Have I killed my bamboo??????

Discussion in 'Poaceae' started by blessedmom3, Sep 23, 2008.

1. blessedmom3

blessedmom3 Member

Ibought some rhizones from a lady 50 miles away from me and planted them as soon as I received. Within 2 weeks I had bamboo starting to grow. I religously watered them every evening. Now what was growing has turned brown and soggy looking if that makes sense. When I nticed the first one dying, I thought I am over watering them, so I quit, but now they almost all look soggy and brown. I have a few which are doing great. They are planted 2-3 inches deep. I have horrible clay soil so I mexed in potting soil when planting. This really frustrates me, other than the money I spent, but I have never been able to kill anything. I can take a dead plant to bring it back. This kills me. Should I did up the rhizones or just wait until next spring and see what will happen? Please anyone HELP!!!!!

2. Cereusly Steve

Cereusly Steve Active Member

What are you calling bamboo? Is this a real bamboo or that so-called "lucky bamboo"?

Who told you to water it every evening? You don't water plants in the evening.

3. blessedmom3

blessedmom3 Member

Hello, I am hoping I bought bamboo and not reeds (lucky bamboo), and Lots of people tell me mot to water during the hot part of the day. Suggestions?

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Yes, the rotten ones are liable to be dead.

Here "reeds" are usually Phragmites or Arundo (giant reed). These are grasses, as are bamboos. Lucky bamboo is a non-grass, known botanically as Dracaena sanderiana.

5. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

You might want to cast an eye over a post made 2 weeks ago, entitled "sick plant: what to do?' (Original poster: dasha.) I agree with you: I do not water plants in the evening. However, there seems to be a difference of opinion on this issue! Read entry #8.

6. blessedmom3

blessedmom3 Member

Thank you for your reply. This helps.

7. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

I water my plants in the evening (and the morning) in summer, when required. I don't do this in winter though. i am sub tropical though. Just my 2 cents worth

Ed

8. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

I read this post title and it reminded me of the cure for cancer or something like that.

A lot of people love bamboo. But there are thousands who wish they could say "have I killed my bamboo".

9. cocobolo

cocobolo Active Member

blessedmom3:
    I am pretty new with the bamboo, but I note a couple of things you mentioned. I believe bamboo seems to prefer a well drained soil, and clay is far from that. Even though you have added a mix to your clay, it still may not drain, and it is just possible that the bamboo - if indeed that it what it is - has drowned. All my bamboos, about 30 or so except for 1 are in well drained soil. Guess which one isn't doing so well. I think you will find that bamboo does not need watering every day, except perhaps in a very hot dry spell in the summer, and I too do my watering first thing in the morning. I don't give them a lot of water, just enough to keep them moist. They seem to like that.