Lobster Meal

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by Durgan, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

http://www.durgan.org/ShortURL/?NPUAU 7 December 2008 Lobster Meal

Lobster season is now active off the coast of Nova Scotia. The lobster fishermen are getting about $3.00 per pound and lobster retail is $11.99 in my area. In previous years lobster fishermen would get over $5.00 per pound and the price retail was about $9.00. It appears the retailers are ripping people off judging by historical prices. The lower wholesale cost is not being passed on.

It is still a great opportunity to assist the fishermen by having one meal at least of fresh lobster, assuming one likes lobster.

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

What do you charge for shipping? :D

3. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

Durgan,

In S.NJ the local Lobsters as well as the catch from further north is going for $7.99/#. I used a pair of 6 pounders for a Thanksgiving dish this year.

Thanksgiving grub.

4. Durgan

I drove to Kitchener and picked up the two lobster (~75km) They were clearly over-charging. The total cost for the two was about $55.00.

5. Durgan

I certainly like the larger lobster; inspite, of the common perception that smaller is better. You got yours at a good price.

6. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

Agree, the yield is better on the bigger lobsters and the toughness myth helps keep down the prices on larger critters. I once served a 22# lobster to a discerning group, nothing but compliments.

I've used the techniques in Steingarten's book. They are useful for delivering the coup de grace, getting the cooking times right and not vulcanizing the lobster flesh. His lobster roll recipe is superb.