Maples in the fall

Discussion in 'Maples' started by JohanAbrandt, Oct 25, 2008.

1. JohanAbrandt

JohanAbrandt Active Member

Hi,

I have 6 JM:s, divided in 2 groups in terms of when and where they are planted.

This spring I planted A.P. Bloodgood, A.S. Aureum, A.P. Tsuma Gaki in SE corner of garden, windprotected, full sun 10-18 in summer.

This fall I planted A.P Osakazuki, A.P. Taylor, A.P. Sango Kaku, in N corner of garden, windprotected, full sun 11-sunset, raised bed.

Soil is light-clay.

The odd thing is that all trees in the first group has lost their leaves some week ago, while all trees in the second group are just moving to fall colors. How can this be? Difference in micro-climate? The raised bed keeping soil temperature up? Better drainage in the raised bed?

The trees in the first group were sun scorched after transplant (due to my lack of knowledge), could this be a reason?

2. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

That's the way they are, it happens all the time. I wish I knew all the reasons why Japanese maples lose their leaves. If the branches and buds look healthy, just do not worry.
    However a piece of advise would be to move A.s. 'Aureum' and A.p. 'Taylor' to a place protected from afternoon sun.

Gomero

3. JohanAbrandt

JohanAbrandt Active Member

Well, I am not that worried, it would just be interesting to know why it happens.

The plan is to shelter both Aureum and Taylor. The Aureum will be in the shadow of the Bloodgood in a few years. The Taylor is in a buried pot, and I´ll move it in the spring.

I live in Sweden though, so sun and hot winds is probably not my biggest concern =).