General: Is anyone growing herbs indoors this winter?

Discussion in 'Herbs for the Kitchen' started by Davidgriffiths, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Davidgriffiths

Davidgriffiths Active Member

Is anyone (has anyone) growing herbs indoors? The kids wanted to plant some seeds last weekend, so we put in some basil, oregano, etc, into the seed starter.

The starter is on a southern window, and above a hot-water register, so heat and light are about as good as they are going to get.

Am I wasting my time?

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Hey, I say it's worth a shot! Why not?

3. Acoma

Acoma Active Member

Why not a mini greenhouse? Hydroponic stores have year round systems too. That can add to the fun for the children, and you.

4. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Hey, David---check out container gardener's post from yesterday, "String of Beads plant". In entry #3,this poster reveals a passion for growing plants from seed, including herbs! Maybe the two of you could have a mutually enjoyable conversation! So, in answer to your original question: YES! Someone IS growing herbs indoors this winter!

5. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

Hello Davidgriffiths!!!

I am the container gardener that togata57 was referring to - I just changed my name because I was new! Yes, I am growing sweet basil in my sunny windows, and I do it all year round! Below is a picture of my sweet basil plant, and how it looks as of 5 days ago! I also grow dill, chamomile, chives, lemon balm, greek oregano, and spearmint! I grow many veggies in winter too - all you need is a sunny sill. My sills are more like shelves, and can support my many seedlings and plants. Also, I've included two pics of my "Firecracker" hot pepper plant that grows in a sunny window all winter. Even if you don't like hot peppers, they are so ornamental and pleasant to look at..........

Attached Files:

6. pinenut

pinenut Active Member 10 Years

Been growing Rosemary for a few years now just in a south facing window. Noticed the
    Real Canadian Superstore some topiary Rosemary a while back. That'd work for some instant gratification.
    Fresh Rosemary, garlic, sea salt and a blue rare New York steak: Mmmmmm!
    Carl

7. Davidgriffiths

Davidgriffiths Active Member

Hollyberry Lady,

The basil and peppers look great - did you start them from seed? I have a Lee Valley miniature greenhouse-thing on a south window, and things are sprouting in there, but the growth is slow....

David

8. The Hollyberry Lady

Hello Davidgriffiths:

Yes, I did plant the basil and peppers from seed! I plant all my stuff from seed and have quite a collection. I have a lot of seeds sprouting right now too! It's so fun to watch seeds popping everywhere when it's freezing outside. I use a heating mat, so my seeds come up in half the time! Here's a pic of another hot pepper variety I am growing, called "Aurora". The little peppers all turn differenet colors at once! What are you growing?

Attached Files:

9. Acoma

Acoma Active Member

Winter lighting is not so strong, so do you add hours of light inside the house?

10. The Hollyberry Lady

Hey!

No, I am not using any artificial light for the plants in the above pictures! They are growing in my living room windows, that are in the shape of an "L", and face two different directions - south and east. My window sills are more like shelves, and support my many different plants and seedlings. Lately, I've been noticing that there hasn't been as much sun - so I may turn on my flourescent lamp to grow my sprouting seedlings. I also have a 400w metal halide growing system, that I don't use too often - mostly in December. January usually brings loads of sunshine here. I just like to know that I have some light available if I really need it, but I rarely do! What kinds of plants are you growing, or interested in growing? Today, I made a container water garden indoors - I am going to grow a Lotus - may need to use my light system to get it going until January sunshine arrives................

11. Acoma

Acoma Active Member

My goal has been towards getting my brocoli, pepper and tomato plants started in April indoors. They will get a 6-7 week headstart before going outdoors. I may experiment indoors now with a pepper plant or two. Since it works for you, why not. My concern will be the cats that eat all living indoor plants. Maybe allowing them to attempt to eat a pepper plant will stop that:) I appreciate the great photos. This gives merit to the benifits of indoor starting. Please shoot a couple seed to early plant shots. That would be nice too.
    Acoma

12. The Hollyberry Lady

Hi Acoma!

Okay, well here are a few shots of some seedlings I am currently growing, I will list them, so you'll know what you're looking at. Yes, by all means, if you've got a sunny, or even half sunny window, you can grow many things - even over the colder months. Old man Winter never stops me!...............

Sorry the shots are not that clear - using web cam. Zoom-in on photos and they'll be a bit clearer for you.

In the back row, from left to right: "Black Velvet Rose" geranium, and Lemon Balm.
    In the second row, from left to right: "Patio" tomato, Maverick mix geranium, "Rose" lavatera, and Dill.
    The last two shots are of my Dwarf Sunflower, that is about to bloom! I only planted it from seed, just 2 and a 1/2 months ago! It's snowing outside, and I've got a nearly blooming sunflower! I love Winter!

Attached Files:

13. igrowwithleds

igrowwithleds Member

I just started romaine,chive,basil,cilantro and rosemary under my led grow lights. I have tomatoes and wheatgrass growing now with iris,alysums and peppers.

www.Sunshine-Systems.com

Take a look at the site. The gallery is amazing.

My basement is my new garden....:)
    i'll post pics in a few weeks..................:)

14. The Hollyberry Lady

Hey everyone!

I have 3 different light systems myself, but rarely have to use them because my sunny windows provide so much sun!

I grow peppers and tomatoes all winter long, in my south windows. Here's some pics of what my peppers and tomatoes currently look like (November 16th, 2008). The first two pics are my "Firecracker" hot pepper plant. The 3rd pic is of my "Aurora" hot pepper plant. The 4th pic is of my "Patio" tomato plant. All were grown from seed.

Attached Files:

15. The Hollyberry Lady

Hello

Just thought I'd show you the sunflower - now in bloom! (Nov. 20th, 2008)

Attached Files:

16. The Hollyberry Lady

Mmmmmmm.........a tomato plant in November! I grow it in my south window, near my many herbs, as well. I've already enjoyed a tomato from this plant a few days ago too! The pics were taken on November 28th, 2008.

Attached Files:

17. Joey Murillo

Joey Murillo Member

try using a lamp on the days there is no sun

18. The Hollyberry Lady

I have a 400w metal halide system, but usually don't need it until December. Even my 80w flourescent, does absolute wonders for all my seedlings!

19. rudell

rudell Active Member 10 Years

your also a canadian !!! I loveeeee your pepper plants...just beautiful..just showed my 12 yr old daughter and she thought it was soooo cool...your Aurora hot pepper...how does one or where is it you get your seeds???

20. The Hollyberry Lady

Hello rudell!

Thanks for the compliments! Send me a private message with a mailing address, and I'll mail some off to you! I have lots of seeds.......

21. rudell

I've pm'd you....thank you...I will definitely post pictures of everything...

22. rudell

I've received your enveloppe today...again thank you...enveloppe slit open and to dry for 2 weeks as per your instruction....woooo ooooo ...so excited...can't wait to show my daughter ...

23. The Hollyberry Lady

Hi rudell:

So glad you got the seeds! Excellent news. Yes, they should be ready to plant in a couple of weeks. Enjoy

24. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

I'm probably a bit late to chime in on the theme of indoor herb gardens, but when I lived up in the frozen norths of Alberta I used to do it every single winter. The only thing that I couldn't get to survive properly indoors was fennel (which I tried for the bulbs) so you're on the right track, DaveGriffiths. You're never wasting your time with plants!

25. pharmerlaura

pharmerlaura Member

Those are some pretty nice looking plants..Hollyberry Lady. We brought in a plant last year that we had out.. Ornamental Christmas pepper..unless there is another name for it. We put it back out last spring & it did very well..The peppers on it are really hot....