Recent purchaces

Discussion in 'Maples' started by krautz33, Oct 2, 2008.

1. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Oh, OK OK. Here's what's supposed to arrive from Esveld on 22/10. Some may be out of stock but mostly I order from the stock list.

A. argutum
    A. buerg. Nokoribo
    A. buerg. Goshiki shidare
    A. buerg. Mino yatsuba
    A. caesium ssp giraldii
    A. diabolicum
    A. distylum
    A. pictum ssp okomotoanum (replacement, don't expect it)
    A. platanoides Walderseei
    A. tschonoskii
    A. platanoides Tharandt (I killed one this year)
    A. davidii Karmen (killed one last year)
    A. capillipes 'Golden Increase'
    A. circinatum WB Hoyt
    A. cordatum
    A. japonicum Kujaki nishiki
    A. negundo Auratum
    A. oliverianum ssp formosanum
    A. pectinatum ssp forrestii
    A. pseudoplatanus Leat's Cottage
    A. robustum
    A. rubescens Summer Snow
    A. rubescens Yakushima nishiki
    A. rubescens Tickled Pink
    A. rubescens ssp rubesens
    A. rubescens Red Flamingo
    A. tenellum
    A. sieboldianum
    A. schneiderianum
    A. pentaphyllum
    A. longipes ssp catalpifolium (my 2nd, beautiful leaves)
    A. cappadocicum var tricaudatum

and finally, fairly large specimens of

A. palmatum Utsu semi (thanks to pics seen here)
    A. palmatum Koto no ito
    A. palmatum Higasa yama (I have killed many)

Other nurseries are involved in this year's purchases, but this is the single largest block!

Perhaps I should be embarrassed... Any way I have hardly any palmatums, but starting to have a few maples in the garden.

-E

2. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Wow Emery, good luck!!!

Gomero

3. katsura

katsura Active Member 10 Years

nice choices, emery! I have looked everywhere in USA for years for rubescens Summer Snow and
    Summer Surprise so I'm glad someone I know will eventually have one. Good luck.

4. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

You sure you don't own all of Normandie? :)

5. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

emery why not buy B.wakon nishiki?( in stock by Esveld)is one fetish maple like Distylum;)) my preferite, the best of ,my acer collection.....ciao

6. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Very exciting list!!! Please post pictures of your new treasures...

7. nelran

nelran Active Member

Well, not so close that you guys are, but finally I added to my collection two more specimens (3-4' tall) of Acer Shirasawanum 'Aureum' and 'Autumn Moon', from Diana. They are joining to the japonicum 'Acontitifolium' that I already got from her and others 2 of each ones in different sizes. This year also added +30 more cultivars from Sam. I running out of space pretty fast!!
    All of them are in good shape but I confess I have a special weakness for the japonicums and shirasawanums, so I have three of each one (just in case). As Paxi, K4, Poetry, and all others the infection is spreading....

Nelran

8. emery

Gomero, much luck is always needed... I will kill some (or they'll get eaten, or frozen before establishing) but hopefully most will come through. Normally if a plant that goes 2 years in the ground will survive future vicissitudes. Some of the ones on the list (like distylum and pentaphyllum) I have 2 coming, one to try in ground and another going into a pot. If both live my plan is to donate one to the Botanical Garden in Caen.

Mike, I love the rubescens, so when I saw these were available I couldn't resist. I suspect they will spend a couple of years in pots before going to ground, but we'll see what they look like. I have never seen Summer Surprise anywhere either, but I wonder how much difference there is between some of these variegated cultivars. We'll see. I have coming from another source A. morissonense (rubescens) 'Millicent.' This is a real rarety from the garden of JG Harris at Mallet Court nursery, difficult to graft, I've been trying to get it ever since I found out about it.

Alex, many thanks to you for pointing out the availability of some of these... I had Wakoh nishiki on my original list but had to cut back on having too many really high maintenance plants. For me this one doesn't go into the fetish category with distylum, but it certainly is very rare and lovely. I always regret not buying plants like this later when they can't be found, I'm sure that will be the case here too. But although each year I feel as though I need to get the maximum number of maples into the ground, so I can have a chance to enjoy them at some point, there really is a limit to what I can take care of. And each year I surpass it and promise to do less the following year. Never happens...

Sam, I think your garden is much bigger than mine... ;) But in fact I've opened up a field which is getting turned into arboretum, probably around 2.5 acres being planted. This is the 3rd year I'm planting in it. The locals are convinced I've lost one of my few remaining screws!

-E

9. whis4ey

These are my thoughts exactly on many of the plants I now see mentioned. In many of the cases I think that the nursermen are simply taking advantage of the 'collectors'
    hehehe
    You are starting to have ME worried too :)
    By the way ... interesting to see you and Alex admitting to having 'fetishes', even if it is only about maples :) LOL

10. alex66

bravo! good idea you are Mecenate!!
    now just for fun;
    my maple fetish list
    N°1 Distylum
    Drummondii
    B.Wako nishiki
    pictum Usugumo
    circinatum
    Walderseii
    no maple
    Davidia involucrata
    Sorbus Joseph Rock
    quercus Ilex
    ;))) ciao

11. McHoop

McHoop Member

I've not purchased anything recently. However, I am keeping my eye on a couple of "Dancing Peacock" specimens at a local nursery. I check weekly to see if they've been marked down like the other stock to 50% of original asking price. So far, they're still asking $130.00 for them. They're between six and seven feet tall. I'll pull the trigger if I can snag one for $65.00.

