Trompenburg or Oshio Beni?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Hybrid Theory, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Hybrid Theory

Hybrid Theory Active Member

I have the chance to get one of these but not both. They are the same height at about 8 feet and they both are really healthy. I need opinions which one would you guys go for?

2. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Really depends on where its going. Trompenburg is 1/2 the size of Oshio beni, which gets to 30ft. Trompenburg is purple, Oshio beni more rust, then bronze. Trompenburg has unusual leaves, Oshio beni has unusual fall color (peach-red). If it were me, I would hock my car and buy both!! LOL!

3. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Here 'Trompenburg' has been quite vigorous, 25' { 8 m.} in as many years, whereas 'Oshio Beni' is around 10' {3.5 m.} at the same age . Maybe because the 'Trompenburg' is in more fertile soil than 'Oshio Beni'. Both nice , but prefer 'Oshio Beni' for it's brilliant fall colour lasting about a month usually and would rate it close to 'Osakazuki' for performance and habit. The 'Trompenburg' hasn't begun to spread out much yet, although have read it does with age. First 3 top pics are of 'Trompenburg' , then 3 of 'Oshio Beni'.

Attached Files:

4. Hybrid Theory

beautiful trees you have there. How big is the trunk on the trompenburg?

5. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

amazing trunk!
    i vote Trompenburg!if you have space.....
    grazie chimera for pics
    ciao

6. Hybrid Theory

well guys I ended up getting a 8' trompenburg, a 10' bloodgood for only $66.99. Guy said he doesn't want to deal with them anymore. Since I got them so cheap I'm looking on getting the Oshio Beni. The guy told me it had quite a bit of locust damage but he cut it out. Makes me wonder if I should get it or not? What do you guys think?

7. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

damage pics please!

8. swanny

swanny Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Not meaning to break in on your conversation concerning tree damage, but I wanted to post a pic of my 6ft 'Oshio beni' taken earlier this month. Tree receives almost no direct sun as it is planted under a canopy of mature oak trees. Pretty Fall and Spring colors though!

Swanny

Attached Files:

9. Hybrid Theory

well theres a little problem to that. Ya see I bought a camera from circuit city when it was going out of business and I've always hated the camera cause its a piece of crap. Well my camera learned how to fly yesterday when it would not take any pics. So as soon as I get a new camera I will take pics. Hope my wife doesn't find out : (

10. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

sorry about late reply, about 6" at 3' height, or 15 cm. at 1 m. height.