my own!
    (Call #: 581.634 E48b5 2004)

4. Wolvie150

Wolvie150 Active Member

wow, I tend to think this detailed, but still recieve weird looks if I give them that number... Thanks for that extra info!

Thanks so far everyone, this is helping. I still don't know exactly WHY I am doing this...??? I guess I think it's fun...

Peace,
    Wolvie

5. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Wolvie ,
    The funny number is useful when locating books. It is the international standard book number (ISBN) and these days is 13 digits long. If you feed it into a library catalogue it will jump straight to the book record. Do you have a local library that you can look up on line. The call number / spine number (Call #: 581.634 E48b5 2004)) may not be the same for every library. The one quoted is a Dewey number with the author done with specific tables. Some libraries may only use the first three letters of the author after the number. Or they may use Library of congress number which is different again.

Here ends the lesson :)

Liz

6. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Put yourself completely in the hands of your friendly local librarian. Here in Columbus one can do this in person or on the phone, or one can find and reserve items via the online catalog. If you have merely the title or author the book can be found for you. More and specific info will often felicitate the reference person's search.--- Ditto Barnes & Noble, etc.