McHoop

12. nelran

nelran Active Member

Yep, IMHO, one of the best japonicums, and you're getting good size! You don't be wrong with this cultivar, very hard to beat. Leaves, flowers, nice form and shape, spectacular spring with buds and flowers, but most of all it is one of the very best for Autumn colors. I have two and they're doing excellent here.
    (Sooner or later you will get it and no matter the price...)
    Here some pics of mine cultivar, to help yo to decide to get it once for all...

Nelran

Attached Files:

13. krautz33

krautz33 Active Member 10 Years

Just recieved some new trees and they're awesome. Berrima bridge, Flavesence, watnong, beni shidare, arto, green globe, julian pend., ebony, ellen, pink lace and demi sec.

Krautz

14. Kaitain4

Those sound great! I've been lusting after a few of them - Demi Sec, Ellen, Flavscense, Ebony - for a while. I've been having a panic attack lately because I haven't been able to find a descent sized Ellen! Did you get these from Diana??

I just got in an order from Essence of the Tree. Very nice Yasemin, Seigen, Wilson's Pink, Fairy Lights. Nice trees, but I still think Sam and Diana take the cake as the Mail Order Queens of the Maple World! :-)

15. krautz33

Yes, I did get them from Diana, and yes they are definetly the queens of mail order from me as well. I try to give Diana a call once a week. During the mail order season, I hope she doesn't mind. She always spends alot of time with me.

Krautz

16. spookiejenkins

spookiejenkins Active Member

Hi Y'all,

I saw you mentioned 'Ebony'... Do you know much about this cultivar? I actually rescued a couple from a garden center and haven't had much luck in my search to find information. Is it known by another name? Does anyone know it's origins?

THANKS!!

17. krautz33

Call Diana at Topiary Gardens, she may be able to help you out. Mine is just a baby.

Krautz

18. katsura

krautz, some very nice green dissectums there! I especially love Ellen & Demi sec
    but all your list is great. Have fun.
    Kaitain, did u ever get my recent private message to you? I ask cuz no response
    from u which is unusual. I will resend if need be. Thanks.

19. Kaitain4

katsura,

No, I did not get your private message. Please re-send.

20. katsura

Kaitain, I had a suspicion you did not receive my private message cuz u did not reply
    and that is not like you. I resent the message this morning.
    I have sent private messages to others in the last month or 2 and believe they have
    not been delivered.

21. alex66

hi! today i received my order by Dick van der Maat,wonderful!i received "original"Taylor(two)Geisha,Diana,rubuscens Millecent,(two)and another maples introduced by this nursery,the link is www.dvandermaat.com
    ciao!

22. whis4ey

I didn't know that Dick Van der Maat did mail order?

23. emery

Mr Van der Maat has just mailed mine out too, according to his email. Can't wait to see! I also have Millicent and Taylor coming, as well as others...

-E

24. alex66

yes!Sam!ditto Emery!i received advice and news by Gomero about Dick,one evening in my home.....
    ciao

25. winterhaven

winterhaven Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

We just moved into our house last January. I was only able to take with me from the last house two that were in pots. Both mystery trees that were sold to me as something else. One is, I believe, a Katsura and is the first JM I ever bought. The second is probably a Bloodgood. Two JM's were on the property when we bought it, an uninspiring mystery and a phenominal, huge plain old Acer palmatum.

So I'm just starting over. This is what I've acquired this year...

Shin Deshojo
    Beni Shichihenge (40% off)
    Orangeola (15% off)
    Oshio Beni (15% off)
    Osakazuki (15% off)
    Hogyoku (15% off)
    Higasayama
    Orange Dream
    Autumn Moon
    Acer Griseum (40% off)

And on the property when we bought it were...
    Coastal Redwood (huge)
    400 year old Coastal Yew
    3 Rather Large Red Cedars
    A 30-40 year old Ornamental Cherry
    8 Golden Chain Trees
    2 Hawthornes
    Some other odds and ends

And to supplement those in order to create more privacy we got...
    Shore Pine (20 ft tall, we got it for almost 1/2 price)
    Sequoia
    Leland (baby)
    Cryptomeria (baby)
    Yellow Thread Cypress (50% off)
    Himalayan Paper Bark Birch (50% off)
    Japanese White Pine (I convinced a nursery guy to give it to me off the trash pile and I've repotted it and put it in quarantine till I see if it makes it, which I think it will)
    Japanese Pine Elf
    Gold Fresia Locust
    S. Magnolia Timeless Beauty
    S. Magnolia Little Gem
    Camellia Kramer's Red

I think that's it - and they're ALL in the ground (except a little Monroe Vine Maple that I'm probably taking back). Phew, no wonder I'm tired. But now I've got evergreens just about everywhere between me and the neighbors so in the future I can concentrate on the JM's.

And on my lust list...
    Ojishi
    Mejishi
    Aratama
    Kamagata
    Kawaii
    Peaches N Cream
    Villa Taranto

And the short list is too long to type.

I guess as an applicant to Maples Anonymous it's probably my turn to bring cookies to the next meeting. K4, will you be my sponsor? LOL