Acer palmatum 'Tsukasa Silhouette'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Kaitain4, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

I just recieved this plant from one of my trusted suppliers, on nothing more than a one line description: "Columnar green variety in the Amoenum group". I like columnar plants, so I had to spring for it. Looks to be quite lovely so far. I like the shape and serration of the leaves.

Attached Files:

2. spookiejenkins

spookiejenkins Active Member

I love the deep, almost blue green leaves.

I haven't heard of this one, so please, keep us posted with pictures! :)

3. pensylvaticum

pensylvaticum Active Member

Does this have another name?, as unfortunately under nomenclature rules this name is illegitimate mixing of Japanese and english.
    Thanks.
    P

4. Kaitain4

You have as much information on this as I do...

5. pensylvaticum

Thanks Kaitain,
    Maybe we will find more out. If I find anything I will let you know,
    All the best
    P

6. Kaitain4

Did a little more searching. This variety is listed on the Malliot Bonsai (France) site, so it is possibly of european origin.

http://www.maillot-erable.com/en/

Description is:

Leaves: green. This variety of palmatum shows the particularity of having a columnar tree shape.

Species: Acer amoenum
    Variety: TSUKASA SILHOUETTE
    Leaf colour: green leaves
    Leaf shape: palmated
    Adult height: greater than 4 meters

They also have their little symbol for a "rare" plant beside it.

7. pensylvaticum

Thank you very much.
    Brilliant piece of research. Unfortunately I no longer live in the UK, so I can not order this from Esvelt easily and this is sad, about this and other very interesting cultivar.
    Thanks again.
    P

8. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

It does really suck that availability of plants is determined so capriciously. It seems like there ought to be a way to open up the pipeline and still maintain a 'best practices' type of sanitation QC. The tide of consumerism often dissolves barriers is there a way to make it happen with JM's.

Just wondering/dreaming.

9. Kaitain4

10. Poetry to Burn

Thanks for that info K4.

I would but from World Plants anytime.

In my (off theme) post I was lamenting the crazy restrictions that keep plenty of cultivars out of reach for all but the most resourceful of collectors. Check out 'Book for Maples' -- it could be that many of those trees are rare still many are listed in the Euro and Japan catalogues. 'Kariba beni' is one plant that I particularly covet but when I glance through the 'Book for Maples' it's easily draw up quite a list.

Re: columnar form-- AS 'Garden glory' seems to make a tight column as well.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  11. Kaitain4

The restrictions may seem crazy, but with foreign insects destroying huge portions of our natural and ornamental landscapes (gypsy moth, japanese beetle, etc.) I do not feel inclined to begrudge them.

My current foreign lust is A.p. 'Aki tsumabeni', which I have not been able to find in the U.S. (my avatar is a picture of the leaf, see pics below).

I am fortunate enough to have a nice specimen of A.s. 'Garden Glory', but its not yet big enough to display the columnar habit.

Thanks!!

Attached Files:

12. pensylvaticum

Aki tsumabeni is a nice plant. I would love Sango nishiki which is the variegated Sango Kaku as well as Aki Tsumabeni, and so many more, but unless we try to convince the Agricultural departments, there will be cultivars lost from cultivation, as mentioned non specifically in Maples of the World some cultivars are lost from cultivation. Although this is not the only reason I do believe the change in plant movements plays a significant or dominant part in this or limited to very small numbers and isolated in individual countries eg.Asia inc. Japan, China, Australia, UE, or America.
    I am not inclined to continue this discussion.I think until somone chimes to the same tune. I will remain further silent on this matter after this reply as this just does not seem to be an issue mentioned and this is a seperate thread. I am concerning specifically to American Department of Agriculture policy and insects etc, as would other countries policies toward ornamental and vegetative plants.
    I also wish as a new Maple Society member that I could go to Japan concerning this matter but as I said unless there is some concensus I am not inclined to shout above the masses.
    I do see the Agricultural job with utmost respect but blanket bans and failure to go on the merits of individual species is NOT good policy and is not a valid arguement.Basis of individual species merit is where we disagree point and case.
    I do wish to make one point concerning Japanese beetles and Gypsy Moths, without eradication, after a century as they are in Europe, South America, Australia, and elsewhere with trade and commerce over the centuries, and continues. Like the rats with Bubonic plague these problems hitch a lift and insects get in all the time dispite attempts otherwise so I do understand, but as I stated about individual merits which include good nursery proceedure and certification it is posible to prevent and still allow ornamental, or vegetable plants without ecological damage which is a very important and relevent issue which you have brought to attention and I do agree with that point.
    There is an issue of how you completely eradicate insects movements as they are a billion number stronger than humans, trees and shrubs, and prevent ecological damage?? is a problem I just do not have the solution to, and as of yet nor does anyone else but this does not solve the problem, it just inhibits access to plants more than it affects insects.
    Maples as said are not prone to infestations of Borers,aphids, or other insects, virus nor diseases and they have few enemies in their natural habitat, so insects are not really an issue with this specific species which was the point.. Eg. There was a poisonus spider recently brought in a case of Bananas. Irony and pun intended.In Pa they are trying to halt the Ash Borer, well they have not suceeded and originated from Asia(?).
    Very Respectfully,
    P

Worldly_Wrangler likes this.
  13. spookiejenkins

spookiejenkins Active Member

Hi Gil,

I know exactly what you mean - I have a dreamy wish list I made with the help of 'Book for Maples'. I can't seem to find 'Koriba beni' though and you have me curious! What page is it on? My book was published in 2003 - maybe you have a newer one? That would figure!

14. Poetry to Burn

Spook,

You'll never find it with the spelling I provided.

'Kariba beni' is correct it's on page 170.

Anyone with scionwood???

Gil

15. Kaitain4

Oooh!! Me! Me! I'm raising my hand for scion wood!

16. pensylvaticum

Hi,
    I was informed by Mr. Mosquin(very sorry if I misspelled your name)there is a area for the trading of scion, plants, etc, but I have not been able to locate this. OOPs. I am wondering about trading where on UBC or who would be interested. I do have scion I would gladly trade for some scions of trees I do not have, or trade plants, etc.
    Kindest regards,
    P

17. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

No, it is not of European origin. Maillot gets its rare maples from Japan so I would assume it is of Japanese origin.

What is Ag??

Gomero

18. pensylvaticum

Gomero,
    In America it is Department of Agriculture. I was speaking specificaly of America but I was trying to forshorten rather than having to repeatedly write this long name.Sorry,I will make corrections so it is clear.

P

19. smalljaw

smalljaw Member

Tsukasa Nursery in Japan , first brought in to U.S. by the Southeastern Tour Group .

20. Kaitain4

Howdy! You're right down the road from me. How did you know about Tsukasa Silhouette?? Are you in the trade?

Regards,

21. smalljaw

smalljaw Member

How do . I first got one in 2005 . My parent tree is a little over 5' . Last year I had 22 and now they are in Franklin Co. . I used to live in White Bluff , Burns , and Fairview . It is a small world . Yes .

22. Kaitain4

Small world indeed. I would send you a private message and jaw with you about Southern maple culture, but you have private messages disabled! :-(

23. smalljaw

smalljaw Member

I will try to find where that thang is to able it .

24. Kaitain4

Thanks Cuz...

25. smalljaw

smalljaw Member

Good morning all . I followed Eric's instructions , hopefully that worked . thanks